main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Xanatos: Detached - JA, AU - COMPLETE - - - Thanks for the Nom!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Ooh there seems a change in attitude now that Bruck is finally his apprentice.
    Xani doesn't seem as friendly towards him as he was before.[face_thinking]
    And whats with separate rooms, how can Xani keep an eye on his brat of a Padawan if he's three floors away.o_O

Now the fun begins.8-}

2. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    yes, i was nonplussed at the distance between their rooms, too. seem to remember that master-padawan accommodations are like suites, or at least adjoining?

[face_thinking] hmmmmm wonder what Xan has up his sleeve .....

3. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    I think Bruck is in a state of shock. I wonder when the "OMG, what have I done?" panic will set in. Perhaps it already has. ;)

I, too, loved the idea of Obi-Wan pitying Bruck. He, better than anyone, knows what it's like to be shipped off to AgriCorps. Doesn't anyone ever feel called to that assignment. Surely somewhere among the thousands of initiates that passed through the Temple, some of them must have loved farming.

[face_thinking] Hmm, something to think about.

4. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Great post. The distance of the rooms is disturbing, but then everyone has there own idea of what the Jedi quarters are like.

I used to help the custodians while at college. I think the worse thing I ever had to help clean was the stoves, especially behind them. It's amazing how nasty stoves can get.

5. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Ah, lovely, yet another look at Temple life. I enjoyed Xanatos' journey through the Temple as he 'fixed' things :D

Poor Bruck, Xanatos certainly doesn't cuddle him! Immediately being left in Craglar's care and then having to leave most of his stuff behind and those ominous words when he's finally showed that which he was so desperately working for: his padawan suite - where he will stay until the day he dies :eek:

Trust Xanatos to take the fun out of even such a momentous occasion [face_laugh]

And I'm liking Craglar more and more, he's great [face_love]

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004

Valairy_Scot: Bruck is not used to empathy; he thinks it's all pity. So, he would not understand it from Obi-Wan, even though Obi-Wan is sympathetic to him for once. And Xanatos would appreciate a 'May the Force be with you' from someone he worked with more than from someone up on the Council like Yoda. Thanks for reading!

XANl: Thank-you! Xanatos isn't going to make anything easy for Bruck And Bruck will have to get through the first night before he can worry about what comes later. [face_mischief]

Gkilkenny: Bruck is getting his first lesson in humility. From an expert. About Bruck's room. . . . . I always write Jedi as being very monastic. Plain, separate rooms to discourage attachment (and I think separate rooms would be easier to manage with people coming and going and different species). In my other stories I have Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon only one level apart. Since Xanatos has Jedi all around him for neighbors it's not likely he can get into much trouble. Plus, I think if Xanatos had to share rooms with Xanatos for too long this story would have to be a murder mystery. [face_mischief] Thanks for the reply!

ratna: Xanatos has more to come. And I do always place Jedi in separate rooms, though I suppose there might be some times with Jedi would share a room for short periods of time. [face_thinking]. Thanks for reading!

p_stotts: There are still more shocks to come for Bruck. [face_whistling] Thanks for the reply!

jacen200015: Thank-you! Yes, you learn all sorts of things about places when you clean them. And Xanatos has learned a lot.

Seremela: Thanks! Xanatos does sort of give Bruck the shock-treatment version of apprenticeship, but he probably needs it.

7. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

- ooOo%oOOo%oOOOOo%oOOo%oOoo - - - - Part 7

Bruck looked about warily. Then he bowed.

"Thank-you," he said, possibly an attempt to get rid his fatalistic new Master. Xanatos smirked.

"We're not done yet. Have a seat."

Xanatos went into the fresher and found combs, cutters, trimmers and elastic ties. When he came out Bruck was sitting on a floor cushion.

"Turn around," he ordered. When Bruck complied, Xanatos dumped the tools on the table and sat down next to them. "Now let's see what we've got," he said speculatively. He grabbed a handful on the back of Bruck's head. The boy braced himself, but said nothing, finally having figured out what his Master was up to.

Bruck had let his hair grow long, clearly anticipating becoming an apprentice. A lot of Initiates did. Xanatos had. But Bruck's white hair was fine and thin and he had to gather a lot of it for even a small tail lock. And for the braid. He tied those off and then appraised the rest.

