main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X3 (X-men 3) Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i wonder when the next trailer is coming out? maybe march? it'd be cool if we could see some sort of preview during the superbowl

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Plus it looks as if Storm is giving a eulogy. I would think that if it was Jean's funeral Cyclops would be speaking. Notice Scott is also noticably absent... [face_mischief]

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    maybe if it is Jean's funeral Cyclops would be to heartbroken to attend and maybe thats why we see him at the lake

4. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think that makes a lot of sense - and then (unfortunately) the next funeral is probably for Scott...

5. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Just wanted to add:
    Gambit should've been in this movie.

there. just wanted to get that out of my system. :)

6. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Gambit shouldn't be on the X-Men, let alone any team unless he's the leader.

Seriously, he has no point being on a team. He's Wolverine's anti-team ego without any reason for it except that he's a ***** when it comes to taking orders. Sure, he used to be a thief. But part of going straight and leaving the world of crime is learning how to take orders without giving any grief. I like Gambit okay as a character, he's just never fit on a team to me and I just don't understand his popularity.

-~This is no Zaku, Boy. No Zaku!~-

7. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    Our views on the character and his place are pretty much irrelevant. Point is Gambit has been a part of the x-men for the last, what? 15 years? Regardless of any of the character's faults and I dare anybody to give me an example of a PERFECT character he deserved to be in an x-men movies because of his history and his popularity.

And yes I know this isn't a popularity contest but otherwise how do you explain Wolverine being in 4 team books and his own solo, and that's without counting the Ultimate titles!?

8. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Wolverine needed something. The team could offer that. I don't recall Gambit ever really needing much, maybe asylum but that's about it. I don't know if Wolverine has ever gotten what he needed, but by the time he either did, or didn't, he had made too many friends...albeit most he made reluctantly.

The point isn't why has Wolverine been on so many teams, the point was why did he join in the first place. Wolverine had a lot more of a reason to be on the X-Men than Gambit ever did.

And if we want to go by history...why wasn't the first movie simply Angel, Ice-Man, Angel, Beast, Marvel Girl, Cyclops, and Xavier vs only Magneto?

If you want to go by history, why didn't Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Sunfire, and the others from GIANT-SIZE X-Men join in the second movie in order to save the original team from a living island type thing?

Answer: Regardless of the history of the X-Men, the movie isn't 616 X-Men, or Ultimate X-Men. It is just X-Men. We can gripe and gripe about how certain people should've been in the movies, but in the at the end of the day they had to use which characters they thought worked best in the storylines they were wanting to tell. Wolverine at this point already has the anti-authority figure down pat. They decided the best way to have Rogue and not deal with the whole Ms. Marvel storyline was to have her young and in the school. A young Gambit would not have worked in this sense and be true to the "character".

I haven't really been following this thread, but is it confirmed that this would be the last movie? If not, we may see Gambit in the next one. My view though: I'd rather see Apocalypse before Gambit.

9. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    Gambit came from a family background. He was part of a Guild, so being part of a team was not that difficult for him. The difficult part was getting the other team members to trust him and for him himself to seek forgiveness for his sins. When the hell did Wolverine apologize for anything!? Gambit is an anti-hero, I'll give you that, but he's an antihero with a much bigger heart then Wolverine. He has been trying to repent for years now. He has a playful, flirty side, and he has a dark, brooding side. He is by no means perfect and recentely he has been handles as Rogue's chew toy which I really don't like, even if I'm a romy shipper at heart.
    The producers, had promised us a gambit since X2. We got a name on a screen and a promise he'll be in a third one.
    Woop dee doo.

That's why I keep saying he's supposed to be in the third. They promised us, and when they couldn't deliver they didn't say ZIP. They kept a lid on it so tight that the fans were left guessing for 6 months. That's what really bothers me. If they would have been honest from the start I probably would've gotten over it by now but instead they chose to procrostinate until the last possible second. And as for "we're saving him" line, that's complete and utter crap.What is this movie called? "The last stand"? It's pretty obvious it's the last X-men movie. We're going into spin offs from here, but this is the last X-men Team Movie.

10. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Just because it is called "The Last Stand" doesn't really mean a whole lot. This is Hollywood, they'd probably make a sequel to Titanic if they thought there was any money in it, or if they could actually get people to make it.

And the comics have all had plenty of "Last Stand"s.

And I never said Wolverine apologized. Shoot, that would be way out of his character, I'm just saying he had more a reason to join the X-Men than Gambit ever did. He just happened to, by circumstance, end up dealing with Sinister and then the Morlocks, and then saving Storm. I don't think he ever actually joined, he just sort of mixed in with them until they gave him member status. Wolverine had a point to be in the X-Men, Gambit doesn't. Sure, Gambit does have a several reasons to stay...but it's the getting his origin on screen that is the hard part.

