1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

SWRPF Archive X-Wing: Spearhead

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Meerkat Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    OOC: Well, normally I go for landing and sabotaging the shields, turrets, and engines from withing, then follow up with marines to capture the ship totally...but that's BII.

Post coming soon.
  2. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    OOC: [face_laugh]

That is pretty hard to do with a small number of starfighters with out exposing them to a good array of weapons fire, plus getting into a ImpStar fighter bay is hard given it is under the ship (not on the side like in BF II) and you would have go up from uderneath while exposed to cannon fire. "Trench Run" syndrome is usually more effective
  3. RogueAce7 Jedi Master

star 4
    OOC: I like using what Prenn said. That manuever that makes the Imps fire on themselves is called the Ackbar Slash. Take the squadron down the middle, and either the SD's open up on us and hit eachother, or don't fire at all. With the X-Wings as small as they are, Imp gunners have a small chance of hitting us--just keep in mind that a hit will vaporize you, not merely damage you.

I say we make a pass down through the middle, and try to draw their fire at eachother. With any luck, maybe they'll eliminate some of the TIE threat as well.

After our pass, we loop around, form up, and give a SD a torpedo salvo. Each of us arms two. A concentrated barrage of torps can collapse the shields. Then, we follow up with another volley, 1 torp each. That'll give them a huge gaping hole in the hull, and hopefully will make them run. We do the same with the other SD, as well.

Also keep in mind that if the SDs start to run, the TIEs are going to have to get back to them, since they don't have hyperdrives. So if we get the Destroyers to run, the TIEs will turn tail, and will be easy pickings for us. One flight just has to keep the TIEs from harassing the rest of us while we deal with the SDs.
  4. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That works better in theory than actualy use, and the salvo would only take down the shields if you hit weak points in the shielding such as the shield globes on the conning tower of an ImpStar. What you are talking about is something that Rogue squadron could pull off not exactly a squadron that in this game has yet to even fly together so the precision and team work will probably be lacking being a serious issue for the squadron. Passing between the SD's could help but could as be a big draw back, you risk concentrated fire between the two in hard to predict paterns but your blast tinting on the canopy will be shifting and changing a lot which can have a negative effect on your ability to see while trying to juke and jink betwee blasts. Plus there is the comm static that coms with turbolaser salvos that woudl be a detriment to trying to keep a squadron coordinated while passing between the two SD's and the combined discharge of the their turbolasers.

A trench run up one SD would work a bit better given one SD would quite literally be giving you cover from the other, you would be hugging close to the hull of the ship making the turrets less effective given that they are not usually designed to fire flat across the hull of the ships. The problem with a trench run along the hull is lack of manuevering space for the fighters sure to be chasing you down the run.

In all realistic practice the chances of actually completing a mission like this with a squadron that has never flown together before is extremly low, you are facing a numerically superior force with limited supplies unlike the crews. I coudl see starting off training with one SD but two does seem a bit........absurd to try taking down in an uproven squadron's first mission together. More than likely this will be a failed attempt but a good training idea, it will allow you to see just how well you work with the other players more than actually completing such a mission. If my memory correct I remember Rogue Squadron was only able to take down a single ImpStar on their own not two fully armed ships in a direct and unsupported offensive.

EDIT: Oh yes and the chances of the Imperials actually fleeing from a single starfighter squadron are very low in reality. Most imperial commanders do not look at starfighters being a serious threat, and through such remain very overconfident about being able to overcome such a small group of fighters. Also it seems the idea is to destroy the ImpStars as much as possible not just inflict damage, you would want to take out the engines of the ImpStar to prevent fleeing while you call reinforcements to replinish your numbers and combat ability
  5. RogueAce7 Jedi Master

star 4
    OOC: Well, Ewok, I think we can all agree that a mission like this is suicide. So, in effect, we just have to come up with the best tactic that's going to do the most damage, short of crashing our fighters into the bridge. And, we'll have to execute this one with as much discipline and skill as we can muster, even though as a squadron we're still training. Believe me, I agree with all your points. We just need to agree on a tactic that'll do the most, and do it.
  6. Darth_Meerkat Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    OOC: Getting back on topic...maybe our characters should know what we're planning...it would help, seeing as they're the ones risking their made-up lives. And I have nothing else to do with a leg brace on (long story.)

