main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X3 (X-men 3) Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    ouch, looks like I've opened a can of worms because I've been brave enough to publically admit that I enjoyed the x-men movie for what it is!

Says who? Really, is there a written law which states "x-men movies must dwarf all other comic book movies in sending messages".

No. It's just another comic book franchise where the movie producers take pieces that they like and bolt them into a movie which they think will sell.

Guess what ? It worked, and it worked well.

Oppression. Do I really need to explain it further? They were taking a stand against racism and extermination of their kind. It's a theme seen throughout human history, and I felt it was covered rather well here - those who desire to be 'normal', versus those who are honoured to be 'different'.

If they had a 'cure' for being black 100 years ago you'd have seen the same thing. Some people would have changed in a bid to avoid oppression, while others would stand against it and be proud for who they are, and fight for acceptance for who they really were.

Today being black isn't the stigmatism it used to be as great people have successfully fought for change.

They made a massive statement at the end of the movie where the Beast was being put forward as the UN rep for both mutant and non-mutant americans. There's your massive statement you were looking for.

It's a massive theme, and not one usually covered in a comic book action movie.

Yes you can. The movies have always been about Wolverine, not Cyclops. Maybe he's bigger in the comic books, but he's a minor player in the movies. So what? You can't focus on everyone.

2. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    hehe, yeah, I think I'm gonna to erm, edit that post soon...

3. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I went and saw this last week, and to be honest I wasn't 100% pleased with how they tied everyhting together. There were some awesome parts, but the whole thing felt like...well, a closing chapter I guess. Maybe because they had to focus on so many places at once, I dunno. Still a fun movie though.

5. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Exactly, Diva. Malkie, need I remind you that save for a few administrations, mutants are still hated in the comic books.

And message...that's so weak, that's a terrible message, it's the same as the first two.

As an action movie it functioned well? Because it had a "mondo cool, mega audience-pleaser" action scene at the end? Pathetic.

Oh...and by the way. Dark Phoenix wouldn't take hours and hours. Honestly, if the cure had been gone, it could have happene

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    well tie me up and spank my ass - I enjoyed the movie for what it was - if you guys stop having expectations you'll stop being disappointed.....

7. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, how silly of me to actually expect something from a film. You know, I should have just blindly watched it and enjoyed it. I shouldn't have actually thought it would be great.

Do you realize how ludicrous this is? It completely defeats the purpose of film in general.

Congratulations, Scarlet Witch, you've just caused "No more movies."

Wow...what a nerdy thing to say. Hopefully no one else here gets that.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    There is no problem with having expectations for a film. The problem lies when those expectations (whether realistic or not) are not met. Then fans feel betrayed by the filmmakers that the film was not as good as it could/should be. Unfortunetly, more often than not, movies are never as good as people imagine they could be. Especially if the the person is a hard core fan, as many of the bashers in this thread seem to be.
    And what's wrong with "blindly watching and enjoying it"? If someone enjoys something, should they be chastised for it? If you don't like the movie that's fine, but don't try and take that away from someone else.

9. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    I got it. :)

And as for Malkie, don't tell me you went to see Star Wars ROTS without expectations of any kind.

10. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    ComicDivaAfter: the Alcatraz incident it would make sense to me for human mutant relations to deteriorate. making Mccoy UN representative is like appointing an Arab in the same position after 9/11. It's simply not realistic. It is a fairy tale happy end.

Yeah, that really made no sense now that you bring it up...I guess I was too busy vomiting in my popcorn over the rest of the "fairy tale happy ending" which was incredibly out of place after we just watched Logan screaming over Jean after she vaporized about a fifty people.

You can't show something that disturbing (all the moreso IMHO because it lacked any redemption and sacrifice of Jean like in the comics - which at least had a positive note to it), then cut away like everything is suddenly perfect. Three of our heroes have tombstones in the backyard, Magneto's act of terrorism will have made things worse - and everyone happily seems to brush it all aside?

I felt manipulated - very manipulated.

Malkie: I'm glad you liked the movie and respect your opinion on it. But some folks (I include myself) are just very unhappy about the way this film was handled and our minds are probably not going to change. For me, there's just no way around the plot and portrayal of most of the characters. [face_peace]

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    For the whole Beast/UN thing: You think that someone who defended a National Park from a terrorist attack wouldn't be praised? Make that a member of the President's cabinet? Yeah, there's no way he would get a promotion. :rolleyes:

12. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I didn't.

I was disappointed with the two previous movies so I went to see ROTS with no expectations and partially enjoyed it. Had I expected it to be a knockout movie which redeemed the PT then I would have been sorely disappointed. However, that's a subject for a different forum.

13. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    That's a good point.