Trimmer poised, Xanatos was quite tempted to shave it all off. Just to see what it looked like. But he did not want to risk having a Padawan with an ugly bald head following him around until the hair could grow out again. Cutting the rest of it short would do. The trimmer hummed. Long strands of white hair fell away over Bruck's shoulders, down his back.

"You've said very little since I rescued you from the Agri-Corps. My young Padawan," Xanatos commented.

"I - - - I'm grateful that you chose me. My Master."

Xanatos chuckled. "You accepted me only because no one else would have you. I'm honored by your service." He brushed the fine white hairs away. "Will you tell your family who your new Master is?"

Bruck tensed. Xanatos pulled the trimmer away. "What do you know about them?" he challenged, some of his old pride finally reviving.

"I know who they are. I know they send you private coms every year. I don't know what's in them. But I did stalk you for weeks, Bruck. I made inquiries." Bruck scowled back. "Turn your head, Padawan. I haven't finished yet." Bruck did so and Xanatos cut off the last of the excess hair. He then trimmed the tail lock and tried to comb it into a passable curl but it refused, laying flat on his head. Bruck's hair was even thinner and more lifeless than his own.

"Turn your head," he said. After Bruck did so, Xanatos began tying the braid. He used orange and blue bands. He supposed the colors meant something, but he would just make something up about what that was later. Blue and orange were what he had found first in the fresher.

After tying the last band, he sat back to admire his work. But Bruck's expression was as grim and serious as if he was being prodded by a medical droid.

"So, what did your father say to you? I know you received a com from his recently."

Bruck's eyes glared a silent challenge.

"Padawans and Masters do not keep personal secrets from each other," Xanatos instructed.

"What about your family? Your father?" Bruck countered.

Xanatos sat back, a long sigh escaping him.

"You are wise to ask me first. Since my story is so much more colored than yours." He closed his eyes briefly before beginning.

"I was Crion's only son. Only child. My talent was only discovered when I was three, relatively late, but not unheard of. And of course, it was a great honor to give me up to the Jedi. I suppose my father expected to have more children, but my mother was killed in an accident soon after I was taken. And Crion never seemed to be able to attract another suitable woman. Some people insist that the loss drove him to become cruel and ambitious, but I really doubt that. Nobody could be as vicious as he was without a natural talent for it.

"I got yearly coms from him, but I never answered. I was only ambitions to become a Jedi Knight and Qui-Gon Jinn selected me when I was only ten to be his apprentice. I had a lot of talent. And I knew how to use it.

"But I failed in my ambition to become the youngest Jedi Knight in the Order, but Qui-Gon thought I was ready to take the tri

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Xan is free! And Bruck is terrified. Wonderful start to the relationship. ;)

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I loved Xani's tale of how he killed his Father, he has Bruck so confused and scared the boy will obey him instantly.[face_laugh]

Exciting:D

10. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Wow! Talk about being caught up in the moment! Great chapter, Ann. Bruck is probably wondering how to avoid his crazy master. I think Xanatos will be fortunate if Bruck doesn't flee the temple in fear of his life. At least it was a good step for Xan. Flushing out the muck and mire of the mind is never pleasant. It churns up all kinds of umpleasantness, but when it's all over, all you have is clear thoughts.

11. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    looks like this is going to be quite the adventure for both Xan and Bruck. I think maybe they will be good for each other.[face_love]

12. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Very exiting part, and although I can't blame Bruck for his fear, I personally loved the lively way Xanatos told his story :D

Soooo... he wanted to be the shiny Jedi knight who saved Telos, eh? It must have been a shock for him to find out how things really stood and I'm certainly glad that he couldn't let Qui-Gon be killed. I also love how you switched his thinking in the JA books around and have him see being attached to one small planet as not enough by half. =D=

And he seems to have made a major step in his own recovery, which, I guess, is very good considering that from now on he has a padawan he needs to train.

Bruck will have to learn to think for himself, it's clear that Xanatos won't have it any other way! [face_devil]

13. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    Xanatos seems to had this flash-back daily. He got want he wanted at a high price,
    now he is trying to cleanse his soul by
    seeking peace within himself.[face_worried]

Ready to move on and stop another life lost to the dark,
    Xanatos seems to want to redeem his actions by saving Bruck from the dark-side.

