main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar," by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1999]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 6, 2003.

?

“Starfighters of Adumar,” by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1999]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

73.2%
  2. 9

14.3%
  3. 8

3.6%
  4. 7

5.4%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.8%
  6. 5 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

1.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saber_Leader

Saber_Leader Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003

My personal favorite SW book. Allston is one of my favorite writers-he made it funny (Janson and Hobbie) and life-threatening at the same time.

Who Gave it a 1?! An insult!!

2. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    "It focused on only a few characters from the early x-wing novels, which was the one part that I didn't particularily like"
    well, to each his own. i, personally, liked the fact that they only focused on four pilots (and good pilots w/ strong characters @ that...), and i'm sure many others did as well.
    my opinion on this book is pretty much the same as every1 else's... but i do wanna add that i feel that SoA's storyline was very strong. liked the whole obession with duelling & honour, the civil war & cloak n dagger stuff and the fact that they were given new planes...

great book...my all-time favourite.

and who the hell gave it a one?!

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Definitely the more humorous of the EU and a great story altogether, great character interaction.

Only complaint is the space battle at the end seemed a little bit tacked-on, other than that though, i dug it ::)

4. Jeanida_Myrishi

Jeanida_Myrishi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2003
    I loved this book, since it really was humorous and it displayed the characters really well... Everyone, Wes (gotta love that man) Hobbie (ever so pessimistic) Tycho (as proper as ever but with the necessary humour) Wedge (my favorite) and even Iella (right down spat) Just loved the book.

i was reading the book on a trip and people around me were starting to give me these weird looks, might have been because every once in a while I'd start laughing so much I'd start to turn blue... I gave this book ³10 since I believe it to be one of the best books written...

5. ShaolinSniper

ShaolinSniper Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2003

This book rivals some TV and live shows sin humour. When you can get past the humour and to serious parts its a well written plot.

A couple SOA quotes from my collection of SW quotes:
    Quote 19:
    "...ths mrnng," said the cabinet beside him, its words muffled.
    Tomer glanced at it. "What's this?"
    "Wt's ths?" said the cabinet.
    "Cabinet," Wedge said.
    "I know it's a cabinet, but it's talking."
    "Its tlkng," said the cabinet.
    "Oh, that," said Janson. "It's the Cartann Minister of Crawling Into Very Small Spaces."
    Tycho nodded. "He bet Wedge that he could fold himself into that cabinet, around the
    shelves and all."
    Hobbie finally found his voice, though it was gravelly from lost sleep. "Never bet against
    Wedge," he said. "The minister gets to stay in there until he admits that it was a stupid bet
    and Wedge doesn't owe him anything."

Hobbie: You lied to me
    Wedge: I did, with my brilliant achievements in the diplomatic profession has come the
    realization that lies can be powerful motivators
    Hobbie: My faith is shattered
    Wedge: You knew, when I said we needed 4 sets of women's clothing, that we were
    going to end up in them. You knew. So any hopes you had to the contrary were just self
    delusion.
    Hobbie: I understand that. But I rather blame you than me.

6. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    "Only complaint is the space battle at the end seemed a little bit tacked-on"
    yeah, it was.... not in keeping with allston's usual standard of space battle-writing.

the battles on the adumari surface were excellent, though. the 30-4 fight, the duels, the ultimate battle for adumar.... good stuff.

did a great deal to develop wedge's character, too. his honour-wrestling moment, his issues with iella.... the introduction of the blade was a good thing as well, given that the x-wing vs TIE fighter scenario has already been tapped for all its worth.

o found the greatest thing about this book, though, to be the character interaction. u just can't beat the wes-hobbie-tycho-wedge team. well, maybe if u add in plourr and a couple of other pilots from the RS comics...

7. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    I laughed so hard during this book. And theroughly loved it in the process. I went in to it kind of nutally, and came out in love. I love the fact that Alliston finally hooked Wedge and Iella up. I laughed like crazy when the guys had to cross dress inorder to escape. Ahhh, I laughed in general when ever Wes and Hobbie opened their mouthes. All in all, it's a really good read.

8. ShortySC22

ShortySC22 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2002
    I absolutely loved this book. After about 15 times of reading it, I finally went through it and highlighted my favorite lines. Wes, Tycho, Hobbie, and Wedge make for a perfect team! The amount of perfect one-liners are great in this book.
    Janson winced. "Am I going to get any sleep tonight?"
    "Sleep when you usually do. During pilot debriefings. During missions."
    "Oh that's right."

"Don't give him a new kind of weapon," he had told Wedge. "It would be like giving a two year old a lightsaber."

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999

The humor is excellent, and I like how the entire book is told from Wedge's point of view. Also, Allston didn't waste any time putting Qwi Xux out of the picture. :D

10. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    8 out of 10. Entertaining, better than the Wraith Squadron books. I kinda didn't like all the humour. Plus this one felt added on, and that Isard's Revenge should have been the last X-Wing. Anyways, still a nice read.

wolf

11. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Starfighters of Adumar rates about an 8 and a half with me. I prefered the Wraith books, as this one seemed to have a bit too much humour. Time was pretty much wasted on witty repartees between the pilots.

Overall, it's a good and an entertaining read.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'll give this a 6/10. To put it in a few words, it came across as a last gasp of X-wing action.

Allston has a unique way of writing. I hope I'm conveying this right, but it's as though his sentences end too quickly at times, as though they should extend a bit longer. His SW books often have me reading them in a halting sort of way. I don't like it.

No disrespect intended, but I would compare him to Anderson in the sense that his stuff, by and large, is immature. This will directly appeal to younger ages, but for older readers wanting a more mature read, Starfighters of Adumar isn't for you.

The book is just an excuse to squeeze another X-wing story in a series of nine X-wing books long; and this is just another meal with Allston's immature humour.

And such childish reading is rampant here. The very population of the Adumar not only speaks idiosyncratically, their very behaviour and mannerisms portray it. Where others see this as bookwide humour, I see a cover to cover novel of infant behaviour, from the Rogue delegation to the populace itself. The Adumari sound like Mexicans which, while creative to have, violated any and all attempts to take the book seriously.

The plot was intriguing? Who couldn't see Darpen wasn't a traitor?

The only section of the book that ever held my attention was the moment---the moment when Wedge rebuffed the Perator's offer, that changed their status to shunned outcasts. I could taste that moment, the stomach-dropping, face-draining feeling that came with it. That, and the aftermath scramble to freedom, was good reading.

The final battle was a waste of paper---and pages. Nothing exciting happened; nothing unexpected transpired; nothing to maintain reader interest. You knew very well the Imperials weren't going to win. You knew those characters appear in later books, so where was the drama, the credulity?

There is food with nutrition, and there is (fast) food. SOA had nothing serious going for it . . . nothing at all. Just another Rogue adventure on a planet of immature fools.

13. WWE_jedi

WWE_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    this is definatly allston at his best.i laughed so hard that i was draeaming about laughing. it was like i was high.htis is why star wars is so great.these throw in authers who get the job done 10/10

yub yub commander
    dude they like u so much that if u threw up right now they would be doing it all night and be calling it the WEDGE Purge
    ~wes

14. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    my favorite X-wing book, I gave it a 7.

15. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    i've reread it, and I have to change my vote from 8/10 to 4/10.

wolf

16. WWE_jedi

WWE_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    ^ y do u not like it? just because it isn't the typical star wars book like the njo or the thrawn series doesn't mean it is bad. Change HAPPENS.

EVOLUTION

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.