main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Incom T-70: X-Wings in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dak Oolron, Jun 4, 2014.

?

How visible should the X-Wing be in the ST? (Multiple votes are allowed.)

1. I want the X-Wing to appear in the ST just as it was in the OT

61 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. I want to see a spiritual successor to the OT X-Wing

190 vote(s)
    75.7%
  3. I want to see completely new starfighter(s)

81 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    All I said was the artists working on all those projects seems to be doing a very good job with all those fun fighters design without making it a near carbon-copy of the X-Wing.

And I like the CGI ships. I think they look cool once you remove your nostalgia glasses.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    here you go. ha ha!

[​IMG]

3. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    I couldn't care less what the ships look like so long as the story and characters are engaging.
    Best not to get too hung up on these things.

Also this is just one ship out of god knows how many that will be on screen, I'm sure there will be plenty of completely original designs as well as the ones like this that link the trilogies

Personally I like the design, it looks sleeker and I'm interested to see how the wings part away.

4. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I couldn't figure it out until I saw this.

Thank you. ;)

I looks well used - so clearly the pilot has been in some scrapes.

I hear and see this the kind of remark a lot - and I mean A LOT.

The designs - i.e., what things look like - (and the action) are just as important in Star Wars as the story and characters.

BTW, I'm 100% not agreeing with the comment you were responding to - the very nature of Star Wars' design means using old as well as new creations - and the majority will be new.

The reasons Abrams is using an X-Wing type fighter in the video is to tease us with something familiar and draw attention to the UNICEF promotion.

Of course, he could use a new ship, but those are for the movie - why display it now and have us pay to see it again later.

5. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Anyone else notice JJ's Xwing is as 'dirty' as those from ANH ? Kinda proves the past 30 years haven't been exactly rosy...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I think the new X wing looks great. I don't feel like it's the best thing I've seen in my life as some of you guys make it sound :p, and it does feel a bit like fan service since it's the biggest official scoop (visually at least), but I'm cool with that, I embrace it actually. It''s not like Spock in STID, it's just a reference.

But what I really think it's brilliant is that they are following Mcquarrie's original and shelved content. I mean, that guy almost singlehandedly created the Star Wars look and his vision is still pouring through the new movie almost 4 decades after. It feels like a great decision to make. I'm happy.

Dak Oolron, EviL_eLF, Ryus and 2 others like this.
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    the only good thing about palpatine was that he was a clean freak

dyous87 and TK327 like this.
  8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    First, funny or no, at least you had an answer.

Second, if we can invoke the old EU for a brief moment, that's one of the better designs I've ever seen for what they called an "Ugly" (for those of you who don't know, that refers to a fully functional fightercraft put together from parts of other fighters, often ones that weren't meant to go together).

Third, I very much like the paint job. It's a little overdoing it when we talk about a "used universe" (where was this thing parked anyway, in the mud?), but it works.

9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Looks like they copied the split-wing idea from the Dropship in Aliens.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    I don't think they are personally but each to their own. To expand on what I said, the success or failure of this film will not rest on the design of the "new" x-wing, or any other vehical for that matter. Don't get me wrong I appreciate good design and with the people involved like Doug Chiang etc I don't see any reason to believe that the set and vehical designs will be anything other than top drawer, much like the previous six films and like what I've seen so far for EP7.

The designs in the prequels were all, for the most part fantastic, but it didn't make my opinion of the movies anything more than one of disappointment. The designs become inconsequential if the basics of story, character, script aren't executed well and conversely if they are executed well the audience will lap up anything they give them, prime example...... Yoda

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  11. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    The use of small fighters was always the coolest thing about SW and what differentated it from Star Trek. I liked the interaction between the pilots a lot and cared for them way more than for any red shirt that died from fallen debris on the Enterprise. I think the small dogfights were the one of the main reasons Lucas created SW and it is for me THE essence of SW and IMO more important than any Lightsaber battle. Big capital ships firing torpedoes at each other isn't the same as rollercoaster high speed maneuvers with fighters...

Sarge, StrikerKOJ, vinsanity and 9 others like this.
  12. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    All wings report in!

Dak Oolron likes this.
  13. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think it looks great, but only if those babies split all the way down the middle like the McQuarrie design. I'm hoping JediKnightWax nailed it.

The seam in the engine is also giving me hope:

[​IMG]

14. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, without a good story and great characters, all the fantastic designs, VFX and action sequences in the world won't save the movie.

However, the reverse can also be true.

It was the combination which put Star Wars were it is today.

Yes, but it looks a lot worse for wear than the ships in IV

I've never heard anyone express that opinion before:eek:

Anyway, a story, especially a fantasy adventure like this, isn't about people hanging about in a room together talking.

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  15. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    One of the things the PT lacked was large star fighter battles (the Battle of Coruscant was cool though)

SgtTimBob and darklordoftech like this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded. I don't think I've heard that one before.
    You have heard of radio communications correct? Luke, Biggs, Wedge, Red Leader, Gold Leader, Porkins and some of the other pilots were communicating back and forth.............................................

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, I don't see how it is any different to the TIE Fighter battle in the Falcon just before it - the characters are on the same ship but in seperate areas and just shouting at each other over the comm - trash talking I believe the kids nowadays call it :p

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The communications back and forth in ANH are some of the best parts of the movie imo.

19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, it is great banter - I wasn't putting it down but I thought that is want that kind of chatter is called now days, am I wrong?

What I meant the scene is similar to the Death Star battle, so I don't see the point Echo Base was making.

20. manybothans

manybothans Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    Darth_Zidious likes this.
  21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I like to think that, in universe, there was some sort of retro nostalgia movement going on and so elements of the Z95 were blended in with newer X wing models.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. cavery

cavery Jedi Master

May 20, 2005
    Based on what I see in the recently posted video, I agree that it looks like the intake splits in half and the wing splits front and back. I apologize for the crude nature of the renders, but I quickly created a mock-up of how I believe it might work.

Please feel free to comment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Definitely helps reassure me about it looking silly with the wings open.
    You seem to have gotten it very accurate to what we've seen, from a short clip in a short time. Most impressive.
    Many thanks!

24. dyous87

dyous87 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2006
    I think you nailed it! Nice work!

25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    With this design they've finally fixed a major flaw that X-Wings, B-Wings and ARC-170's all had. When these ships were in landing configuration it was impossible for mechanics to work on parts of the wing because the surface was obstructed by the neighbouring wing or wings.

The pilot design especially the helmet looks like a style introduced for ROTJ, but was it for A-Wing pilots?