main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Wing Series (Wraith Squad by Aaron Alliston) contain spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tordel_Mauve, Apr 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tordel_Mauve

Tordel_Mauve Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2001
    Just finshed reading Solo Command by Alliston last night, and wow what a great job he did. Solo Command was his best book, so far (still gotta read the last two, Alliston also did #9. Anyway was kinda dissapointed the Wraiths all kinda disappered, I think Alliston should start a new series as Stackpole did with Rogue Squadron. I'm glad the whole Ewok joke is over now too, got a little old after a while. That's about it, I welcome other's comments.

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    You don't need to have spoiler warnings for a book that has been out for a couple of years.

3. Erin Kenobi

Erin Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2000
    I love the whole X-Wing series - Wraith Squadron and Rogue Squadron. "Starfighters of Adumar"(the ninth one and written by Allston) is one of my favorite books.

4. kyodeo

kyodeo Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2000
    These books rock. They are great new characters! It's refreshing to meet some new people because how many times can luke, leia and han save the galaxy really? and you are right they are very well written too. great characters, great humor, great action sequences! it's perfectly captures the feel of star wars

5. Tordel_Mauve

Mar 7, 2001
    Sorry about the spoilers thing, wasn't sure, better safe than sorry.

Anyway I'll prolly start up on Issard's Revenge, and I'll get to see how Stackpole handle Myn Dynos (Alliston's char). Wonder if anything w/him and Lara/Kirney is gonna happen...

6. Tordel_Mauve

Mar 7, 2001
    Forget something in my last post, isn't Alliston gonna write a NJO book too? Or this just a friend of mine twisting my leg?

7. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    He will be writing two NJO novels. They will have Wedge as a main character. The Wraiths are back. I don't know if this means the unit is being reborn, or the characters are back.

8. rexstardust

rexstardust Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks for the spoiler warning. I just started Solo command yesterday.

9. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I think Isard's Revenge was the most disappointing of the all nine books.

10. CountJared

CountJared Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2000
    peregrine, I would have to agree.

11. TheJadedMaster

TheJadedMaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2001
    hey just a ? where was luke during all these critical times for the new rep. i mean wouldnt you want the best starfighter in the galaxy to help out. plus his use of the force could help out in those comando situations????????

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It's spelled Allston not Alliston. It's a common mistake.

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I love the X-Wing books. We need more of them. More! I met Michael Stackpole and had him sign all of the books that he wrote in the series, Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, Krytos Trap, Bacta War and Isard's Revenge. He is a really cool author. The best books were Bacta War and Wedge's Gamble.

14. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I think the best one of the series was Iron Fist, and it is easily one of my favorite EU novels ever. The scenes where Face goes back for Phanan even though he's as good as dead, made me believe that there still were some really great charcters in the EU, and IMHO, these Wraith books are the heart and soul of the EU. I think most out there would agree for obvious reasons.

15. Cosmin-Coral

Cosmin-Coral Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2001
    I'm re-reading Allston's books at the moment and I agree he has some of the best characters around. I particularly like Kell Tainer facing (and scaring?) Wes Janson when he realises he's been wrong about him. (Book: Wraith Squadron)

16. Tordel_Mauve

Mar 7, 2001
    I agree, that scene was a very compelling one. It made you feel for Kell, and eventually for Janson, who explains the pain he had in dealing with killing his own squad-mate. Sorry about the spelling mistake in his name, guess I never really looked at it that closely, oops, my bad. =)

17. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    I loved em, not as much as Stackpole, but still...they were good. I didn't like Myn though, a bit too weird, im sorry. And im not buying the whole romance with Lara, she's too smart for that.

18. Thrawn666

Thrawn666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2001
    absolutely fantastic books, though im not sure which one is my favorite as i have not read the starfighters of adumar yet.
    what i really like about allstons books is that he blends in some humor which a lot of other authors tend to leave aside.

"Attention Implacable , be advised youve just become the victims of dinner squadron.
    and silly squadron, consider yourselves humiliated, and welcome to folor. out."

me personally i really liked the myn donos character, because you never really knew what to think of him, real strange dude. i like strange people. but the romance between kell tainer and tyria sarkin was pretty weak i thought. too simple somehow. (how long did you want me? ) uuuhh.

19. Yar_Kaii

Yar_Kaii Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    "It's refreshing to meet some new people because how many times can luke, leia and han save the galaxy really? "

I agree with you totally! I guess the EU lives BECAUSE the new and refreshing chars! there can´t be just two or three people saving the galaxis. there must be new cool people. and stackpole was the first one, i suppose, who really bring in new chars in a major role like corran horn and he also didn´t wrote about luke, leia or han. they had their buisness to do, but the main chars of his books have now the opportunity the help the Republic.

the first book i own was "Rogue Squad" and i like the book from the beginning. i read the whole stackpole series and the allston books too, exept "Starfighters at Adumar".
    The first time i read "Wraith Squad" i was disappointed because it seems that allston attempt to integrate a "second" corran horn called Kell Tainer. But as he replace kell as a main char and bring on Face the books become not even a higher quality but more fun too! i liked allstons humor with these running gags between the wraiths or face and ton kidding each other.

but i am very disappointed that all other writers rejected the storyline of the wraiths. its like there wasn´t a wraiths squad in the republic army ever. :(

20. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    Well...the reason I can forgive other writers for not using the wraiths is tt they were attached to Cracken's Intelligence branch. So they probably wouldn't have been on regular operations with the rest of the fleet

21. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Chin up, Yar_kaii, the Wraiths will be back next year in a new duology. Whether Allston will bring back all or most of our faves remains to be seen, but the Wraiths will be back in one form or another. WOO-HOO !!!

22. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    The Wraith books were pretty good, and I am very glad that Allston is doing 2 NJO books. I liked his X-wing books actually better than Stackpole's, maybe because they had more humor in them? I'm not quite sure.

23. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    yes, Liana, I liked Allston's books alot better than MAS'. Maybe cuz Allston's characters were much more fleshed out and real than a good majority of the other ones floating around the EU.

24. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    I loved the Wraith books, even tough I didn't like Kell Tainer, I thought he was better fleshed out than Corran Horn whom he seems to parallel. I also like how the Wraith books seemed to focus on each of the characters equally while Corran, Wedge, and Tycho seemed to monopolize most of the Rogue Books.

25. Jagged_Fel

Jagged_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2000
    Adumar is THE best SW book & the Wraith book come in close behind. Face is one of the best characters & the humor in these books can't be beat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.