main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN X3 Last Man Standing

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    It was a great movie guys! Not as good as the first, but a great movie.

2. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    I loved it! Seen it twice now and I think it was better than X2--definitely less intense--I could breath during this one. I agree with J--almost as good as X1. I loved all the "new" characters. I never read the books, so they're all new to me.

Rogue is a pansy in this film. I expect her to be a stronger character, but all we get is her whining about not being able to touch someone and then doing something about it... meh.

I'm all about Kitty now.[image=http://www.cinemablend.com/images/reviews/707/_11339182012.jpg]

3. Obi_J_Kenobi

Nov 15, 2002
    I def have to give a much needed thumbs up for Kitty. Yep, Rogue is quite a pansy in the movies. Let's see she got kidnapped in the first one, crashed the Blackbird in the second one, and did not make a stand in the third. That's what I call, "Born to quit". Kitty on the other hand jumped head first into the fray. Freakin sweet.

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    That movie teh-ROCKED! Phoenix was ohhhhh soooo hot! I finally can stand up without having a big notebook in front of me.

5. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Saw it this evening.

Good:
    Beast.
    Iceman and Pyro going head to head.
    Shadowcat (though Rogue is way hotter, Iceman!!)
    Juggernaut. Heard lots of bad stuff about him beforehand, but he was cool.
    Phoenix. When she got mad, you knew it was going to be serious.
    Going all out on the numbers of mutants and their powers.

Bad:
    Phoenix. Why didn't they use Leech or the cure?
    Professor X. How the hell did he reappear at the end?
    Cyclops (he's had poor use in all the films).
    Rogue. Do something useful with her (apart from being a sexually frustrated emo) or leave her out.
    Angel. What was the pooint of bringing him in?
    Mystique. My favourite Brotherhood character, and she got the short straw too.
    It felt a bit too much like "The Wolverine and Storm Show".

6. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    i am very much disappointed with this one. The more I think about it, the more I hate it. From my favorite X team member Rogue being non-existant to the really crappy way they did the Dark Phoenix, it just wasn't what I hoped for and for what they spent on the movie, could have been much more. The whole "I'm the Juggernaut Bitch" line borrowed from the hilarious little clip from the internet just made it worse. I mean yes, the internet clip is funny but don't put it in the movie, lord. Charles dying was cool, then coming back was cool too. I'm so glad cyclops died i can't describe it with words. I hate they didn't use rogue or leech to take out "Dark Phoenix". Instead they go for the whole romance novel approach and have 3 claws take her out. I'm sorry Dark Phoenix would've eaten Logan for lunch and crapped his adamantium skeleton.

Can you tell I'm disappointed? They didn't even have the decency to put Famke Jensen (sp?) in the hot dark phoenix body suit. No we get this heavy overcoat. Lord knows the woman has the body to fill out the body suit, go for it.

Shadowcat rocked but I hate they kinda used her to push aside Rogue (personal preference there)

Iceman V Pyro = worth the $8

Cyclops finally dying = the other $8 bucks I spent at the concession stand

Magneto punkin' out Mystique once she got "cured" = priceless

7. Echo7Solo

Echo7Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 10, 2005
    much as I hate to say it I can't agree with everything you said. Most but not all. First I have to say I'm a bit upset about Cyclops. Scott was misused from the beginning. Lets face it, this death was a mercy killing. They could have done so much more for him in the trilogy but he just doesn't have an Oscar to buy him more screen time.

I also agree that Logan wouldn't have a shot at taking down Phoenix. Honestly it would have made for a better story line if Scott had sacrificed himself at the end to stop Phoenix killing both of them. But at least they are not moving forward with X-4. We are just stuck with a Wolverine franchise now.

As for them misusing Rogue and Angel.... what can I say? Other than Wolverine who DID get enough screen time? Beast was cool but we didn't get to know him, Angel was completely useless. Three X films all with Jubilee and she never got out of class... not even once? Not that I'm a fan of hers but why put her in ALL THREE if your not going to use her even once?

I can complain a lot more about this but honestly I don't feel the need to. As a movie stands for somebody who has never taken the time to pick up a single X title it is great. If you know a little about it, it isn't bad. If you are a fan of the comic, I don't see how you couldn't feel a little let down. It was worth the money, but I wouldn't pay to see it again.

