main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-WING speed and the size of the DS?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MEGA-YOAV, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MEGA-YOAV

MEGA-YOAV Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2007
    tody's fighter jets can flay at top speeds of about 1000 kp"h
    and thats inside the atmosphire were there is friction
    so logicly in space they'l fly much faster, on the deat star thers no friction
    and yet x wing fighters take a good couple of minutes to cross the death star trench wich is only a small pieace of the total diameter 120 k"m acording to most sources.

witch leads me to belive the death star is much biger then 120 k"m.

so what do you think are X-WINGS as slow as taun tauns or is the death star larg as a moon?
    (our moon is 3,476 k"m)

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    It's called "suspension of disbelief", my friend, the same reason we hear the ships produce sounds in the vacuum of space. If you are looking for scientific explanations for everything in Star Wars, you will be disappointed, as Star Wars is fantasy, and all of the laws of physics, space and time do not apply as we know them in the GFFA.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    witch leads me to belive the death star is much biger then 120 k"m.

More recent sources give it a 160km diameter.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Archaeologists are apparently now saying it was nearer to 200km

5. DarthSticky

DarthSticky Jedi Master star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    On the other hand, regardless of how fast X-Wings are capable of going, when flying along the surface of the Death Star, where the pilots have to dodge around the various protruberances, their speed would be limited to how fast the pilots can react to obstacles.

So regardless, of how advanced the fighter is, their speed is still going to be limited when operating close to the surface.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Their top speed might be higher than 1000 kph, but realistically, there's little reason to fly that fast if they want a reasonable chance of being able to maneuver effectively.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Even if an X-Wing could reach 10% lightspeed they still have to hit a hole 2 meters across. You have to engage the enemy. Yes GL had to have them skimming across the surface for drama. Otherwise their targeting computer may or may not be able to hit a man sized target above a certain speed from a certain angle and so on.

8. MEGA-YOAV

MEGA-YOAV Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2007
    i agree that they may not be going as fast thay can, after all it took them about a miniut to cross the trench yet 2 secends later they are well away from the DS but then way so thay say that they are "going in and going in at full throtle"?

9. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007

Never disrespect Taun-Tauns.

I make my living selling Taun-Taun meat and hides.

10. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Luke wasn't as far along the trench as the first wave was, remember his group was told to orbit and wait for orders while providing cover, when Luke's group when in, it wasn't like they were extremely close to the port to begin with. And the full throttle bit was to try to use the X-Wing's speed to keep the TiE's offa them.

11. lightthunder1

lightthunder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2005
    Yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.