"X-Wing: Wraith Squadron," by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1998]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 6, 2003.

?

“Wraith Squadron,” by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1998]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 47 vote(s) 60.3%
9 17 vote(s) 21.8%
8 5 vote(s) 6.4%
7 4 vote(s) 5.1%
6 (Average) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
5 (Average) 1 vote(s) 1.3%
4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 0 vote(s) 0.0%
2 1 vote(s) 1.3%
1 (Poor) 3 vote(s) 3.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  2. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/xw_ws.jpg]

Summary:
    They are the galaxy's most elite fighting force. And as the battle against the Empire rages, the X-wing fighters risk life and machine to protect the Rebel Alliance. Now they must go on a daring undercover mission--as the crew of an Imperial warship.

It is Wedge Antilles' boldest creation: a covert-action unit of X-wing fighters, its pilots drawn from the dregs of other units, castoffs and rejects given one last chance. But before the new pilots can complete their training, the squadron's base is attacked by former Imperial admiral Trigit, and Wraith Squadron is forced to swing into action--taking over an Imperial warship and impersonating its crew. The mission: to gain vital intelligence about Trigit's secret weapons, to sabotage the admiral's plans, and to lure him into an Alliance trap. But the high-stakes gamble pits Wraith Squadron's ragtag renegades against the Empire's most brilliant master of guile and deception.

Are they up to the challenge?

If not, the penalty is instant death.

3. dark_jedi666 Force Ghost

star 4
    Looks like I am going to have the first review for Wraith Squadron.

I personally enjoyed this book very much. Being an avid Star Wars EU fan, I have read every adult novel, up until Force Heretic I. Wraith Squadron, is part of my favorite series as a whole, the X-Wing Series.

Wraith Squadron, is my favorite book of the series. It focuses on Wedge Antilles, and his plan to start an X-Winh squadron, that also has other talents. He wants a commando squad that can also fly starfighters. Another interesting twist is that he is taking rejects from other squadrons.

Aaron Allston is the author of this book, and I think his style worked very well, for his part of the series. His mix of humor, with his ability to write starfighter scenes works well.

Overall, I loved this book, as it gave me an insight into new characters, such as Face Loran, Ton Phanon and Kell Tainer. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Star Wars. Even though you dont see any of Luke, Leia or Han, you get other characters in which you will enjoy, and want to follow their story.

4. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    This took Rogue Squadron, and blasted it into next week :)

I love this little beauty. We get a more "real" pilot book, IMO. I've always felt pilots would be jokey people, their lives always on the line. And for me, Allston nailed it. I felt myself CARING for each and every character that was written.

A solid 9
  5. SirLancelot Jedi Master

star 4
    all i have to say really is that Allston put togather a great book that you can just sit and enjoy. thats all that needs to be said, its purly enjoyable.
  6. Jedi_Horn Jedi Master

star 2
    Ok, i put 10. What more could you look for in a Star Wars book? it has everything that makes a great book great, action, humor, and very well written characters. when i read this book i went out and bought the next (iron fist). all in all IMO its one of the best SW book written.
  7. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    10. I was disappointed when I saw someone else writing the new X-Wing books, but I got over that fast. I loved the Wraiths, especially Ton and Face-ESPECIALLY Face. I love how Face made his astromech to be a built in beer cooler, and the story of the personal cloaking device. Also, I love Piggy's character-Piggy rocks.

And the beginning of one of the most beloved jokes of all time-"Yub Yub, Commander!"
  8. lightsaber_wielder Jedi Master

star 4
    What a great book! The X-wing series has gotten increasingly better up to this point, and Wraith Squadron proves to be following the tradition. The characters are really cool, and the fact that they're all washouts of some sort gives leeway for Aaron Allston to give them interesting and occassionally humourus backgrounds. Kell was my favourite, although his personal conflict got a bit aggravating at times, and it was good to see him get over it. Tyria is another favourite, and the fact that she is Force-sensitive puts her up there on my list. Face is great, and really funny, along with Ton Phanan. Awesome comedy duo! Runt's multi-personality was annoying, because I think there's been too many of these (i.e. Ooryl, Arconans, etc). The deaths of Jesmin, Grinder and Falynn were sad. All the Wraiths are really cool, and much better than the Rogues on a whole. The storyline was well done, not too unoriginal or anything like that, with some good twists and turns. The final space battle was well-done, with intercutting and not too much lingering on one pilot specifically. All-in-all, a great Star Wars book and the best so far in the X-wing Series! I rate it 9 out of 10.
  9. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    The X-Wing Books are the best there is. Wraith Squadron is exemplary.
  10. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    And Face's big gross out line:
    "It's as unpleasant as a Hutt's butt in here!"