I guess my issue is more with what it portrays about the world outside the mansion: as though everything is now a-ok with mutant/human relations. We see a mutant getting an important promotion and respect - but that's just that one incident.

After Magneto's stunt, I don't think the rest of the world would react this way.

14. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004

AndI just find it rather unlikely that if a mutant was involved in the destruction of a national landmark (GGB), weeks later a mutant would be named a UN representative.

15. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    While it is possible to watch a film without any expectations, this film makes it impossible. Malkie would have had to ignore virtually every ad there was.

And I agree with Diva on that last point. There's no way that he would be able to convince them on good faith alone. Not if Singer was here....

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I can't believe you guys are being so pissy because someone enjoyed a movie that you didn't.

It attempts to handle complex issues and fails miserably.

Hardly - it's a comic book movie and it handles the themes very well. It's not aiming to be an oscar winner.

While it is possible to watch a film without any expectations, this film makes it impossible. Malkie would have had to ignore virtually every ad there was.

No, I'm just cynical enough to realise that trailers mean nothing.

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002

I think part of his appointment is to show the political bravery of the President. (Speaking of which does it bug anyone else that he's never given a name?) It's supposed to show his support of mutants and their rights. It would be easy fro him to turn around and say "All mutants are evil" after what happened. I think it's a fairly realistic appointment. It happens all the time in real life. Minorities are appointed by people in power to garner support from that group.

The "cure" wasn't sponsered by the government, but it wasn't frowned upon either. The president seemed to be taking a very "middle of the road/wait and see" approach in the movie. The government was only acting against the mutants who had commited crimes. Magneto, Mystique, etc.

While the mutant racism existed in the world, there is no way the government could support it. It would be political suicide. It may be "Fairy Taleish, happily ever after", but it's a realistic scenario IMHO. And who knows, maybe Hank was already in consideration before the Alcatraz incident.

18. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    To all those who didn't like the fil... You let me enjoy the film, and I'll let you critize it.

19. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    To send a message to you and Yodas-Evil-Twin, I'd just like to point out that I don't hate the film. What irritated me in the first place recently was your comments that our arguments were ridiculous and that we should just enjoy the film, etc etc. It's not that I didn't enjoy the film. While I don't think it was the mindless action flick you did, I enjoyed it as a conclusion to the saga that I've loved, not as a good representation of any part of the 616 comic universe.

You were the one who started the argument in the first place. Go enjoy it, I will too. But a bunch of people comiserating and discussing things they didn't like about the movie is a hell of a lot more interesting than hearing you rave about it for 26 pages.

Yoda...unless you've read the arguments and what I have said from my first post in this thread to the last, you can't believe that I unconditionally pick apart this film. Actually, what I'm picking apart now is Malkie.

20. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Enjoy it or not the numbers speak for themselves. 275 million worldwide in ten days and the largest Memorial Day weekend opening in American history. Thats amazing and it should do wonders for the summer box office. Just getting people to the theaters is the most important thing in that buisness ( the theater buisness, not the movie industry ). " The Break Up " was the # 1 movie of the weekend with almost 40 million bucks. It was a good, realistic date movie but thats still amazing for a comedy drama. " Its gonna be a good summer " - Robert DeNiro

21. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I'm actually thrilled. It's not that this is a bad movie for what it is, it's just that it could have been so much better. Keep in mind the 2/3 drop in the second weekend.

Either well, this bodes well for the future of the franchise. I've heard rumors of an Extended Edition DVD, and I assume there was some material cut because the visual effects just couldn't be finished in time.

That said, has anyone heard this rumor of an Emma Frost spinoff as well?

22. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Zak's still answering some of the questions at xverse (he answered mine, lol - freaky feeling). I hope Simon does too.

I've heard that as well - but just in passing.

23. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I saw this last Tuesday and am not sure whether I hate it or just really dislike it. Juggernaut seemed like a total idiot and his costume was horrible. Jean killing Xavier and Xavier was a downer for me. It's too bad that Kitty, Collossus, Angel and Beast had really small roles. The end battle with Magneto was too short. If they ever do a 4th movie they **** well better have Sentinels in it(and not just the head of one).

24. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Did you read Harry Knowles's Review? His rip on the Sentinals (or paucity of them) was pretty great:

25. marc_craigwb

marc_craigwb Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    ive just seen it and its fantastic-only criticism-beast shouldve been HUGE!kelsey grammer was the perfect choice for the role but they shouldve spent more time and effort making him tower over the other xmen,surely thats not so hard?dont get me wrong he looked great but i really felt he shouldve been hulksize,that would make his intelligence and humanity much more poignant.i dont mean to bitch cos i love all three movies but the xmen are not all human sized and of them all beast needs to be a beast meaning biiiiiig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.