IC: Tharc

Tharc looked at the Star Destroyers on his screen. This could be a bit of a challenge. He looped his fighter around to slip into formation with Janson. He opened a COM channel to 2 and 3 Flights.

"I'm not sure, but I think that SDs have the worst firing angle going up towards space over the command tower, or it should be the one with the least turrets. If we can take out the sensor domes, I think it should be a bit easier to fly around without the turrets receiving constant updates on our positions. It would them be a matter of time before we could hit the shields, COM tower, and engines. Anyone other than me think that'll work?" Tharc brought up a wire schematic of a Star Destroyer and a space around it, and highlighted a small strip of space in red, indicating the path he thought they should take. He quickly compressed it, and sent it out in an auto opening COM package.

TAG: Flights 2 and 3
  7. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    IC: Izen Dagar
    Sim Runs

He shook his head as he listened to the chatter over the comm, such would never do heading into a combat situation. The squadrons focus should be entirely on getting ready to start the mission, not mindless small talk. Ugh, how unprofessional are these people, for all that is holy keep focused on the mission for one damn minute he thought to himself in disgust at his squadmates actions. At least that cathar woman did not talk up a storm, it was good to know that such a sensible pilot was his wingmate.

Just then the sim run started revealing two ImpStars in the middle of his view with Thor coming over the command channel "Alright squad, here is what we are going to do. Split up into flights. Flight one, we are going to stay and take the Eyeballs (Ties). Flights 2 and 3, you guys are going to go after the SD's. Work together, and go one at a time. S-Foils to attack possition. Here we go!"

Then a few seconds later over the comm he heard one of pilots say "I'm not sure, but I think that SDs have the worst firing angle going up towards space over the command tower, or it should be the one with the least turrets. If we can take out the sensor domes, I think it should be a bit easier to fly around without the turrets receiving constant updates on our positions. It would them be a matter of time before we could hit the shields, COM tower, and engines. Anyone other than me think that'll work?" as well as sending a schematic.

Thumbing his comms activation switch he replied ?That might work though over all a trench run along the hull as close to and between armor plating as possible might be the best bet given you will be using the ship as cover from the other ImpStar and be able to assualt the gun emplacements with lasers on the way towards the conning tower and the shields. After the shields I would suggest taking out the engines and bridge. This your call flight leader.? falling into position behind the rest of the other fighters, waiting for his flight leader to issue orders. Either way he was glad this was a simm run otherwise it would be total suicide to try risking such, some how though he though it would probably end up being an actual situation soon enough.

TAG: Flights 2 and 3
  8. Jedi_Caesar Force Ghost

star 4
    IC:Kith Xiese

Kith maneuvered his fighter at the right side of Ralla's fighter.
    And said over the comm:"So the shield generators are our first targets right Ralla?"
    "Each wing performs the trench run and wipe's out one generator at the time?"

TAG:Ralla,Wes,all
  9. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    OOC: As you guys have been discussing, and I with Jedi_Caesar and now Prenn, going up against a SD that can carry at least 72 tie fighters (even more if they're not carrying anything else, as they're known to carry large equipment and AT-AT's) plus another SD. So that's at least 144 tie fighters, not including the chance of them carrying only ties. Put those against a mere seven x-wing fighters...this isn't a possibility of suicide...it is suicide. I don't even think the movies got that lucky.

Oh yeah, and not to mention the advanced targeting systems they have. They're built of speed and can keep up with looping fighters. They might not even fire, as someone pointed out that x-wings aren't considered a threat...all they need to worry about is sending those fighters they have stored in there and let them do the dirty work for them.

IC as Ralla Teris

Ralla listened in and noticed Kith's ship come up to the side of hers. She stared ahead and shook her head.

"So the shield generators are our first targets right Ralla?"

"Yeah...I guess that's what the plan is...even in a simulator it's suicide..." She mumbled and shook her head again.

What were they thinking. Maybe a trench run would work, but...they had so little numbers against such large ones. Thank the Force...or whatever it was, she thought, that this is a simulator...

