main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"X-Wing: Solo Command," by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1999]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 6, 2003.

?

“Solo Command,” by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1999]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

60.8%
  2. 9

17.6%
  3. 8

13.7%
  4. 7

5.9%
  5. 6 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 (Average)

2.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/solocommand.gif]

Summary:
    The hunt for Warlord Zsinj intensifies as Alliance officials realize that he's a greater danger than what's left of the Imperials. The hunt for his ship, the Iron Fist is underway as Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron unite, under Wedge's command, for the first time. In scenes reminiscent of the hunt for the Nazi battleship, Bismark, Alliance forces will harry and eventually make an all-out assault on the Super Star Destroyer.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'll show you cretins what for! This is a review!

Where to begin. Let's just start with this -- Aaron Allston wrote the only Star Wars book EVER that has inspired me to read fan fiction. And I've been an active SW RPG gamer for 16 years, so it's not like I haven't been interested in fan creations!

In no particular order...

The "no ranks allowed" party.
    The "no boot" scene.
    Wedge's revenge on Janson.
    Myn and Lara.
    Wedge's belief in happy endings.
    The irregular usage of MSE droids.
    Kolot.
    The origin of "Kiss my Wookiee?"

This book had everything. Humor, action, furballs (space and Ewok), drama, tragedy... all wrapped up in a convenient, paperback-sized package.

I give this book a 10/10.
    (did I mention ONLY book that made me want to read Fan Fic? Ever?)

4. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I give it a 10. This is one of the best.
    "Nice rear, Lt!" Plus we find out who Ton Phanan was going to give his money to if Face didn't have his scar removed. (And Tetran Cowall is a LOSER!!!)

Plus, we meet a real life Kettch, we see Lara get by okay, Myn finally recovers, etc. It's perfect. Plus I like seeing Han in command. Especially when he starts teasing Wedge about how he'll put in a reccomendation for Wedge to get an instant promotion.

5. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    10 :D

I think that dp4m & Guinastasia stated it perfectly. :D

As per normal dp4m ;)

6. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    10. Another excellent edition to the X-Wing series, again Allston is spot on with the humor, especially when Janson ends up naked in front of everybody. That scene was hilarious.

7. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    my fave X-wing book so far! (i haven't read very many....yet)

8. DarthJDDavis

DarthJDDavis Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    9-10

Loved this book! It had the perfect mixture of action, drama, and humor. The only thing I didn't like what Han Solo, he just seemed to not stay true to Harrison Ford's potrayal in the movies.

9. Tha_Corran_Terrik

Tha_Corran_Terrik Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2003
    10/10 Great book, as are all of them :) I agree with the first review. Han Solo is well portrayed, "Kiss my Wookiee."

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Another great Allston book. I love how he cleared up some of the inconsistencies in The Courtship of Princess Leia.

"Kiss my Wookiee!"

11. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Aaron Allston is a genius, pure genius. This is the best Star Wars book I've read. I even read parts of it out loud to my child.

The next time I get called into my manager's office, I taking off my right shoe and putting on the desk.

"Nobody looks dignified when they are having fun" <------ This is wisdom!

I'm even bent on doing a Lt. Kettch costume! [face_shocked]

12. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    7 out of 10. As with all the Wraith Squadron X-Wing, I thought it wasn't as funny as some people think they are, and I just don't like them as much as the Stackpole ones.

wolf

13. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I gave the book a 9. It was a good book, although I haven't read it in a while, I can't really come up with any facts to support my vote. But I did like the book and it was very good; I liked how the author decrisbed him as a general and how he acted. It was a very good book all the way around.

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.