main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Wing Series (Wraith Squad by Aaron Alliston) contain spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tordel_Mauve, Apr 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yar_Kaii

Yar_Kaii Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    in the Allston NJO books it will be very interistaing how he handle with the end of "solo command".
    he must explain what happened to Myn, Face and the others during the years.
    maybe we will see Lara Notsil (u know whom i meant even if she has different names) again in the books and maybe she will re-united with myn. that would be awesome! two broken hearts will find each other again in love while they are defending the galaxis...

2. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    The X-Wing books have been my favorite. I have read each of them several times. These charicters seem to be the best developed of the starwars universe, and the closest to people we can actually relate to. I just want to see more of them

3. hobbie6195

hobbie6195 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 1999
    I love Allston's books..They're probably my favorite. He wrote Janson very well. :)

One of my online buddies went to a con in NC, and Mr. Allston was there. He said that he would be writing some stories for "SW Gamer", and one would feature Myn Donos and "a certain young lady".

Use your imagination. ;)

4. Jedi_Master_Allya

Jedi_Master_Allya Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I LOVE the Wraith Squadron books! The only way to make them better would be to have Pash Cracken in them... :D Pash Cracken: the galaxies best little used character.

5. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I really love the way that Allston had a different main character (in some ways) in each book. I'm reading Wraith Squadron for the fourth or fifth time now and I'm still laughing as hard as I did when I first read the book a few years ago.

6. Yar_Kaii

Dec 8, 2000
    allstons humor is unique and brilliant!
    all these little running gags are really funny!
    and he always something nobody expected.
    i remember this scene were wegde must fly the TIE fighter with a Ewok-puppet.

7. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    anybody know if he's going to write another one...there are so many places that he could put them...befor NJO or during, there's enough conflict

edit-repitition

8. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    Do people think the original Wraiths should be there in the new books?
    Personally, I think they should, but what sort of role remains to be seen. How old will they be? Because that could determine if they are believable or not.

9. Erin Kenobi

Erin Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2000
    I think the Wraiths should be in the new books. They're getting older but they're not too old yet.

10. SexyElf

SexyElf Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2001
    They wouldn't be VERY old...assuming they were in their mid twenties at the start of their series, wouldn't they be in their thirties during the NJO? Of coarse, I don't think that they are going to be in one squadron...they would have had to been promoted SOME time during those years...:D

I like the idea of fitting them into the timeline like during the Bantam books- the NJO is now focused on the big boys- Luke, Leia, etc, but why not add some unknowns to the bunch to flesh out the story in different places? Me like!

~ Sexy Elf

11. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    I dont know how they would be in their thirties, as it says on the timeline it (the Wraith series) begins 6.5 years after Ep 4. The NJO begins 25 years after, meaning its 18.5 years in between. If they were in their mid-twenties, they are 42/3, even if they were 20, they would be 38. This seems a little old to me, but I guess they won't be too old, Wedge being 50-ish. I thought flying was a young person's game, Wedge a veteran at 27, so at 40 + I don't know how sharp they would be.

12. Yar_Kaii

Dec 8, 2000
    i guess nobody really cares in the EU how old somebody is. i suppose han was in the mid-twenties or even 30 years old. then he is over 50 years at the poit of the hand of thrawn storys. the authors don´t mentioned how old he is, they wrote him as he was still the same aged smuggler from ANH.
    so i think it wouldn´t matter how old the wraiths really are in the NJO, the only thing is that allston write them younger then they are.

13. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I know they make Wedge and the others in the NJO seem like some old geezers who can barely move around at times. I mean they are only in their mid 50's that's really not that old.

14. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Wildwookiee, youssa right. Allston made the best EU characterization, without any doubt. And he had the funniest & most intelligent quotes in every SW books.

15. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    "hey just a ? where was luke during all these critical times for the new rep. i mean wouldnt you want the best starfighter in the galaxy to help out. plus his use of the force could help out in those comando situations????????"

Luke can't be everywhere. There are a lot of x-wing squadrons. He can't be in all of them just cause he's good at flying x-wing's. Besides he was looking for people to train as Jedi. He was rebuilding the Jedi or at lest starting to try.

16. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    And thank god LFL/Bantam didn't insist on his playing a (large) role in the x-wing novels.

I think the x-wing series is regarded as one of the best series by the sw lit community PRIMARILY because it basically started with fresh characters.

Another factor was the era- still during the height of the galactic conflict, and part of it still when the NR wasn't really established.

I think that Del Rey and LFL should take note of this, and do something about it.

as an endnote, I would also like to just say that I think the x-wing series is the greatest- both authors. The characters, the era, the action, the _REALISM_, the stories... just brilliant. thanks be allston & stackpole for breathing new life into the EU.

17. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Myn Donos is one of my favorite EU characters ever. I could relate to him because he actually had mental problems, which it seems is very rare in the EU. I found his character very intriguing. Iron Fist is still one of my favorite books.

18. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    yeah I love Allston's books he's a great writer w/ a great sense of humor and he makes things very realistic. I admire Allston and Stackpole for their ability to make 12 new characters and then fit them into the sw universe, then replace some of the ones that died hehe. I can't wait till Allston's 2 books come out, Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream and Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand You can go to his site at www.arronallston.com

19. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    sorry about that typo its www.aaronallston.com

20. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I have no doubt that once again he will create new characters and create new situations that will make for excellent reading and probably surpass my very high expectations (no pressure... :D ) but I can't help but be mournful when I realise that the old characters (or at very least, old characters in the context of...) the old situations will never be dealt with again.

The xwing novels were the only ones that made me feel that way.

I remember when Stackpole announced that he'd done his last (which turned out to be his SECOND last) xwing novel he said that a friend of his (allston) was going to write the next few novels around different characters i went "WHAT?!!?" and got similarly mournful and resentful of bantam/lfl. But wasn't I surprised!

21. Kelly

Kelly Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    For those who liked Myn in the Wraith books and are hoping to see how he's doing in Isard's Revenge, don't hold your breath. He's there, but his part is very small. He is pretty much a cameo.

22. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah, a couple years ago when i read the X-Wing books i was very dissapointed when Myn was barely in Isard's Revenge.

23. DarthNapoleon

DarthNapoleon Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    Wraith Squadron was better than the Rogues

24. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I loved all the books in the X-Wing Series, for different reasons.

For humor, read Allston's books.

If it's action you're after, read Stackpole's.

Question though. Stackpole created Corran Horn, correct??

25. Jedi_A1A

Jedi_A1A Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    Yes MAS creating Corran. That's why I like him so much. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.