main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X3 (X-men 3) Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    interesting that they didnt even name her that in the credits.
    i definately would've liked her to be named, heck, i didnt even get her human name right
    at the very beggining i thought she might have been Jubilee or something

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I might be wrong but I remember the comics more often just calling her Kitty Pryde, instead of Shadowcat (thoguh that's definitely her codename).

3. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Well, she's so on-again off-again as an X-men, most people would probably know her for her real name anyways. Also, Jubilee was in X-men and X2, but did she make another cameo in this one too?

4. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I don't believe so. So Singer's little thing went nowhere.

Yeah, I call her Kitty Pryde. And she's a pretty permanent member right now at least.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think she was in the scene towards the beginning where Prof. X is teaching the class. I remember seeing an asian girl with a yellow jacket at least.

6. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Can't be sure if it was actually meant to be Jubilee, but there was definately a student in some of the Professor's scenes who looked a lot like the Jubilee of X-Men and X2.

7. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    A lot of people in the X-men never got their codenames.

Kitty was never called Shadowcat
    Henry was never called Beast.
    Warren - Angel (although that is understandable since he had just arrived)

And speaking of Angel, don't you think it was kind of stupid of the bad guys to drag Warren II all the way to the rooftop just so they could throw him off. Wouldn't it have been simpler to simply kill him right then and there!? It's so obivous it sets up the rescue, but it so silly. Not to mention this line:

Quill: "Do we look like we need help!?"
    "Uhm, yeah you do, kid. The kind of help you get in a padded room. And wash your damn face"

8. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, that was pretty contrived. Also, how did Angel get there? Did he sneak aboard the X-jet or did he fly all the way from Westchester to San Francisco?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Also, how did Angel get there? Did he sneak aboard the X-jet or did he fly all the way from Westchester to San Francisco?<<

that's why I'm sayiong they should film some Nightcrawler scenes with him- have Angel convince Kurt to bamf him over to SF in time for the save, hehe.

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Maybe the bad guys wanted people to see Warren II die.

11. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    What people? Only the X-men and the soldiers Warren II hired were around, and wouldn't it make sense they would try to stop them?

12. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    The Brotherhood could see from there, too.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nightcrawler's teleportation is limited to about a mile. And that's only if he has a clear line of sight. I think it's more feasable that Angel flew all the way there than having Nightcrawler make several thousand teleports from New York to San Francisco.

14. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    You mean the ones that were getting slaughtered by Wolverine and his merry crew of mutant misfits? Yeah, I don't think they cared that much.

15. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Or the ones standing on the bridge. The battle didn't take place in that big of an area.

16. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Hmmm, good point. Though if I really wanted to send a message I'd just kill him flat out then hang the body from the fire escape.

But no one ever said Brotherhood goons were smart...and this is PG-13 we're talking so...

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Nightcrawler's teleportation is limited to about a mile. And that's only if he has a clear line of sight. I think it's more feasable that Angel flew all the way there than having Nightcrawler make several thousand teleports from New York to San Francisco.<<

Well, didn't we see in Cerebro Nightcrawler making multiple teleports up the east coast between DC and Boston in X2?

Given how fast we could see Nightcrawler could teleport (consider the "bullet time" scene in the white house), it'd take him less than 30 minutes to get to LA. The X-Jet would take longer to get there, not to mention Angel under wingpower alone.

18. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    See, I was under the impression that that wasn't happening in real time. More like Prof X was showing Wolverine that he had been tracking him.

19. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    Did anybody else really hate that moment when Magneto turned around and said
    "What have I done?"

She's the freakin Phoenix man, she killed Xavier righrt before your eyes. What did you think was going to happen!? She'd wave her finger real mad like and then take everybody out for ice cream!?

20. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    It did seem an odd time for Magneto to have a change of heart. But Ian sold the moment quite well, so I didn't hate it.

21. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    ^ Heh. I love Once more with feeling. :)

I hate everything about that moment, the line (so generic), the delivery (what have i done... and then he heads for the hills), the timing (Jean, kick their asses! *Jean frowns* What have I done! Look how pissed she looks! AHHH! Run for your lives!!!)

