main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Incom T-70: X-Wings in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dak Oolron, Jun 4, 2014.

?

How visible should the X-Wing be in the ST? (Multiple votes are allowed.)

1. I want the X-Wing to appear in the ST just as it was in the OT

61 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. I want to see a spiritual successor to the OT X-Wing

190 vote(s)
    75.7%
  3. I want to see completely new starfighter(s)

81 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Mine too!

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I really hope we see these in action tomorrow.[face_hypnotized]
    [​IMG]

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, more X-Wing action please.

Dak Oolron and starocean90 like this.
  5. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Those don't look like X-Wings to me. The back of the cockpit is wrong, the wings open wrong, the nose cone is wrong. Everything is wrong.

EDIT: Frankly I'm not sure why anybody likes those new designs. They're fugly as hell.

From my point of view.

6. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    You understand that these are based on the old McQuarrie designs, right? That's why many like these designs. Plus we get a new way for the S-foils to split.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  8. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    They look nothing like the McQuarrie design.

The wings on the McQuarrie design split the same way the OT X-Wing does.
    The nose cone on the McQuarrie design is still as pronounced as it is on the OT X-Wing design.
    The cockpit shape is the same as the OT X-Wing and it most certainly doesn't taper off behind it as well as the fuselage.

The only thing remotely similar is how the engine is split between the two wings and in the McQuarrie design it wasn't because the wings were split laterally down the middle as they are in the awful SW7 design.

Using "a new way for the s-foils to split" as an excuse should not be a good reason to redesign an X-Wing and still call it an X-Wing. Because by definition it's no longer an X-Wing.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    seriously?

Dak Oolron and Toonimator like this.
  10. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Yes, seriously. Do you not have eyes?

11. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Of course he does, and they're better than yours.

The McQuarrie X-wing has a shorter nose than the OT version, as does TFA's X-wing. The back of the TFA cockpit looks pretty damn similar to both the McQuarrie X-wing and the OT X-wing. And how does the new wing split not make it an X-wing? In flight mode, you've now got two slimmer wings with 4 laser cannons visible from the front... then S-foils are locked in attack position and--voila!--now the wings look like an X from the front. Which is how it's always been. It's still an X-wing, it's just a newer model year.

DarthIshyZ and Dak Oolron like this.
  12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    don't waste your time.

Toonimator likes this.
  13. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    That is difficult to tell in the perspective that piece of art is drawn. If it did have a shorter nose than the OT X-Wing, that's because the design wasn't good enough. George had his artists keep modifying that design until it was perfect. That OT X-Wing is perfect. It should not be messed with. It's an X-Wing. If they want to modify the ship from the way it was in the OT, then they should make a new ship and call it something else. If they think they're using McQuarrie's art as inspiration they're not only fooling themselves, they're regressing in spaceship design.

The proof in the pudding is when the first images came out the first thing everybody thought was "that looks like a Z-95 Headhunter". I had the same reaction. If it looks like a Headhunter but is actually an X-Wing, there's a problem with the design.

No it doesn't. Here's the back of the McQuarrie X-Wing.

[​IMG]

Here's the best image I can find that shows the back of the TFA X-Wing.

[​IMG]

You can see that the cockpit tapers down in an arch. That's not in the McQuarrie designs.

They look not at all alike.

It should look the same in all profiles, not just the front. It is not distinctively an X-Wing from all angles. You look at a 2011 Camaro and you can tell it's a Camaro even though it doesn't look like an 1983 Camaro or a 1977 Camaro. But you can tell. That's a Camaro. Compared to this "X-Wing" where, as I said before, people's first instincts were that it looks like a Z-95 Headhunter. When you get reactions like that, you know you've done something wrong.

14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    they took the split engine mcquarrie design and modified it. it still looks more like the mcquarrie design than the ot x-wing does so what's your point?

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    1983 Camaros do not look like Camaros. :p But this new design looks like a new design of an X-wing, IMO.

16. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    A) that's not a cockpit; the cockpit is basically the same as both the McQuarrie and OT X-wings, and B) people said it was a Z-95 Headhunter because the EU had essentially designated the McQuarrie X-wing as one of the many designs of a Z-95 Headhunter... sometimes the wings split, sometimes they were fixed in place. Other changes were made including rounding many surfaces on what ultimately became the "standard" EU Z-95 Headhunter... but the only canonical Z-95 is the one from TCW, which is more a blend of the McQuarrie X-wing and a particular model made in preproduction.

'83 Camaros and '77 Camaros still exist. The Z-95s you referenced no longer exist in the canon GFFA. From all angles, TFA's X-wing still clearly depicts an X-wing. Your petty objections are trollish at best.

17. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I Love Star Wars.

I Love X-Wings.

18. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Fine. Replace "cockpit" with "rear of fuselage". One is a lot easier to say. >_>

My point is using the McQuarrie design is a regression in space ship design. They put a "fan" in charge and he thinks he knows better than Lucas when he clearly doesn't. Lucas rejected the original X-Wing design and made changes to it because it needed to be changed.

This love-in everybody has for McQuarrie's design is pure misplaced nostalgia. There's no reason to get attached to it. Is it great art? Yes. But is it good spaceship design? Apparently not if George Lucas changed it.

I had a 1984 Camaro (same design as 83) and I sure as heck thought it looked like a Camaro when I bought it. :p

[​IMG]

Look at that. That is beautiful. [face_love]

19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  20. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Ah, I see. So, Utapau is a terrible planet, because Lucas changed it to Tatooine. Anakin is a terrible name, because Lucas changed it to Luke. Luke is a terrible name, because Lucas changed it to Obi-Wan. Wookiees are terrible aliens, because Lucas changed them to Ewoks. Lapti Nek is a terrible song for Sy Snootles and the Max Rebo Band, because Lucas changed it to Jedi Rocks.

There is nothing objectively 'wrong' or 'bad' about the McQuarrie X-wing design. It was changed thru a process, part of which may have simply been what materials they had available (as a great deal of the model work involved using pieces from existing model kits).

Your arguments against the X-wing boil down to "it's different from the old one." Did you raise this kind of ruckus when TCW introduced a Y-wing bomber that didn't look exactly like the Y-wing bombers from the OT? They even had bubble turrets for the gunners, something from the McQuarrie art and early preproduction models that Lucas changed.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    DarthBrian : Your Camaro was nice. I was just kind of half-kidding that there was a period there (in the 80's and 90's) when Camaro designs kind of went on a different path. Up through the 70's, and again with recent and current designs, they seemed to be much more consistent in design language. The same thing happened with Mustangs. Anyway, it's not on topic but I wanted to clarify a bit.

Dak Oolron and Wildcatbarry like this.
  22. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    DarthBrian

This is just an incredible statement, and I can't believe I'm reading it. McQuarrie's X-wing is not good spaceship design because George Lucas changed it? Since when is George Lucas an expert in the design of spaceships? The guy spent absolutely no time working for NASA. :)

Newsflash: These are not actual spaceships! They are designed to look cool and be generally functional. And the McQuarrie-inspired TFA versions fit the bill.

And IMO, Camaro's are hideous sports cars. :)

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The engines are smaller (but probably more powerful) and the surface area of the wings are smaller and therefore lighter. It's called progression and that's what happens in the real world as well as the GFFA. I'm guessing that I'm probably a little bit older than you and when I first set eyes on the X-Wing it was a revelation after growing up with old school sci-fi 'rocket ships'. Nothing will ever come close to that fighter in my eyes but I see the TFA X-Wing for what it is; an upgraded version of a classic.

And seriously, comparing a Camaro to an X-Wing? :_|

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Seems like the newer X-Wing is a hit with the plastic modelling community as well. Now that Bandai have the license for producing SW model kits they are producing good quality models with sensible scaling and in large quantities. It would not surprise me if we had four or five new TFA models before the end of the year.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    It looks like an X-Wing. I don't like to say so, but the only reason I can come up with that someone would argue that it doesn't look like an X-Wing is simply for the sake of being difficult.

TFA isn't even out yet and the ST hate-train has already begun it seems.