main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter II Java Game Released!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Antilles58, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antilles58

Antilles58 TFNInteractive Games Programmer star 3 VIP

Jun 5, 2000
    I am happy to announce that after several months of work, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter II has been released!!! I have spent a lot of time and put a lot of thought into this, and, with the help of several beta testers, I am happy to say that my finished product is one I am quite proud of. I like to think that it maintains several of the features that made my first java game so much fun to play, as well as implementing some new things that would be expected in a sequel!

The game can be found at the following address temporarily:

http://www.geocities.com/antilles58/xvstie2.html

but it will shortly change to a more permanent location here at TFN. There are several links at that page which you should check out, including instructions on how to play the game.

I hope you enjoy XvsTie2 as much as you have XvsTie1. Feel free to post strategies, feedback, and your high scores in this forum thread!

Thanks!!!!!

2. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2002
    I love you.

This is a HUGE improvement over your first game, and I love it. :D

Commence addiction to new game.

One question though: When the TIEs hit the bottom level is it possible to destroy them without ramming them?

Edit: Make sure you post this at the Star Wars Message Boards. (If you don't, I will) ;)

3. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Cool! I gotta check it out! ( :p )

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    VERY nice. A fair bit harder than the last one also, it seems. Or maybe I'm just rusty. ;)

5. jonng

jonng Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    This is a great game! :)
    I found it much harder than XvsTie1. (I usually die at the start of level 4)

6. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Good to see some initial positive feedback on this one :) The beta testers felt the same way. And yes, this one is significantly harder than the other one. My thinking with that one was "can I even do this?" and my thinking with this one was "ok, I know I can, now how good can I make it?" And yes, you can destroy ships that get to the bottom in one of two ways. You can either hope to have triple missiles, which will shoot out at somewhat of a sideways angle and possibly hit enemy ships, or you just launch a bomb and detonate it right away with the 'A' key. The latter is better, but you always have to judge whether it is worth using a bomb to kill the enemies. And I don't have an account at the starwars.com forums, but if you wanted to you can post about it there.

7. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    This is brilliant. I find it is quite jumpy though which is really annoying.

8. SolidOne

SolidOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2003
    This game is awesome. What is everyone's highest score so far? I was a beta tester, and got over 800 thousand...but I'm not sure if that is after any changes were made....so I'll just have to get a new high score. Also, I somehow got one of the "secrets" once, but can't figure out how I did, and Antillies won't say. So, if anyone else gets one of the secrets, be sure to tell.

9. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Very cool game, Antilles58. :D

10. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    The old link won't work any more, since now its up at theforce.net. The new address is:

http://www.theforce.net/games/xvstie2.shtml

and sorry about the jumpiness, i've noticed it sometimes too, but you just have to hope it goes away. It happens sometimes in both games.

11. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    oook... aside from the fact that i dont have a button to press to go into the game, all it shows is the word 'image' inside a box, and it wont let me click on it.... but other than that, cool game.,.. i guess.
    I liked the first one tho

12. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    oook... aside from the fact that i dont have a button to press to go into the game, all it shows is the word 'image' inside a box, and it wont let me click on it.... but other than that, cool game.,.. i guess.
    I liked the first one tho

13. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm not sure if I like the original better...thanks for sharing, though :)

14. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Can you go over the icons/controls? I see proton torps, shields, lives, and seismic changes, but what is the green triangle and blue circle?

Nevermind- I found the instructions. Kudos on two excellent games!

15. MBA

MBA Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2000
    The screen and images are quite dark, making it hard to see them. Any chance of brightening it up a bit? Otherwise, love it!

16. Xaelin

Xaelin Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2003
    Nice job on both games!

I made it to level 8 with 312,700 points and maxxed stats in, believe it or not, the Y-wing. :) ...Were the Episode I ships in level 7 supposed to be secret? :D

17. Darth_Doug

Darth_Doug Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    Great game! My fingers hurt from hitting the space bar.

Like MBA I would request a slightly lighter screen if possible: I'm color blind and boy are those asteroids hard to see (and some of the ships).

Otherwise, lots of fun (and tougher than the first, I agree).

18. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    The more I play this, the more I like it :)

Favourite ships, anyone?

I feel I might betray the X-Wing and go with the Y-Wing :(

19. SolidOne

SolidOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2003
    On the topic of which ship, I exclusively use the Y Wing. I just can't stand now having the power and shields, and you get Speed permanents fast enough anyway. Xaelin, what do you mean the Episode 1 ships on level 7? Do you just mean the droid starfighters, or, shall I say...something else?

20. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    I'm sure he's referring to the droid fighters and federation battleships, I doubt that anyone else has stumbled upon the secret ship yet, for I am sure they would instantly post loudly and more loudly here ;) And no, the Episode I ships weren't supposed to be secret, they were just there to present a nice change from the standard TIE fighters and the like, otherwise it would've been another level of TIE advanceds and bombers and dreadnaughts. I originally thought about making it a game where before each level there would be a briefing, giving it somewhat of a plot, and that would have been like "a sect of the trade federation has rearmed" or something along those lines, but I scrapped the idea early on because it wasn't plausible and would've been tedious and dumb.

and oh yeah, on the topic of ships. I don't like the Y-Wing at all. its too slow. I hate slow. I go with the X-wing usually, though sometimes the A-wing. there are a lot of different options, and in the end it will be whichever ship is best for getting a high score.

and another oh yeah, I can't make the screen lighter. just turn up the lighting on your actual monitor.

21. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    45,100 on my first try.

This game is hard! [face_shocked]

(I only got to Level 3)

22. UberJediMaster

UberJediMaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2002
    I liked the idea of buying things...i miss that. Ship selection was an awesome idea, though where is me4 B-Wing!?!

23. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Well, I thought the B-Wing would look kinda funny from a top view. But then again there are hidden ships, aren't there SolidOne?

dammit, i just tried playing. I suck at my own stupid game. I should go back to XvsTie1, i'm good at that one.

24. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I don't betray no ship I always play as the Y-wing! and not because its the best ship in the game! ;)

25. Jeffbee13

Jeffbee13 Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    This game is too hard, the furthest I've gotten is the end of the 5th level. You should think of giving a little more power-ups. At least for the first one we could keep the upgrade once we got it. But other that that this game is awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.