main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter II Java Game Released!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Antilles58, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antilles58

Antilles58 TFNInteractive Games Programmer star 3 VIP

Jun 5, 2000
    I didn't realize the x-wing and a-wing were so tough. Maybe the y-wing isn't tremendously superior though, since most of those high scores come with the aid of hidden ships, which are super powered.

2. KeithDagen

KeithDagen Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2003
    I've hit the trench run three times now with the X-Wing. Some observations vs the Y-Wing are:

I tend to score higher on the first three or four levels with the X-Wing. This is where the speed comes into play. You can grab a lot more falling points and shoot a lot more of the easy asteroids.

By level four through six, you start getting ships where you NEED better Power at the least, and better Armor preferred. Although the Y-Wing starts a lot slower, you're already one up on the X-Wing on both of the critical power-ups. Unless you got lucky in the early levels with ship upgrades, it's harder to be aggressively grabbing points on these levels, and you tend to use a lot of bombs and missiles.

By the time you get to level seven or eight, and you max the upgrades, there is no advantage to any of the regular ships. Through the Death Star, any of the ships seem to work OK, although you get your shields a little more torn up on level nine because you get the six Star Destroyers on screen with the twelve TIE Defenders and usually three asteroids. That's a lot of missiles and triple missiles to dodge.

Trench run is near impossible to get a decent score with the regular ships because you lose half your power vs the Naboo Fighter by only having one laser. A Naboo fighter with a Double power-up tears up the turrets pretty quickly. IF you're lucky enough to get that for an X-Wing, you're still only as good as a standard Naboo fighter. And we won't even mention the advantage that an additional 10 shield points gives you.

Final observation -- always seems like Armor falls less often than other ship upgrades. Last time I played with the Y-Wing trying to (unsuccessfully) discover the Falcon, the first Armor upgrade I got was getting the Naboo fighter. When I got the fighter, I had 8 Power, 12 Speed, and 2 Armor.

3. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Thats why this is a good challenge ;) I hope someone is gutsy enough to try it without the A-Wing! No armor to start that sucker! And armor drops at the same rate as power and speed. I just checked the percentages and its the same. Which one drops is random. Certain ships have a higher chance to drop a perm powerup though, so try to kill upper tier ships and not let them get off the screen (you should be doing this anyway, since you're going for score)

Keep trying for it, since Jedi Wars is a worthy prize.

4. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Hey I got the Naboo fighter!!! YAY for me. Now, can someone tell me on what level the falcon is on at least? For that much I do not know.

5. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    It's on level 9 =)

Argh!!!!

I'm there, I had nothing but 2 shields, and I still didn't get the falcon. The screen was literally filled with Star Destroyers and I could go no where.... if you don't call that great danger, I don't know what you call it.

6. SolidOne

SolidOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2003
    Whew, I've been trying Antillies' challenge a lot. It is a seriously different game with the X wing. Especially the trench run and cow level...since I can normally take all that fire other than torps. The X wing is so much harder. Anyway, I played it again (for like the 10th time), and I got an awesome game. I lucked out with a tremendous amount of super bombs, bombs, and torps. However, I did nearly destroy my wrist firing. I'm sending Antillies a screenshot now. I'll let you know how Jedi Wars is. BTW all, there is still the A wing (and its 0 armor :)).

7. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Shewski, you're on the right track, but you have to be weak during the right time interval (just like with the naboo fighter).

And SolidOne's did beat 1million with the x-wing. So that means give up on that one folks, its done. Now try the a-wing!

8. theSmartEwok

theSmartEwok Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2003
    So... how do you take a screen shot? I can't copy and paste. Is this the Mac thing again?

9. SolidOne

Mar 30, 2003
    Well, on windows computers, it is Alt + Print Screen. This is then pasted into an imaging program. If you can't do this on a mac.....well, then we'll have to decide if we trust you. :)

10. jonng

jonng Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    The A-Wing is longer than the X and Y-wings. I always end up smashing into things. :(

11. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    I don't even think you need to press alt. You should just be able to press the print screen and copy it, but if that doesn't work on a mac you'll have to do it some other way. I'm sure you can find a web site that tells you how to take a screen on a mac somewhere.

12. SolidOne

Mar 30, 2003
    Correct Antillies. Just to clarify what each does:

Alt + PrtScr = takes picture of the currently selected window and puts it on the clipboard
    just PrtSrc = takes picture of entire screen and puts it on the clipboard.

If this doesn't work, go into the mac help, and search for screenshot.

13. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Time interval!

Drats, I forgot that! Is the time interval tied to the movie in any way, or is it closer to the Naboo fighter in that it is a specific wave?

14. SolidOne

Mar 30, 2003
    It is just the time interval...You'll have to figure that out yourself.

15. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    how comes the A-Wing?

16. theSmartEwok

Jul 29, 2003
    When is Jedi Wars going to be released? I don't think I have a chance at getting 1000000 with the A-wing, but I still try.

17. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Soon enough ;)

18. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Is the time interval set on level 9 or is it random? (yes, I'm digging for clues.... feel free to ignore me) =)

19. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
  20. MidKnight_Mailler

MidKnight_Mailler Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2003
    Both games don't seem to be working currently. (btw, the highest score I've been able to get so far has been just over 500k using the Y-wing, and I've never been able to find the N-1...) if anyone can give me pointers, email at shrimpwd@hotmail.com TY

21. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    I think I know why the games are down. Wait a few days and they should be up and happy.

22. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    But I dont wanna wait for a few days. I want it nowwwww!!! And when is Jedi Wars comin out? Is it made yet even?

23. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Is it made... ha! Is it ever made ;)

24. theSmartEwok

Jul 29, 2003
    What do we have to do to get you to release Jedi Wars?! We NEED it!

25. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    No, wait for it. I still need more time to find the proper interval for the falcon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.