Tag: Kith and Chimeras
  10. DancesWithBlasters Jedi Master

star 4
    IC: Conner

Conner hadn't said a word the whole time, horror striking him silent. As so many others had said, this was suicide. There was no way they could actually get out alive, much less win! To say strategy was a weak point of Conner's was to be overly kind. He followed directions and did the best he could, but when suddenly confronted with a disastrous situation, he tended to freeze up.

"Shavit," he swore quietly. Attempting to pull his focus back, he listened as the others spoke, eyebrows knitted. TIEs were better than Destroyers, at least, and it was easier to make them mess up than it was to bring a huge ship down. But there were just so many of them!

TAG: Chimeras
  11. Thor_Nietzsche Jedi Padawan

GM- Hey guys. Okay, this is the system we are going to use for in battles. We are just going to test it out on this sim run, and then the next we will test out a different system. We are going to operate by flights. What's going to happen is this. You and your flight are going to decide what to do, with your objectives in mind. You will make all the IC posts you would like, and when your flight leader feels you are ready, he/she will either post or PM me a request for an Imp post...and it will go in that cycle. My PM box is open for questions/complaints. But MASTERPRENN is game banned, so if you want a reply in the next 24 hourrs, PM this account. Great job!

Also, for the purpose of this run, we are only going up against 6 squads of Ties.
  12. Sith_Lords Force Ghost

star 4
    IC: Ar'Jar Vena

Ar'Jar listened to the flutter of com chatter - Strategies. Who needs 'em. It's just a simulation. He thought to himself. A saying his father had told him filtered through. "The simplest plan is the most effective. They will be expecting something much more complex."

Ar'Jar looked down at his controls, to see a link to his astromech droid. "Hey, you got a name little fella?" The droid whistled - and the translation sped across his tactical read out. AFFIRMATIVE - R3-O8P. Ar'Jar sighed. "That is your designation number, do you not have a name like mine?" A whistle, and another translation. NEGATIVE. A pause. I AM ASSIGNED TO FLIGHT OFFICER AR'JAR VENA. "Yes I know that. That is me." AFFIRMATIVE. "How does that information even come close to answering my question?" UNKNOWN. "Ok. Let's try something else. Is there nothing unique to you. Just you?" I AM INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION MODEL R3-08P. "Great. That is hardly unique information is it?" NEGATIVE - THAT DESIGNATION NUMBER IS UNIQUE TO ME AND ME ALONE. "Ok, Ok, forget I said anything. R3 just doesn't sound right to me." WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT? "Let me put it this way, how many R3 models were produced by IA?" 12,142,734,918 TO DATE. THEY ARE STILL BEING PRODUCED. "You see, that is what I mean. How many of those 13 billion droids do you think are known as R3?" DATA INACCESSIBLE. I AM SORRY TO INFORM YOU I DO NOT HAVE THAT INFORMATION AT HAND. "It was a rhetorical question. Besides you don't even have hands!" I DID NOT REALIZE IT WAS RHETORICAL. I WAS SIMPLY USING TERMINOLOGY YOU WOULD RECOGNISE. "Ok then. Do you have any special features I should know about?" I AM A STANDARD INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION R3 MODEL. "That will not do. Remind when we get out of the Sims to find out if we can get some upgrades for you." AFFIRMATIVE. "Back to the point at hand..." Ar'Jar paused, listening to the different tactics being thrown out over the com. He noted that he had been talking to R3 for approximately 2 minutes. "Do you want a nickname, do you want to be unique?" AFFIRMATIVE. "Any ideas?" R3. "Shavit!" Ar'Jar hit the sim in frustration. "Other than that?" HOW ABOUT The droid paused. R3. It suddenly dawned on Ar'Jar. "Oh I get it, you think your funny do you?" BY ANALYSING YOUR VOCAL PATTERNS I CAN DETECT THAT YOU ARE 2% ANNOYED AT ME, WHERE AS YOU ARE 73% AMUSED. THIS IMPLIES YOU THINK I AM FUNNY. "Ar'Jar laughed. "Strange little fellow aren't you?" HOW DO YOU MEAN STRANGE? "Never mind. I guess the words I was looking for were Odd and ball. There you go. What do you think of that for a nick name?" I AM ODDBALL. "Excellent." Ar'Jar looked at the Chrono. 2.5 minutes had passed. "Oddball analyse the ISD for weaknesses." Something suddenly dawned on him, and he flicked the com to his Wing channel, and received a package from Skirata.