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Up until then he really didn't factor in the disaster she could create on whims. Think about it. She turned people into dust in seconds and leveled the prison. Maybe he was realizing he created a person capable of making another Holocaust? Hence the what have I done. And it was his fault. He turned her against Xavier, which he obviously regretted as you can here him cry "Charles!" as Xavier burns up. And then he continues to use her and she nearly goes after him with those needles. Then of course she goes and destroys all those soldiers. Now it took some effort for magneto to move the bridge. Didn't take much for her to obliterate everything in her path. Clearly when it came to Jean, Magneto didn't think things out. He just saw a lot of untapped potential for him to mold. He didn't realize what Xavier did (probably because he's not a psychic) and now that he saw just what she could do he realized his mistake.

23. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    First of all, I have to believe that if he could Magneto would have done something to stop Phoenix from killing Charles. Namely, I choose to believe that she was effectively disrupting his power somehow, like she did with Cyclops. I choose to believe that because what would the alternative be? Magneto stood by and watched his friend die without at least attempting to help him. Throw a car at her. Tamper with her electromagnetic brain waves. Something.

But this brings out the issue of Magneto knowing exactly how powerful Phoenix could be. On the one hand she was strong enough in the mental department to resist the most powerful telepath in the world. On the other hand she could switch off Magneto's powers. Seriously. if you were Magneto and you knew this, and you also knew that Phoenix had jus killed her "father" and was severly unstable, would you want to keep her around?

But to get back to my original point, Magneto knew how powerful she was. Heck, even Callisto tells him Phoenix is stronger then he. I can't imagine a more effective demonstration then her killing Xavier. Furthermore, I have said it again and again, my main problem is not just with the line, but everything surrounding that moment. It was delivered to soon after he goaded her into going beserk and after he said it what did he do? He simply ran away.
    And then again... What exactly is Magneto assuming blame for? Phoenix is an evil crazy b**** from hell. We all know that. His only fault was bringing her along for the ride, but sooner or later she would've started disintegrating puny human receptacles. It's not like Jean was his own little Frankestein project or anything.

But let us move on to the finer things in this movie, namely James Marsden. Maybe because he's so fine, maybe because he was in it the least, but I loved Marsden in this sequel. On the one hand we have his super fine leather jacket which he carried very well, a lot better then Tom Cruise did in War of the Worlds with his jacket.
    And then there's that scene where he gets knocked on his back... and since those jeans were pretty tight I can tell Jean was a very lucky woman. :)

24. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Well Phoenix in the comics was only goaded into extreme action by extreme stress ie the Hellfire Incident or in the film the duality of what Xavier told her versus what Magneto told her.

So you could argue that he wasn't aware of this instability when he brought her along.

It's also quite possible, given the (extremely flawed--Lensherr left Xavier before he started the school) continuity of the films, that Magneto attributed Jean's outburst to her realization of Charles' psychic controls.

25. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    That makes sense. Only thing is, the film kinda shoots itself in the foot when it comes to that idea: later in the woods Jean pulls the stunt with the needles in Magneto's face and accuses him of being like Charles.

He looked pretty freaked over the needle incident. I don't get why he would be so shocked later at her going beserk.

A lot of the characterisations were out of character in this film. I really have to point the finger at the writers for some of this: it's like the scrapped any continuity of character (in regards to the first two films and even within this one) to move the plot along.
    - Logan's not just tamed, he's practically neutered - I miss the old feral Wolverine
    - Charles is an arrogant prat who's suddenly saying things like "I don't have to explain myself to anyone" and "Scott's a broken shell of a man so he can't be my protege any longer"
    - Magneto's feelings towards Charles are inconsistent: he seems shaken after his old friend's death - but then we later get that dig towards Xavier about "building bridges" - how could he say that?
    - Same for Magneto and Mystique - I don't mind him ditching her, but that soon??? Come on, Magneto isn't so heartless as to abandon his closest Brotherhood member that fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.