There is too much going on in the X universe for a two hour movie. It is much better suited for an hour long TV series on something like HBO.... oh wait, HBO can't even handle what they have going for them. That's why the canceled Deadwood's 4th season but are still producing another season of Rome.

8. Obi_J_Kenobi

Nov 15, 2002
    I've read the comics, and I was ok with the movie. That's also because I've learned that you can't do with a movie that you can do with a comic. Unless you've gone to the greatest extreme to do so from the beginning, (Take Sin City). With that being said, the first X-men movie broke the world of film back into the Comic book movie industry. I mean, you didn't have a single good one since the Batman franchise died away. I say, take it for what it is...it's a movie. Enjoy the hell out of the comics, let the pages continue to flip and push your imagination, and let the movies be what they are, Hollywoods interpretation. :)

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well said, J. I'm not much of a comic book fan and never have been. I loved the X-Men movies, but I can understand where die-hard fans of the comics would be disappointed.

Damn... Do we geeks get our feathers ruffled over everything or what? :p

Hey, I like "Rome"!

10. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    And why are people bitching about Rogue for?

She's little more than a kid who had a safe comfortable life till her powers kicked in, unlike Wolverine, who's had to fend for himself since the year dot. And her powers are a curse rather than a blessing. There's very little she can use them for that's worthwhile.

So it's not surprising if she doesn't really do much or stand out (apart from being smoking hot ;) )

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Man, and she is definitely hot.

I understand your point, Ben. Her powers do nothing but isolate her from any affection, which everyone needs, mutant or not. I think I would've made the same decision she did.

12. Echo7Solo

Jan 10, 2005
    with Rogue they only touched on a fraction of her powers. As they did with just about everybody else. Halle Berry and James Marsden almost didn't come back for this one simply because their roles were so small in the last one. If Halle didn't have an Oscar she wouldn't have been able to get more screen time.

I just feel like it was nothing more than Wolverine parts 1-3 and now we are going to have a Wolverine solo flick. Which is going to work better for Fox, now they don't have to pay as many other name actors for one day's worth of work.

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I like Wolverine, so I have no problem with Wolverine movies.

-Tim, the comic-book illiterate

14. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    They're going to make a Wolverine movie?

I think it would make a good TV series--that would be cool if it was done right.

I think killing off some major characters will make it easier to start over if they make a new franchise in a few years. What doesn't make sense to me is that they didn't kill Storm when Halle has said she won't do any more X-movies.

15. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    I tolerated it.

I HATED what they did to Pheonix, and I was uber angered at what they did to Psylocke. Yes, she was in the movie, believe it or not. But her powers were all wrong.

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

16. Echo7Solo

Jan 10, 2005
    yeah Grace, Psylocke wasn't the only one that got ripped off when it comes to their powers. I'm assuming Omega Red was the guy throwing spikes that came out of his wrists. If he wasn't then where was he in the movie?

Tim- it's not that I don't like Wolverine, it is just there is too much of him.

Here is a test. Raise your hand if you feel like your favorite X-man was properly used. Now, everybody who's favorite is Wolverine put your hands down.... how many hands are still left up?

The reason I think it would be a better TV series is because you wouldn't have the same bad guy in each film. We would get to see Apocalypse, Strife, Mr. Sinister and many more. Plus you wouldn't have the same hero every single time being at the center.

17. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    [Wolverine fangirl and Famke wannabe]

I got my money's worth right here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/news/x-men-3-the-last-stand/xmen051206.jpg

=P~

:p

[/]

I'm not a comic reader, so I only know these characters from the movies. I went for the eye candy.

;)

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Whew, and there was definitely some eye-candy in this movie. Hell, I had to buy the seat after the movie was over.

19. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    The eye candy was damn good in this movie! =P~

20. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    Shadowcat was cute but left you feeling guilty for finding someone who looked like a 14 year old hot.
    Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix was hot but left standing by Rogue.
    And as for Rogue, she looked better than ever, even despite the sexually frustrated emo characterisation.

21. Obi_J_Kenobi

Nov 15, 2002
    Wolverine Rocks...And me, Being a red blooded, hetero male, loved the hell out of Kitty. I mean, did you see the way that girl ran? *whew* I'd never wanted to be a bolt of leather (marked as *shadow Cat Wardrobe*) more in my life!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.