main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X3 (X-men 3) Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I just picked up the first 3 Volumes of AoA. You talk about something being butchered, they could never bring AoA to the screen. They would tear that masterpiece apart.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Ugh Planet X was awful. Definetly the worst part of Morrison's run on New X-Men. He butchered Magneto's character by turning him into a crazy drug addict. And hasn't it been retconned that it wasn't even Magneto the whole time? It was someone pretending to be Magneto, pretending to be Xorn. Or at least, that's how they explained it when Magneto returned in Excalibur.

3. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    See, I thought it was the perfect direction for Magneto to go, in fact it was one of my favorite depictions of him to date. The once great villain becoming everything he hated, and a pitiful drug addict to go with it. And his last great show of power was to kill the Pheonix with a touch of his hand. I think the moral of the story was no matter how powerful Magneto got and how great he though he was, he was still human and subject to the same addictions and problems that humans have. It showed that Magneto was a god, but a sad little unimportant god.

But that story (along with most of his run) on X-men is usually either loved or hated. Personally I loved it. So much so, that when I saw it was retconned I stopped buying X-men comics. Well, I still buy Astonishing and Ultimate... but all the others are dead to me.

4. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Good, I don't think X-Men wants someone who wishes that story wasn't retconned as a reader anyway.

I just had my memory refreshed as to what that was...and that, Morrison, and Xorn (yes, he's caught in the crossfire, but so what, I never liked him) should burn in the darkest reaches of hell...or, failing that, the pseudo-hell from the UXM annual #4.

I kind of meant Ages as a trilogy, BTW. Seeing as you have the ONLY three books.

5. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Well come on, you have to admit, Uncanny has been terrible for the past like two years. And look they finally kill off Magneto and Pheonix... and then they immediately come back to life. And it's getting just ridiculous. And nothing upsets me more than when a character is brought back to life with no other purpose than the fact that the current author wants to write that character. For heavens sake, just let dead characters stay DEAD. But no, any time an author gets a chance to finally kill off a character, it never stays that way. No matter how good the death scene is. And the number of times that Pheonix has died has officially gotten to the point of being a bad joke. And so they bring back Magneto... just to take his powers away. They bring back Pheonix just to have her go away again... I thought Planet X would be a turning point. Whether you thought the story was good or not shouldn't matter. Xavier's crippled, the mansion is gone, New York is in ruins, Magneto is dead, Pheonix is dead, Scotts with Emma. And in less than a few months, it's like none of that ever even happened in the comcis.

Gwen Stacy has been dead for years... and the X-men have become a joke with all the death and ressurections. What I mean is, I know these are comics, that thing is accepted, but WHY!? Especially in X-men where there are an endless supply of characters. Why do we have to see the Pheonix Saga pt. 37? Geez, we've seen Bucky, Jason Todd, and Colossus come back to life. For what purpose? Anyways... I'm really really going off topic and expressing my anger at comics as a whole. My point is, when they start getting the guts to put out good stories again, maybe I'll catch up. There's always TPBs.

6. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Uncanny has sucked for the past few years? I don't think you mean since Claremont started writing, or you are a fool. He's written quite well for the team he selected. I can't believe you would prefer the utterly terrible storyline you proposed to Uncanny since the New Age returned.

Maybe you should take note...Uncanny frequently ranks in the top 10 in the Diamond Distributors sales charts, so I don't think the general populace thinks it sucks.

Let me guess...you hate X-Men since Day of the Atom too, right?

Yeah, characters are brought back, and Phoenix has had good reasons since the X-Factor "bay" bull****. You'll notice she isn't back now? And that Scott's moved on? Slipped your mind?

So get over it, it's the way things work. Name a comic that's not like that.

7. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    two years... two. Since Austen took over. You cannot tell me you actually thought stories like The Draco were good. And no, Claremonts work ranges from good to great, but never bad.

And you sure do like to make a lot of assumptions and jump on people for having a different opinion than you. I think you need to lighten up just a little. Like look at the other posts. Lando said what he didn't like about Planet X, I said what I did like about it. And then you jump in and tell me people like me shouldn't be reading X-men because I liked a certain storyline? Seriously...?

8. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Okay, I was "jumping" on you because you are wrong. Claremont's first issue, Uncanny X-Men #444...was released in 2004. Chuck Austen's first, which I believe was #415, was when I lived in a different state. I think before you insult the book you should check.

That said, I understand you weren't insulting the Claremont stuff now. Sorry.

And you were the one who delivered the ultimatum: "well, Uncanny has sucked anyway, so...my story is finite."

But sorry for yelling anyway, I was just upset because to me it seemed like you had completely thrown the conversation out the window with a comment like that.

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Uh, guys, this thread is about the X3 movie, not about the comics. Thanks.

10. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Okay. I think the Age of Apocalypse would be a great 4th movie or second trilogy.