"Nice plan. A wise man told me once that the simplest plan is the least expected. Get your astromech to zoom in on their turbolaser turrets. They're gaurding that passage. Look at the smaller laser turrets. They know their weaknesses. Let's just hope their commander is a Noob." Ar'Jar paused. "I would say we cause a diversion. Send a group of our most talented pilots, who can hold their own under fire, to follow that plan, whilst all attention is on them, we destroy the shield generators, and launch a couple of Torps-" A tweetle interupted him. "Ok. Change of strategy - Oddball says that the only weakness is the Ackbar Slash. Why not have Flights 2 and 3 execute the Ackbar Slash, whilst Flights 5 and 7 take out the shield generators and then the hangar bays. They will have to be unnoticed, Flights 2 and 3 will need to create a big diversion."

TAG: Chimera
  13. Darth_Meerkat Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    IC: Tharc

"Nice plan. A wise man told me once that the simplest plan is the least expected. Get your astromech to zoom in on their turbolaser turrets. They;re gaurding that passage. I would say we cause a diversion. Send a group of our most talented pilots, who can hold their own under fire, to follow that plan, whilst all attention is on them, we destroy the shield generators, and launch a couple of Torps-" A tweetle interupted him. "Ok. Change of strategy - Oddball says that the only weakness is the Ackbar Slash. Why not have Flights 2 and 3 execute the Ackbar Slash, whilst Flights 5 and 7 take out the shield generators and consequently the hangar bays. They will have to be unnoticed, Flights 2 and 3 will need to create a big diversion."

Tharc looked over the wire frame more carefully...he was right. The turrets were pointing up along that path.

"Alright...so who are we calling the best pilot?"

TAG" 2 & 3
  14. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    OOC: From what i have read the most uses of the Ackbar Slash were used more with larger capitol ships in outnumbered engagements more than starfighters. I do not remember such a move being used in connection with a single starfighter squadron compared to two ImpStars. I am suggesting a modification of the A-Wing slash with what we have available.

Sim Run

He listened as ideas come across the comm chanels, the Ackbar slash sounded like a good idea but not all that likely to work given that half the guns would still be in position to fire upon the other starfighters. Thumbing his comm h spoke his idea ?While the Ackbar Slash is a good idea it still presents a problem to those outside of the area between the ships, that tactic is more for fleet on fleet engagements than our situation. Only half the ImpStar would be bringing its guns to bear on those in between them and in all likely hood they wouldn't bother firing between the ImpStar's to take out a handful of starfighters when they have vastly superior numbers of starfighters to take out our squadron. I would think hiding one with of starfighters in the exhaust of trails of another flight and making a dive at the ImpStar then the covering flight spliting just before reaching the ImpStar drawing the fire of the guns while theoretically allowing the ?hidden? flight through while the guns are distracted to assualt the shield generators. The overlaping shields of the covering flight should be able to absorb more damage than single starfighter could normally with stand. Once again it is your call Flight Leader? then waited for the flight leader's response.

TAG: flights 2 & 3

15. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    (ooc: regarding the Impstar, people seem to be disproportionately concerned about the turbolasers. Impstars don't have much in the way of anti-Starfighter weaponry, hence why they carry several TIE Squadrons. Their big guns are big and slow, intended for tearing up capships and orbital bombardment and stuff. Any competent pilot in a decent fighter craft shouldn't have too much to worry about from an ImpStar's guns)
  16. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    OOC: That is very true Sephy but turbolasers do have a blast radius after the beams which could be dangerous to starfighters, it is very true that they carry much less in the way of anti-starfighters for the afore mentioned reason of not considering starfighters a major threat which is why they carry a large number of starfighters. Also the lack of anti starfighter weapons on ImpStars is why trench run syndrome was so effective on Imperial Star cruiser through the Galactic Civil war. Such a strike is what helped take down the Executor :p
  17. RogueAce7 Jedi Master

star 4
    IC: Wes Janson

Wes raised his eyebrow as the sim came to life. Us against two Destroyers? That's overkill if I've ever seen it. Thor immediately came across the comm.