If this the last, though, I'll be saddened. I would have loved to see any Apocalypse arc on the big screen. But, he'd probably cause a bunch of Bible Thumpers to get into an uproar, especially if they did any storyline involving his horsemen.

-~This is no Zaku, Boy. No Zaku!~-

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    just because it's called the last stand doesn't mean the producers and studio might change their minds and decide to continue it. for all we know Bryan Singer might come back to the franchise which i would really like to happen

12. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    X3 Officially Titled

Fox makes a Stand.
    by Stax

January 24, 2006 - The XVerse has been advised by 20th Century Fox that X-Men 3 has now been officially titled X-Men: The Last Stand. There had been rumors of that new title for awhile.

"X-Men: The Last Stand, is currently being cleared for usage. The title also appeared in a review of 2006 films by USA Today, lending further support to the notion," reports The XVerse.

In related news, The Comics Continuum reports that the novelization of X3, adapted by X-Men comics scribe Chris Claremont, will be released by Del Rey on May 16.

*PLOT SPOILERS* Stop Reading HERE if you are sensitive!

The novel's official plot synopsis claims that in X3, "with the help of new recruits The Beast and Angel, (the X-Men) must face evolution itself in the form of their former teammate, Jean Grey! Possessed with the cosmic power of the Dark Phoenix, the resurrected Jean Grey has become a danger to herself, her mutant comrades, and the entire planet! To stave off this imminent threat to humanity, a potential cure is discovered and processed to treat -- and ultimately eliminate -- genetic mutations, once and for all! Now, as the battle lines are drawn, the X-Men, led by Professor Charles Xavier, must contend with both Jean Grey's world-consuming powers, as well as the malevolent Brotherhood, a band of powerful mutants organized under Xavier's former ally, Magneto!"

[image=http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/article/683/683103/x3-jackman2_1138132530.jpg]
    The latest photo of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in X-Men 3, as seen in Entertainment Weekly.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'm really interested in seeing what look they decided to go with for the sentinels since we'll be seeing them in the danger room training sequence

14. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Ooh, the Danger Room? That should be exciting.

The Last Stand doesn't sound like the end of the X-Men movies to me. It sounds more like a new beginning.

15. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm really looking forward to this. X2 topped X1 so I'm hoping this one just gets better. Jean looks very awesome in those shots. I'm looking forward to see her dark side.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. the scene in the trailer where we see storm, wolverine, collossus, iceman, rogue, shadowcat at the burning urban area and where see Wolvering smoking a cigar w/ explosions in the background is the danger room training sequence.

17. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    The Danger Room was one of my favorite part of the comics. It was so technologically advanced...I can't wait to see it.

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the danger room was supposed to be in X2. they had the basic set built for it and everything

19. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    They just ran out of money to film it or something, right?

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. it was something to do w/ the budget. they had the set for it nearly complete and everything

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    news on when to expect the 2nd trailer

http://www.thexverse.com/news/0233.shtml

After the jaw-dropping announcement teaser that debuted in early December, fans have been eagerly awaiting another glimpse at our favorite mutants. The announcement teaser, which appeared on Apple.com in high definition, is set to be followed by the full trailer for X-Men: The Last Stand in mid-March, our sources say.

Writer Simon Kinberg said on the forums of footage he and Zak Penn have looked at for the trailer, "I can tell you, if you dug the teaser, you?re gonna flip out for the next trailer."

Sounds like X-Men fans have a lot to look forward to! We'll provide more details about when exactly the trailer will debut, and where, as soon as we can!

also here's a link to a thread that Simon Kinberg goes to asks questions. nothing spoilery but interesting stuff.

http://www.thexverse.com/community/showthread.php?t=8

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The Danger Room has always been cool, especially when the Shi'ar technology was added to it. And as anyone who's read Astonishing X-Men can tell you, it is way more advanced than we ever thought. [face_devil] But it doesn't look like they are goin down that road for X3 though.

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    it'll be cool seeing the Sentinels in the danger room sequence. although i'd rather see them facing them in the real world

24. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    With all of the technology in X-Men comics, it's impossible to include much of it into the films. And that's a shame since the advanced technology is part of what makes X-Men so fun.

I guess with no Shi'ar technology, that means no Liliandra (but there are already so many characters in the movie already). But I'd have like to have seen how they studio would have made her look.

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i hope in the next trailer we get to hear and see beast talk. i wonder if Juggernaut will have any one-liners that'll stick out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.