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    The biggest difficulty for makeing Age of Apocalypse into a movie (or movies) would be explaining the different timelines. All the characters that the general public have come to know over the past three movies would have totally different characterizations. Especially Magneto, Cyclops, and Wolverine. It could be done, but I have a feeling there would be way to much exposition. Another possibility would be for them to completely butcher the storyline and make it in the future or something. I just think AoA would be to difficult to put onscreen.

12. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Well...yeah. But it wouldn't have to be faithful. Unless Ratner did it, then I would hate him forever, I just don't think he could handle something like that.

On second thought, another Apocalypse story would be better.

13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So, the unfaithfulness is only a big deal if Ratner is involved? That's kind of...confusing. :confused:

14. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    X3's really dropping from the BO. 13 3rd Weekend. And it won't even clear 200 by the end of this weekend. :(

15. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I meant that he's only really good at action scenes, and sort of missed the boat as far as emotion and explanation were concerned. Yeah, that was a crappy post. Haha I thought I had said it because I knew in my head what I meant.

16. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I think Apocalypse (or Sinister) would make a fine choice for X4, but the Age of Apocalypse storyline (even cropped & modified for cinema) is far too ambitious.

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I agree. Here's a rought story idea for the way I would do another trilogy.

X4 - Reveal that Cyclops is alive and introduce Havok as his brother. Have Sinister show up and attempt to kidnap Scott/get a blood sample. He uses that and perhaps a sample of Jean that he already has. Maybe make him work for Worthington Labs and he somehow was there to get a sample from her. Their combined bloodwork could create an evil version of Cable or Rachel Summers. By the end reveal that Sinister is working for Apocalypse.

X5- Have Angel turned into ArchAngel by the films end. Have Apocalypse be a bigger player. Introduce Gambit, Sunfire, and Polaris to work with Angel as the horsemen. (Take THAT Gambit fans. :p) Perhaps the movie ends with a cliffhanger with Apocalypse having taken over a significant portion of the U.S. Maybe even have Prof. X really die.

X6- Fast forward a few years to a very loose AoA aproximation. The X-Men and Brotherhood have merged to fight Apocalypse. Introduce Blink [face_love] and Morph as X-Men. Magneto leads a revolt against Apocalypse.

18. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004

19. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I like it. Especially X4 a la Ultimate X-Men.

20. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    An apocalypse trilogy could be a double-edged sword. X3 wrapped up so much but still has a few loose strings. It feels like the final film for the most part. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see some new life in the franchise with a new trilogy. 1-3 relies on the sense of equality with suplots of Phoenix, Wolverine, etc. 4-6 is pretty much the war against apocalypse.

21. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, if it isn't wrapped up well it won't work.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Finally saw this, and was surprised that it wasn?t the train wreck that I figured it would be. Of course some flaws were more than glaring, namely the complete botching of Cyclops and the general rushed feeling of combining two epic plot lines (Phoenix and the cure) into mere cogs on the way to the final action-fueled confrontation, but still Ratner managed to deliver an effort that fit in nicely with Singer?s strong setup installments. As things stood, a lot of interesting thematic points managed to shine through the obvious blemishes. I appreciated Xavier?s insight that mutants had to be free to take the cure if that?s what they chose, while Rogue?s taking this course of action presented a nice coda to Xavier?s dream of coexistence finally starting to take shape. I can understand how some thought Rogue?s character was diminished by this choice and her subsequent exclusion from the final showdown, but I thought it fit in nicely with the plight we have come to accept was an eternal descriptor of her life. And besides, from a perspective of in film logic, Rogue?s powers really weren?t the type that would made her a valuable choice for throwing a team into physical combat.

Magneto?s scolding of Pyro for demeaning Xavier was a nice quiet moment of character development that further illustrated Magneto?s potential to amend his worldview into something more constructive. I actually think this might have been a stronger, albeit more subtle foreshadowing of a potential plotline for a fourth film than the blatant post-credits teaser. The same could be said for Logan?s insistence to Rogue that ?he?s not her father, he?s her friend.? Here was another moment of quiet development that was teeming with a subtext of future romantic possibility.

While I admit that this film probably would have attained a greater epic scope had Singer stayed on to finish what he began, I can?t deny I went home happy. Ratner may not have pulled off some miraculous play, but he didn?t drop the ball either.

Okay. I think the Age of Apocalypse would be a great 4th movie or second trilogy.

My fanboy dreams would see this as the basis for a second trilogy. AoA remains the epitome of anything X-Men related for me.

23. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes another adoring fan haha.

24. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Just came from MovieWeb.

Interestingly, it has made more than King Kong, X2, and a few others I did not realize it had surpassed. It is a number 51 right now, and only needs to make a few million more to break into the top 50 grossing movies by knocking Rush Hour 2 out of the number 50 spot.

Right now, it's Ratner vs. Hmmmmmmm. . .Ratner.

25. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Rush Hour 2? What an insult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.