"Alright squad, here is what we are going to do. Split up into flights. Flight one, we are going to stay and take the Eyeballs (Ties). Flights 2 and 3, you guys are going to go after the SD's. Work together, and go one at a time. S-Foils to attack possition. Here we go!"

Tharc shot off his idea first, followed by others. "These are all good plans, but each have their own drawbacks. Still, I have to agree with Twelve that the Trench Run idea is quite effective. If each flight heads through the trench on the outside of each Destroyer, then pops out of the trench by the engines, the ion wash should be enough to hide us for that second we're exposed before we reach the first shield dome. We take out that one, then the other. If we go by wingpairs, the first pair takes out the generators while the second holds off any TIEs from the rear. Afterwards, I'm not sure. We could hit the bridges seperately, or regroup, or...I'm not sure. Any way we do this, a lot of us aren't going to get through this run."

He sighed. "Twelve, your last idea has merit, but even with all our shields overlapping like that, one hit from a turbolaser and it's all over for more than one of us. Plus, grouping together like that in the open increases our chances of being hit by the Destroyers dramatically. Ralla, what do you think?"

Tag: Chimeras
  18. GraySaberFreque Jedi Master

star 4
    GM Approved

Name: Quelsa Tonacrry
    Species: human
    Appearance: Generally well built, black hair and gouqtee(sorry if that's spelled wrong, average height and weight
    Personality: Laid Back, overconfident
    Bad attributes (why they are an ?undesirable?): Doesn't follow orders sometimes, bad with most technology.
    Specialty (medic, sniper, slicer): Explorer and Piloting
    History:
    Quelsa Tonacrry was supposed to go into 3rd child slavery in Ter'Janiii at age 4. However, he escaped. On his getaway ship, he met a remote wich he fixed., they have been best friends ever since. He began exploring until he was 14 and returned to Ter'Janiii.

He lost his memory there and for 2 years he lived as an orphan in the gutanian gang in the undercity of Ter'Janiii.

When he was 17, he joined the rebels who supported the freedom of third children on Ter'Janiii. he was a good explorer and scout.

After the battle of Ter'Janiii, which failed though it did considerably weaken the Imperial hold in the reigion, Quelsa and remote continued in the Rebel alliance, now transferred to the new X-Wing squadron.
  19. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sim Run

He sat quietly in the cockpit of his simulator as others spoke over the comm one of which was the squadron XO who said "These are all good plans, but each have their own drawbacks. Still, I have to agree with Twelve that the Trench Run idea is quite effective. If each flight heads through the trench on the outside of each Destroyer, then pops out of the trench by the engines, the ion wash should be enough to hide us for that second we're exposed before we reach the first shield dome. We take out that one, then the other. If we go by wingpairs, the first pair takes out the generators while the second holds off any TIEs from the rear. Afterwards, I'm not sure. We could hit the bridges seperately, or regroup, or...I'm not sure. Any way we do this, a lot of us aren't going to get through this run." then the man sighed before continuing with "Twelve, your last idea has merit, but even with all our shields overlapping like that, one hit from a turbolaser and it's all over for more than one of us. Plus, grouping together like that in the open increases our chances of being hit by the Destroyers dramatically. Ralla, what do you think?"

Though he wasn't all that fond of compliments it was good to hear such from his XO and what he did say. It was true though no matter what they were in for a hell of a fight and it was quite good for them not making it through this at all, or at least unscathed. Either way this mission was surely more about seeing how the squadron worked together given the absurd odds they were against. He thumbed his comm once more saying ?Yes sir that is a problem but any of the tactics mentioned so far would be most effective if there were more than just our squadrong, though the idea of using X-Wings to cover another group of X-Wings is dangerous but any turbolaser hit would take out a starfighter. I do believe it is a more likely scenario for these Imperials to concentrate more on using their superior number of fighters to get rid of us using smaller cannon fire to disuade us form getting close. What about using half of what I stated as a distraction sir? If we group a set of X-Wings together and make a false lunge towards the cruiser it might draw more attention given the concentrated group of fighters making a noticeable move against the ImpStar and hopefully away form the more singular fighters flying along the ImpStar's 'trench' to try and boost the odds of success?? before killing the comm and waiting to hear the other pilots responses.