11. Kyp_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    Counting sixteen votes, average of 9.31.
  12. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm going with the general consensous. Wraith Squadron was a truly great novel. It provided memorable characters, a good plot, and lots of laughs.
  13. JADES_FIRE Jedi Master

star 4

10 - The book that introduced us to the Wraiths :cool: Need I say more? :p
  14. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    I gave it a ten. ;)

It did something I think not enough novels (not just SW, but anything) do, and that's give a wonderful mix of humor, action, adventure, and drama. That mix is the hardest thing to create, I think, but I've always loved it.

I also felt that Allston did a wonderful job with creating real and believable characters - especially Face. ;) I adore Face. He has a very unique background. The bringing together of the characters was also done well; he didn't make it easy on them, but he showed how when put into a difficult situation people do come together. The deaths of the characters were, quite frankly, the best deaths I've seen in the EU so far. They were very touching :( .

I just loved the whole thing. I still reread it. ;)
  15. Lank_Pavail Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    To paraphrase Allston's Wedge:
    "These aren't the shining lightsabers of the New Republic. They are the vibroknives for the back-alley fights that were so very desperately needed."
    I loved the X-wing series because it proved you could do a great SW book without the "Big 3". The RS series was terrific as well, but it was a treat to see the truly other side of the Rebellion, the more 'real' people, still fantasic, but possibly even more compelling because they didn't have the lucky breaks as some had, makes this a truly standout work in the entire EU, IMHO. :cool:
  16. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8

Continues in the tradition that Stackpole started in the first four books. Excellent humor and great plot.
  17. WarmasterDan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    7. It was okay, but I did not find it as funny as other people think it is, and I was not interested in the book as I am with other ones.
  18. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    I gave this a 10, it was pure Star Wars, action with humor and a little death. The only thing I didn't like was how sudden Faylen and Grinder were taken out. I felt like I was just getting to know them and then they're gone.
  19. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Freaking amazing. Better than Stackpole's books, mostly because Allston took the time to flesh out the characters of all members of the squadron(and even support crew who aren't actually a part of the squadron, like Cubber).

I think the deaths were generally well done. They never seemed arbitrary, especially since the characters were fleshed out enough to care about. Falynn was one of my favourites, and I was sad when she died, but I think her death was done very well, one of the best in any Star Wars story, in my opinion, particularly concerning Myn's reaction. "One for Falynn, two for Talon" is one of my favourite lines, ever.

Grinder's death sort of came out of nowhere though. I don't think he needed to die, but it didn't seem arbitrary.
  20. DarthJDDavis Jedi Padawan

10 of 10

Simply a wonderful book. Allston does two things that I think a lot of other Star Wars authors fail to do.

1. He develops the characters to a point where you care about them and actually feel bad if something bad happens to them.

2. Brings a lot of humor to his stories. Come on, "Yub, Yub, Commander" is one of the funniest lines in any SW novel.
  21. ShaolinSniper Jedi Padawan

This is a very good book like hte others mentioned especially new character developement. And of course theres the necessary humour. For most writers, its seems hard to get those space battles scenes interesting hence many skip over them...but these are done great.

Since when is Ooryl multipersonality? His culture just speaks in the third person and how the refer to themselves is how they feel.

Quote, at least i thinks its from WS butsits been a while:
    Wes Janson: "Next is Voort saBinring, a Gamorrean."

Wedge Antilles: "Very funny. You had me going the first time, Wes, but that joke won't
    work twice."

Janson: "He's a Gamorrean."

Antilles: "It's impossible to train Gamorrean males to something as complicated as fighter
    piloting. They have glandular imbalances that make them very violent and impatient."

Janson: "He's a Gamorrean."

Antilles: "Just keep up your little joke, then, and show him in."

Janson spoke into his comlink. A moment later a Gamorrean - 1.9 meters of glowering
    porcine presence, dressed in the standard New Republic pilot's uniform, the bright orange
    of the jumpsuit clashing nauseatingly with the creature's green skin - walked in and
    saluted.

Janson smiled ingratiatingly at Wedge. "Yub, yub, Commander."
  22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
  23. Chiss_Imperial Jedi Knight

star 1
    I can't say much more about, Excellent book and i agree with what the others say. :)
  24. Saber_Leader Force Ghost

star 4
    Introduced the Wraiths, had Janson pranks, starfighter combat, and ground commando operations. What's not to like?

25. archangel138 Jedi Padawan

Gandalf the Grey:

question have you read the x wing series yet they look really cool.
    Hey do you want to talk through email
    email me at everynewdayus@yahoo.com
    or PM me . can i pm you .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.