main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Incom T-70: X-Wings in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dak Oolron, Jun 4, 2014.

?

How visible should the X-Wing be in the ST? (Multiple votes are allowed.)

1. I want the X-Wing to appear in the ST just as it was in the OT

61 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. I want to see a spiritual successor to the OT X-Wing

190 vote(s)
    75.7%
  3. I want to see completely new starfighter(s)

81 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Abounder

Abounder Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 17, 2014

Looks great and reminds me of the 70s, it's the 'black gold' of the Incom X-wings:

TheBBP likes this.
  2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Nice - I'm hearing a "boom chicka wow wow" theme when I picture that ship in flight :) wonder if it is Lando's? ;)

3. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I sure hope X-wings in the ST have a socket with a built-in astromech loading system underneath, like the N-1 was shown to have in TPM. That would allow them to be loaded without a crew/crane, which limits your options. Artoo got lucky that it was a soft landing dropping off the X-wing on Dagobah (until he got eaten/spit out), and two Force users to be able to lift him when it was time to leave... most other pilots would've had to leave the astromech with the ship.[face_thinking]

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Perhaps most R2 units have rockets now, and they don't need crew or cranes to load them into the fighters.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Good point, but that always seemed like a goofy idea to me. I've always hoped that somehow Artoo's flying in the PT would be officially stated as being possible due to him being a one-off with special features equipped. (Wookieepedia lists jet thrusters as one of many aftermarket options, rather than a standard feature.) It just doesn't seem practical to add a propulsion system to a machine already so packed full of needed equipment. Where is the fuel stored?

Seems like it would be a LOT easier to simply built a simple mechanical system into the bottom of an X-wing. For instance, make it spring-loaded so that when the astromech dismounts through the bottom, it cocks a spring that lifts it back up when it's time to go back in. That would minimize energy use (the opposite of having little rockets on the droid).

6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The heat from the rockets would damage the X-wing.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Possibly, unless they cut them off after they are in a good position to drop in. Having a hatch on the bottom of the ship would make sense Dak, but I see it as a structural weakness, and if this xwing is like the earlier model, the small cargo compartment is in that area.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  8. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    No need for it to be a structural weakness, if the opening is surrounded by internal space frame and covered by retractable armor when it closes. Considering it's only open when landed, the armor could even fold out externally- you wouldn't need to consider aerodynamics (not that Star Wars usually does).

9. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    The problem is getting out. Launching rockets in a small enclosed space would seriously damage things.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Good point. The hull/exterior would probably be unaffected, but the astromech IS in close contact with a lot of electrical and mechanical systems in that socket.

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    As shown in previous films, R2 units can wiggle out of the socket. What they do afterwards wouldn't cause much damage.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    I also had a mental image of an astromech being ejected similar to the en bloc clip in an empty Garand ("ping!"). After ejection, the astromech could switch on the thrusters. Sure would make for a bad day if the thrusters, failed, though...

13. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    They still can't get off the X-wing.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    R2 ejected from the Eta-2, but they were much lower to the ground than an X wing is. Non functioning thrusters would cause a problem from that height. I guess time will tell how astromechs enter and exit the fighters.

They can. Whether or not they can take the damage is a different story if they lack thrusters.:p

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Ah, so I guess that's where my thought came from! Thanks for refreshing my memory. :)

Thrusters are at least as important for controlling attitude as softening the landing, since not landing sqaure/perpendicular with the ground would be no bueno.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    My headcanon:
    Astromech sockets have "lifts" which can raise the droid out of the socket for easier access or eject it alongside the pilot if needed; but it's still a pain getting one down from a fighter if you end up away from your ground crew.
    Most pilots would simply leave the droid in the fighter if they weren't in a full-service hangar. After all, astromechs make a good basic security system to watch the ship, and most aren't quite companions on adventures the way R2 is.
    Astromechs all have small propulsion jets for zero-g maneuvering and repairs - accompanying spacecraft is their main purpose. They can tether themselves to an ejected pilot and give them at least a weak tug in the right direction; but R2 flying around in the prequels was painful, and that would be a rare mod that hopefully doesn't come up much.
    Some ships (maybe including the new X-Wing) would have loading devices to make it more convenient for a single pilot to load or unload an astromech, but it's usually seen as an unnecessary luxury feature for pseudo-military sporting craft that would be launched solo from private hangars.

17. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Good points, Abadacus. Jets on astromechs do make sense in space; less so within the context of planetary gravity, which was all we got to see in the movies (in RotS, Artoo maneuvered within the Invisible Hand's artificial gravity).

I still like the system I proposed ;)

18. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    since Anakin likes tinkering with things, maybe let's assume he installed the jets on R2 himself.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  19. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    The Wookieepedia article seemed to imply that, though it doesn't explicitly state it. (Not to mention Wookieepedia not actually being "official," though to a certain degree, who cares what's "official.")

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I doubt Anakin had the time to do so, since his assignment protecting Padme was his first time seeing R2 and Padme for a decade.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hopefully the new X-Wings won't make the bottom half of R2 units cease to exist the way the ETA-2's did. :p

[​IMG]

22. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Wow, who knew Star Wars tech included pocket dimensions for storage? XD

Guess that explains how a YT-1300 can carry 100 tons of cargo.

Dak Oolron and rumsmuggler like this.
  23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Wow, that´s a good one.

24. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Was there ever an explanation given for that? I never thought to look into it.

Any other movie and I say it was a goof, not Star Wars.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Legs? Where we're going we don't need legs.

TheBBP, Sarge, Hoggsquattle and 2 others like this.