TAG: flights 2 & 3
  20. Jedi_Caesar Force Ghost

star 4
    OOC:If it isn't too late I devised a pretty good strategy,it just might work.

First of all we all go in together.
    We all storm in on the 1st SD,Flight 1 goes above the left side of the left SD and Flight 2 and 3 go under the left side of the same SD.We fly this way and when we all reach the back side of the SD on the same mark we each shoot 2 torpedoes on the engines(engines power everything on the SD,including the Shield Generator and weapons) which should criple the thing dead in space.Then we turn on the other one letting the TIE's follow us.Tie's have great fire control but are pretty useless against fast moving pilots.
    The other SD will then certainly try to escape,so we storm in on him "trench run tactics" (if these things aren't the basic SD models then they are probably equipped with some Point defense systems so look after that too.)trying to disable his Shield Generators and then the "Torpedoes into the bridge" should suffice.
    If we manage to destroy the other one,we loop around it with TIe's still following us and we shoot the torpedoes onto the other SD's bridge too.So this deals with the SDs.
    Now the TIEs are stil behind us.So each flight breaks formation with Flight 1 going down or up,Flight 2 breaks formation into left and Flight 3 goes into right.This way the TIE's will break formation and follow each flight.
    So as they divide.
    Each flight is consisted of at least 2 wings, so as the TIEs follow we rely on one wing covering the other.So if a TIE is on someone's tail the other wing takes care of it.Constant maneuvering and rolling are a must.TIEs have very little chance of hitting a very agile target.So we could use a decoy tactic,as one wing flies maneuvers and lets the TIEs follow them while the other wing flies to the tail of the TIEs and shoouts them one by one.
    Or at last if we are to feel unable to deal with them,we are equipped with hyperdrive engines and they aren't.

So what you say?
  21. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    OOC: I would say it sounds good but is wrong, the engines do not power everything the ships power plant does which is independent of the engines. The engines have to get power from some where before they can move a ship, that power comes from an internal power plant which I believe is a SFS I-a2b Solar Ionization Reactor , besides the mis information about the engines powering anything even if such were true to take out the engines you would still have to get through the shields. It is rather unfeasable to have everything powered from the engines (which must get power from somewhere to run) for one main reason of if the engines aren't working then nothing will get power on the ship including life support, not even the empire woudl design ships that poorly. The other problem with what you say is total capacity of torpedos, we only have a total of 6 each if we are required to use 2 each to take out the engines of both SD's there is 4 out the window with out taking out the shield generator domes (at least one torpedo each) and the bridge (also at least one torpedo each), that is a total of 8 torpedos a craft to take out the ImpStars which we don't have.

You also do not take into account what Prenn has already said about flight one trying to hold off the TIE's, only flights two and three are supposed to try and take out the ImpStars. The other thing that is obviously wrong is with the massive number TIEs against us (72 TIES to be precise). Our fighters can only take on so many TIEs at once, and lets add to it that they would be chasing our squadron the entire time, given the shear number of TIEs I find it highly unlikely that your idea of surviving the TIEs would work given they could basicaly strafe us as we move along while having more come from both behind and in front of our craft. I don't see what you have said being enough to survive a run at the star destroyers given that we are outnumbered in TIEs alone roughly 10 to 1 and if the entire squadron is focused on the ImpStars the TIEs will give chase and not have to deal with even a small number of fighters trying to deter them from harrasing those making a run at the SD. I also did not see you take any account of the albeit few anti-starfighter weapons on the hull of the ImpStars. And as stated before clumping into groups makes us a bigger target and easier to track/hit with larger scale weapons with less precision. You make it sound as if taking out two ImpStars is no hard task and that the TIEs will act in a predictable manner as well as not needing to be dealt with till after the ImpStars are taken care of, a large tactical mistake IMO given the whol purpose of the TIEs is anti-starfighter duties and they greatly outnumber our single squadron,

Any assualt on the ImpStars should involve taking out the shields first then moving down towards the engines and bridge, hugging close to the hull and most importnatly distractions from any group making a run on the ImpStar.
  22. Jedi_Caesar Force Ghost

star 4
    OOC:I meant one thing but wrote it wrong.the engines are powered from somewhere so destroying the engines will send a surge through to the power generator which should destroy the generator.
    So destryoing this will need 30 torpedoes(2 each) and for the trench run there I am not sure how much would it take.