Xanatos gets caught up in his story and brings his sabor to life. The fear that Bruck
    feels, is do to the fact that he is a bully. No one has every tried to take a
    stance and put fear into
    Bruck.

It now seems that the padawan is not so brave- caught in the same room as a "Mad-man".

Great play on the inter feelings that drive both Bruck and Xanatos.
    The pair will learn to fear before they seem to understand each others past.

Up-date soon...I am addicted to your story!:_| I need a new chapter soon!!

=D= Great story!

14. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

Valairy_Scot: Xanatos is free indeed. And Bruck has to deal with it. Thanks for reading! :)

Gkilkenny: Bruck is scared now, but Xanatos might still have to work to keep him in line. ;) Thanks for reading!

p_stotts: Xanatos has made big progress, so Bruck has been good for him. Thanks for the reply!

ratna: Yep, it's the beginning of a tough relationship. Thanks for reading!

Seremela: Thanks! Xanatos does act out his story too much for Bruck, though.

XANl: Thank-you! Yes, Xanatos has learned his lesson that he sees that Bruck will need as well.

Hmmmmmmm, I hope you're going to forgive me if I end it here, but I always intended to conclude with Xanatos's revelation with Bruck. But still there are always possibilities with these two.

15. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    - ooOo%oOOo%oOOOOo%oOOo%oOoo - - - - Part 8

Bruck Chun did not sleep that night.

After cleaning up (he put his discarded hair into the main room's waste disposal) he unpacked his things, putting spare clothes and equipment and learning assignments onto shelves. He paused when his hand pulled out his holo-reader, his father's last message still in it. Sagging, he sat down on his sleep couch and activated it.

Nothing about it had changed.

Except it wasn't true.

Feeling betrayed, he watched the shadowy little figure of the big man with white hair. Bruck no longer felt as if this stranger was even his real father.

Then who was?

Xanatos?

Flinching, Bruck shut the recorder off and tossed it aside. He felt orphaned. Alone. Xanatos's words about him living in this miserable little room until he died sounded very, very real to him now. Was this what happened to his friends who had already been chosen? Shut into little gray rooms by their Masters?

No, he thought, despairing. They would at least be going out on missions, flying to distant planets. Being Jedi. While he would be toiling away in the lower levels of the Temple with his crazy Master, where Master Craglar could spit on him for the rest of his life.

He flopped back onto the sleep couch. His hand touched his head and the short hair that Xanatos had left behind. Then his fingers probed behind his right ear, the braid that he had paid such a high price for.

What had he done? What had he agreed to?

- ooOo%oOOo%oOOOOo%oOOo%oOoo -

Bruck Chun looked awful in the morning.

But he was dressed and ready, his room was clean, so Xanatos said nothing about his long face and the sleepless circles under his eyes.

Xanatos had already had his morning meditation, but he had not decided what Bruck's routine would be. He would observe the boy for a few days before deciding. There was plenty of time.

In the eating hall, they collected their trays and food and after scanning the first meal crowd, Xanatos spotted exactly what he wanted. He wove between the tables and people toward his goal, Bruck following.

"My fine friend, Qui-Gon," he greeted with a smile.

Qui-Gon Jinn smiled and nodded back. His Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi froze, a scoopful of food halfway to his gaping mouth. Xanatos went around the table to take the seat across from Qui-Gon.

"I'd like to introduce my new Padawan, Bruck Chun."

Qui-Gon turned his head to look around his shoulder. Bruck still stood away from the table, holding his tray, his eyes locked with Kenobi's.

"Bruck!" Xanatos spoke loudly enough to catch the attention of people at the other tables around them. He pointed at the single empty chair left, the one across from Kenobi. Conspicuously now the center of attention, Bruck edged over to the empty seat, keeping as far away from Kenobi as he could. He sat. The air across the table seemed to thicken with the mutual loathing of the two Padawans.

"Is this a new appointment?" Qui-Gon asked, dabbing a thick white spread on a muffin.

"Just yesterday," Xanatos answered, unfolding his napkin. He had a fine appetite. On either side of him, the petty furies of the Padawans were brewing. And Xanatos. . . .

Did.

Not.

Care.

