main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Incom T-70: X-Wings in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dak Oolron, Jun 4, 2014.

?

How visible should the X-Wing be in the ST? (Multiple votes are allowed.)

1. I want the X-Wing to appear in the ST just as it was in the OT

61 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. I want to see a spiritual successor to the OT X-Wing

190 vote(s)
    75.7%
  3. I want to see completely new starfighter(s)

81 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    That's really cool. When I discovered that the wings looked to fold that way, I was curious as to what they would look like in an open position and whether they'd look disjointed. The way your mock up shows them is encouraging, because they actually maintain something similar to a classic X-Wing profile, while looking a little bit sleeker and almost sexier, even.

Good work.

Satipo, dyous87 and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A-Wing pilots from ROTJ:

Sila Kott
    [​IMG]
    Arvel Crynyd
    [​IMG]
    Jake Farrell
    [​IMG]

3. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    It looks like a combo of a modern helmet similar to a HGU-5, with the cheek guards of the A-Wing helmet and maybe a shallow mohawk in the back.

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Look at the ear piece on this B-Wing pilot's helmet, i'm not sure but i think they're incorporated in the new design too.

Satipo likes this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    BTW, I haven't seen any mention of the pilot - you guys all know who it was right?

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Who do you think? I wondered if it might be JB but I couldn't find any picks to check.

7. manybothans

manybothans Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 25, 2013
  8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I can't see from that. Great pic though.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree with you. I have no idea what EB is talking about.

10. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm probably reading too much into this, but what I find interesting is that it doesn't appear to have a lot of scorch mark damage (something we saw a lot -- albeit subtly -- in the OT) but what looks to be a lot of corrosive/sun damage, especially to the paint (something we saw less of in the OT; yes i checked screencaps, although individual assessments/opinions may vary). It looks like most of it's surface damage isn't from battle but from sitting neglected in someone's backyard for a decade or so.

11. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I was wondering about the same thing. It looks more neglected than battle-damaged.

Hogsquattle and Dak Oolron like this.
  12. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Like the X-wing just fine. Kind of strange that the old orange suits are back though. I love them from the OT, but seems to be pushing the classic look maybe a little too much. But eh, it would grow on me after seeing it a bit. Just a minor quirk.

13. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I disagree. Most starfighters had at least this much paint wear in the OT, and some had scorch marks (or worse) to boot.

Good point about not having much/any actual battle damage (scorch marks, holes). IMO the majority of the wear is in the area under the cockpit, signifying someone has climbed in and out MANY times over the years. So I don't think the wear is from neglect. Most of the other areas could be easily chalked up to normal abrasion/grime in a dirty environment and not having spare time to clean.

Of course from an engineering side, we know that keeping metals clean is not simply for aesthetics, as keeping grime off actually reduces corrosion/pitting. But I doubt J.J. is trying to imply that our heroes are incompetent when it comes to keeping their ships in working order. ;)

KissMeImARebel likes this.
  14. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Well spotted.;)

15. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Since we have Blue X-Wings now, i guess it means we can still have red ones, or green ones, or black ones? Oh my......overload!!

-C

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Corran had a green X-Wing. Bring them on.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    the pilot's helmet reminds me of the Clone pilot Helmets from Episode 3. just without the bottom piece.

BigAl6ft6 and dyous87 like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe it's a "Rebels" era X-Wing, which is why it looks so beat up. the ANH X-Wings are slightly more updated.

SithSense and Abadacus like this.
  19. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I could see that being a retcon. This is the hot-rodded prototype that the Incom engineers defected with. The standard T-65 is the production model built secretly on rebel-sympathizing worlds.
    Somehow, Daisy ends up with the last surviving prototype and it becomes her signature ship.

dyous87, Force Smuggler and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    after watching the video again, here are my non-kneejerk thoughts.
    firstly - i like the fact that this starfighter is at least based on some form of creativity extrapolated from ralph mcquarrie's original design. this is unlike the starfighters from the prequel trilogy which were needlessly complex and seemingly designed to be toys first and actual starships second. let's face brass tacks here; the arc-170 fighters from revenge of the sith were pretty damn stupid.

secondly - i m not a huge fan of the front-back design of this x-wing. in fact, i kind of hate it. the x-wing is a classic spacecraft and to up and change the wing design like that is kind of a kick in the 'nads.

thirdly - this is just ONE ship. im holding out hope that there are a mix of other fighters including one that bears more resemblance to the classic x-wing. It looks pretty old beat-up...actually in worse shape than the yavin iv x-wings, so there are likely to be some newer, better models.
    who knows, perhaps this guy is the "1980s mustang" of incom's x-wing family.

1972 - sexy classic
    [​IMG]

1982 - seriously?
    [​IMG]

2012 - aw hell yeah.
    [​IMG]

so who knows. maybe it was a teenage birthday present to luke's son and said son has a han solo/falcon type relationship with it. it's falling apart and garbage, but it gets the job done in a pinch.

21. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Im surprised at how many people are nostalgia tripping over the ANH xwing. I thought for sure everyone would be happy about this.

I also think this will be Daisy's ship. and John will have to get shoved in the luggage compartment.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    amazing! what does a straight on side view look like? that's what i want to see.

23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    It's been a couple of years since I've watched the OT and I do remember the wear and tear, but it seemed to stand out more in this video.

I'll concede to your point, as my memory is probably at fault ;)

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    No worries. And it does seem like there were some Rebel ships that were in better shape than this ST X-Wing (like the X-wings at the Battle of Yavin, as SithSense said). I guess if you take the average condition of all Rebel starfighters in the OT trilogy, it might be comparable to this?

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Wow! just saw the X-Wing video. :D It looks a lot better in finished form; paint job and all. Though I don't like the wings are not stacked like the originals. Having only two full sized wings that split in half is weird; if it even splits at all.

Iron_lord likes this.