Thanx for the update anyway.

Just to mention,if these SDs have Point Defense Systems,we're doomed either way.

As I said in a joke to spacelady through a PM.As this is a simulation,we all just should ram into the bridge and the engines.[face_laugh]
  23. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    OOC: ACtually even taking out the engines would not cause the kind of reverse power surge you are refering to, you have power buffers for that kind of thing to prevent precisely what you have stated from happening. If destroying any system like the engines would take out the power core/generator then you would have seen ample evidence of such in books and what not. Even though it is a simulation you would want to treat it as if it were the real deal other wise it is pointless to run the simulations if you will do things differently than a real mission.

The big thing to keep in mind is that anything seeming to make sense is almost for sure to have away of protecting it against such as power buffers to prevent the overload of a generator. It makes sense to protect the ship from something that could overload the most vital part of the ship.
  24. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    (ooc: Caesar's got a bit of a point, even if it was just in his PM joke that he mentioned: The bridge is a key component. Drop its shileds via whatever means are convenient -vape every Eyeball, get between 'em, and hope the Impstars're dumb enough to fire at you when there's a 99.9% chance they'll hit each other, perhaps?- and pump as many torps as possible into the bridge to lobotomize the Impstar. Loss of a bridge was the straw that broke Executor's back, after all, as well as a key component in getting rid of Impstars in Rogue Squadron II & III and BF II -well, actually, it's one of the many optional targets in BF II)

IC: RPT-03-H
    Sim Room

"You don't seem to think too well about 'organics'. Do you think that there's nothing that a human can perform better then a droid?"

"Humans?" The droid asked, "Perhaps if you had not limited the topic such," noting that it was perfectly in Seth's character as an organic to do so, "I might have been able to give you an affirmative answer. There are few tasks that organics can perform better than droids. One is Creative thinking. I have on many occasions run simulations regarding evenly matched groups of battle droids of various makes, and found that in situations where even the most sophisticated of droids can find no solution and offten accepts the stalemate as inevitable before the battle is begun, an organic may attempt to create a solution.

"Another, and the reason my simulations could only go so far, is the organic unpredictability. This is rarely a positive trait, but many organics, typically when outmatched in combat, are able to create a benefit from their unpredictability. By choosing an unorthodox solution, the unpredictable organic is often able to enact a solution that their opponents were unprepared for and turn a certain loss into a decisive victory.

"The Third and final characteristic that I have discovered in which organics are superior to droids is in computing errors, or 'mistakes'. Droids very rarely make computing errors, and almost always, their errors can be traced back to an organic programmer. Humans, however, are significantly numerically superior to droids in terms of mistake-making, but, because of the previous two qualities, their mistakes are not always detrimental.

"Those three are the only 'positive'," if the voices of droids could convey emotion, the word 'positive' would have been dripping with sarcasm, "Qualities of organic life, and the occasional usefulness of such qualities is greatly unbalanced by the many situations in which they are detrimental."

Tag: Seth
  25. GraySaberFreque Jedi Master

star 4
    IC: Quelsa Tonacrry

Quelsa steped off his small battered old fighter in to the ship called "home one".

Rebel command had been pretty mad at him after the battle of Ter'Janiii, even though he DID complete his mission......with a little improvisation here and there of course.

heh.... and now he was here, new X-wing squadron, or as some of the other rebel soldiers liked to call it, the suicide squadron.

yup, probally had it all planned out for him to die here.....after ALL that he had done, oh well at least he'd go down fighting right.

His remote floated alongside him and beeped a question.

"I know remote, where is everybody,quelsa said.
    HELLO ANYONE THERE" Quelsa

TAGS: MASTERPENN
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.