Somewhere in his long ago past, Xanatos knew that nothing would have mattered to him more than the personal slights of others and settling old scores. But it mattered not at all now.

So, this was the real Jedi detachment that Qui-Gon had tried to teach to him for years. It was bliss. Across the table, Qui-Gon Jinn looked a bit smug. Clearly he could sense his old apprentice's contentment. But even that did not bother Xanatos. He put a dollop of sauce on his tayos and protein patties and took a bite. Even food tasted better.

"Perhaps, now that you have a new apprentice, we might train together?" Qui-Gon offered genially. "This afternoon I will be showing Obi-Wan a new form. I'm sure Bruck is up to the challenge."

The two Padawans silently glared over their food at each other. Both Masters ignored it. Xanatos was quite glad

16. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Years. . . . . teaching, struggling to make a self-centered, thick-headed bully into a Jedi Knight. He wanted to succeed. He wanted Bruck to know what he had to learn the hard way. He. . . . . . cared. In the most selfless, sappiest Jedi way possible. Xanatos looked down at his plate.

Well, at least his food still tasted good.

This is priceless.

The story ended too soon -- meaning i am greedy for more. But actually it is also lovely the way it is. Bravo.

17. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    The end? o_O THE END?!:( [face_frustrated] Surely you gest! :confused: You can't let a wonderful story like this end -- not when you're just getting to the meat of the plot. We have to see challenges to Xanatos' new detachment. We have to see Bruck struggle and grow and learn. We have to see Bruck and Obi resolve their differences... hopefully after a good knock-down dragout fight [face_beatup] -- with their masters spying on them the whole time, of course.[face_whistling]

What do you say, Anne? How about a sequel? [face_praying]

:p Yes, I went overboard on the emoticons. I wanted to make sure I got my point across. 8-}

BTW -- Wonderful story. My definition of a great story is one that I don't want to end. Yours fit the bill perfectly. Great job? =D=

18. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    :eek: [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] OMG, OMG, OMG, I'm still howling from laughter! This was abso-lute-ly priceless! Xanatos' thoughts on detachment, on bliss, on Bruck... [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Poor Bruck. First he gets the shining message that he'll be going on missions after all, and then Xanatos comes with the perfect plan to ask Master Craglar along! Yeah!

So... will that be your first sequel then, the first mission of these three together? Or will your first write a story about Bruck and Obi-Wan being thrown together by their masters in the temple, before we get the story of that mission? Because I'm sure you're going to write a whole series, right? Yep, knew you would [face_whistling] [face_mischief]

Can I claim a spot on the pm list already for this series? Thanks O:) O:)

19. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    First, apologies for trying to catch up on all my replies to replies in a weekend. It looks silly, but hopefully the clutter will sink down in a few days. [face_blush] But there have been some specific questions in some replies and its even sillier to wait six months to reply to them.

ratna: Yes, this is just the beginning for these two, but I really did mean for this episode for them to end here. However, this is a WIP that's been kicking around on my hard drive that might benefit by adding these two to get it going again. But I'll have to think through the details for a bit. Thanks for reading this one!

p_stotts: Well, there can be more, but I do need to work out some details. Xanatos's revelation is the climax for this chapter of his story. Thank-you for reading!

Seremela: Thank-you! It was wonderful for Xanatos to finally 'get it.' Now he just has to teach Bruck. There will be a break between this time and when they all get together again but I do need to work out how it would happen.

20. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    I was surprised too to see this marked as complete, I thought it was far from over and that I must have missed a couple of posts. But I think you ended it nicely, Xanatos reached a turning point and he won't be going back. That said, I would still love to hear more :D. I think you did a great job on this. I truly enjoyed it.

21. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I got behind. Now I'm caught up. But it's OVER!!! :_|

I loved it. Every word.

What a wonderful story. =D=

22. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    azizah: Aaaaaaaah, but you should always leave your audience wanting more. [face_mischief] The story was really meant to cover Xanatos's revelation and pairing with Bruck, but not to go too far beyond that. Thanks so much for reading! I do have follow-up story in mind, but it's a few stories down in the queue at the moment.

VaderLVR64: Thank-you! And I know all about being behind, myself. :rolleyes:

And thanks for the noms fro Xanatos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.