main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Incom T-70: X-Wings in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dak Oolron, Jun 4, 2014.

?

How visible should the X-Wing be in the ST? (Multiple votes are allowed.)

1. I want the X-Wing to appear in the ST just as it was in the OT

61 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. I want to see a spiritual successor to the OT X-Wing

190 vote(s)
    75.7%
  3. I want to see completely new starfighter(s)

81 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    ....they "fly" because of repulsorlift. Do you know what that is? Is antigravity, speeders use repulsorlift to push away from the ground. They are super high tech hovercraft. This is why the Snowspeeders needed to open up flaps to make hard turns, cause they were basically just sliding through the air.

Old republic reason. We are no longer in the Old republic.
    The X-wing repulsors are just strong enough for landings. The X-wing actually flies because of it's sublight engines and is stable flight, in part, because of the wings.

But, i guess, who cares.... new cannon.

2. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. Almost no flying vehicles in Star Wars have an airfoil in their design, so no, it's not an Old Republic reason. It's pretty well established that tech in Star Wars works "just because," like EviL_eLF (and others in past posts) pointed out. And that is one of the simple joys that makes Star Wars great- not worrying about stuff like that. But I agree it can also be fun to discuss, as "what if" kinda questions.

One could argue that snowspeeders are a "lifting body" design- that's how they've always looked to me.

And while neither the OT nor ST X-Wing's S-foils function as airfoils, it wouldn't be hard to imagine them slightly changed to resemble the proportionally very small wings of a F-104 Starfighter.
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord and EviL_eLF like this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Star Wars designs are used to elicit emotional responses and evoke thoughts of other things that might actually work while they themselves don't necessarily have to.

Pondscum, dekaneas, KevinM1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    The cooling thing was some EU old republic thing.

Sorry, man, but SW had a tech side just like any other sci-fi and stuff was explained.
    Star Wars has as many tech books out there as any other popular sci-fi.

Those wings are as wide as any other craft, they are just not as long.
    The new X-wing splits that in half.
    BTW, that was a crappy plane.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Wars film tech is never explained... any explanation you see in a book, is EU just for in universe physics, not real world physics.

KevinM1, Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It may not have been a very safe plane (without modifications) - but it served from 1958 to 2004 with some air forces - and had exceptionally impressive capabilities.

sizziano, Sarge and Dak Oolron like this.
  7. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    Lets not go to that level because we never see a lot of stuff happen on the screen so that means almost everything we see on screen is not actually what we are seeing on screen because we never got an actual explanation.

And this is a norm on pretty much everything in entertainment. Because, you know, there are not going to have episodes or movies just explaining the differences between a speeder and a starship or whatever tech exist in any other thing.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Regarding the wings - they are of a flat profile so do not supply lift at all. The most they would do is provide stability, if that.

9. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Are we really arguing about the science of a series with wizard monks and lazer swords? Seriously.

10. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Tell me you didn't get chills with the cockpit shot and new uniforms. As well as the surface flying. So happy the X wings have been resurrected.

11. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

The way they blew the surface of the lake was pure awesome. People cam nitpick all they want about the orange - teal coloring. Rebel pilots never looked this cool.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    This is going to sound kneejerk(ish) but that 3-4 seconds is by far the best footage I have ever seen of an X-Wing.

dekaneas and Dak Oolron like this.
  13. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    The xwings deserves its place still in the movies.

dekaneas likes this.
  14. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    They must have been making a ground assault cant wait to hear the s foils open fire & those proton torpedos, I think I will dig up my n64 from the basement & play rogue squadron.

rumsmuggler and Dak Oolron like this.
  15. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Well either a ground assault or just a practice. Depends on where they are compared to where the base is.

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    Sorry playing a barkhesh mission whatever the xwings were flying to it's a gonna.

17. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

err what?

18. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    Playing game with one hand typing with the other Im met the base is gone destroyed sorry just shot down four tie fighters will the millennium falcon.

Pondscum, Dak Oolron and Darth_Corvus like this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I might agree with you with a possible exception of when I first seen SW as a kid. Those X-Wings rocked my little kid world. However, I haven't had anything close to that with X-Wings sinceā€¦.until yesterday.

20. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    I keep watching it over and over for the X-wings and Millenium Falcon... the latter is a bit too zoomed in and has the J.J. signature lens flare, but WHOA NELLY does it make for an exciting feeling of motion!! :D

Sarge likes this.
  21. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    Its a thread about a machine and we should not talk about THE machine?

22. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I still maintain the worst thing to happen to sci-fi was when we actually went into space. Everything became so generic and bogged down in real world science and technology, that's why Star Wars to me stands head and shoulders above all else in terms of design.

Dak Oolron and dekaneas like this.
  23. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    I'm not saying I don't like it but the wings maybe look a bit skinny now when they're open. Apart from simply looking different to the old X-wings, I don't know what you'd gain by having that type of 'half' wing. I guess there's less chance of the wing being shot though?

Also, when I saw the trailer I noticed the writing on the pilot's chest but could only make out part of it. Listening to Rebel Force Radio they say it says 'pull to inflate' which makes sense. It may not be significant, but they are over water so if they're in battle and have to bail out, maybe the pilots need some kind of life preserver. I wonder if it would be just a life jacket, or if they have something like in The Clone Wars where the pilot was enveloped in a big inflatable ball to protect them when ejecting? They probably won't do that though since I think that was more of a whole ejector seat type thing.

One thing that could be interesting in the ST is if they show someone eject from a fighter in space. They talk about that in ANH but no one does it, nor is it explained how you would do it and survive to be picked up.

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  24. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    The lone x-wing shot pwnwd every other one in the saga.

25. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    That's a really good point. I'd like to see that, too! ANH always had me wondering about that.

I remember an ARC-170 getting destroyed early on in the opening scene of RotS. We see at least two clones floating free after the ship is basically disintegrated. However, it appears that clone pilot helmets (at least as depicted in RotS) are open, a la Rebel pilot helmets in the OT, so I doubt they survived long in space. Compare this to TIE fighter pilot helmets/suits, which are self-contained (sealed) life-support systems. Hmm... [face_coffee]

sizziano likes this.