main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xanatos Snapshots

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HaiGan, Mar 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    "Qui-gon told me that An-Paj is threatening to make you eat a week?s worth of Yoda?s gruel for the mayhem you caused last night."

URGH!

I'm loving the re run of theses :)

BTW, There WAS a Gargoyles character called Xanatos, you are quite right :)

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I liked the unusual view of Juli that we got in the first snapshot, Kit, blaming herself for her master leaving the Order, and wanting to fly away from all the trouble and the empty apartment and everything. I have to ask, though, does this take place before the other snapshots that included Juli? Is this the reason she likes to make others miserable, or was she like that before? If she was like that before, is that why her master left? You gave us such an excellent description of Xanatos' inner workings as well, that evil, insidious way he stores away useful information for a later time. I can't help but wish that -he- had fallen off.

3. SiriGallia

SiriGallia Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2001
    Your right, your right, your right, silly me, yes, it is spelled Xanatos! Sorry :) Actually though at one point or two, yours did get spelled Xantos which isn't right.

By the by, these are really great!!!!

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent stories. I still love that the first thing Sara says after finally seeing Qui-Gon is "I never thought you were so old!" --LOL!

And Kit, that first post left me with lots of questions into Juli's personality. She seemed so fragile in that post, something the later one's could not describe her as. Now I'm wondering if her association with Xanatos caused her coldness...sounds like even then she had something big for him and he used that to his advantage!

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    "I feel like I am making a terrible mistake!"

Actually, I think this is in the right order of posts, but I am scared that I haven't got Barin completely down pat and that I am stuffing him up in some way or another. Let me know HaiGan if he is still not completely right, and I'll remember it in furture (I hope). I just *had* to post one of my snapshots myself, although HaiGan is the biggest sweetie for posting them for me :D

Okay, to answer some questions:

Jane: You are right. The first snapshot takes place before any of the other except perhaps the child one of Xani and Barin which was recently posted on the snapshots thread.

Siri: Yes, I know some of them are still spelt Xantos because I made the foolish mistke ones or twice of not checking the spelling of the name.

Hopefully this post will put to rest any questions about where Juli gets her personality...for now.

Sorry about length

Kithera

***So last season***

"Honey?" Master A'me Oen asked as she surveyed Juli's outfit, "Is that really appropriate?"

Juli looked down at her outfit surprised, the green top set off her hair and skin and the gold shimmer of the pants complimented her top. Juli flicked her hair over her shoulder and frowned.

"It's okay isn't it?" Juli asked doing a twirl.

"Honey? Who are you going out with?" Master A'me asked her delicate eyebrows raised.

"Xani and Barin, they are only friends." Juli said and then added under her breathe, "If you could call them that."

"Friends?" A'me asked, "Honey, you may go around looking like a tramp for your friends but I certainly would not. Anyway it doesn't do anything to make you hips look smaller and you know that is the area of your body you should be working on."

Juli raised an eyebrow but didn't meet her Master's gaze. No matter what she tried to do to appease Master A'me it didn't work. The Jedi Master always found some why of putting Juli down, only that Master A'me called it constructive criticism not an insult. Besides usually she was right. The gold shimmer pants did make Juli's hips look fatter. "Why don't you try your red pants and black top?" Her Master said.

Juli sashayed back into her room and changed. She stood by her mirror; a birthday present from her new Master after Master Tellia left. She did look bigger around the hips. Her cheekbones were too high and her lips too small. Her thighs were too big as well. Juli cast another glance over her figure and then sighed dejectedly. It was no good, whatever she wore she would always still be fat and ugly. Juli sighed and walked briskly back into the lounge room, brushing her hair back out of her eyes. Master A'me looked at her faint disapproval sparkling in her eyes.

"Well, it isn't the best, but I can't say that I didn't try." She muttered to herself but loud enough for Juli to hear. Juli smarted at the words as her face remained neutral and calm, emotions were something she hadn't shown since her days as Master Tellia's padawan. Master Tellia had always told Juli that emotions were a weakness and Juli had slowly learnt to hide them behind a wall of indifferent coldness. She raised an eyebrow Master A'me sighed again. "I don't know what to do about you Juli; you don't listen to me. No wonder Master Tellia left if you paid this much attention to her."

Juli said nothing in reply as she walked towards the door, head held high. She flipped her hair over her shoulder as walked towards the lifts and the waiting figures of Xani and Barin. Master A'me was probably right again, maybe her inattention had made Master Tellia leave.

"You look fabulous, Juli." Xani complimented her as she came up to them. Juli gave him a perfect smile and then cast a sneering look across at Barin. The boy smiled at her and gave one of his perfectly charming bows, seeming totally unaffected by her distaste. It was a charm Juli desperately wanted to break, her eyes narrowed and Barin smiled again. Gritting her teeth, Juli focussed back on Xanatos. The young man smiled easily and to

6. Rinin

Rinin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2000
    HI Kitten,

I was wondering if you had started any new stories and I knew you were writing snapshots so today when I decided to do my once a year check in I saw you had posted to this and thought "Snapshots" and decided to check it out.

It's really awesome! I love it. I can't wait for something from HaiGan as well! :p

~R~

P.S: Why didn't you tell me about Sara before????

7. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Juli wonders why Xanatos keeps Barin around, but maybe she should wonder why Xanatos keeps -her- around, if he only has friends for a purpose. Excellent insight into her awful home life. Sounds like she really went from the frying pan into the fire, having her first master leave her and then having another one take over who can't seem to do anything but criticise. Painful, painful! I loved the reference to Sara in there, and I think your rendition of Barin was very good, especially where he's quoting all those things and insulting her so poetically. "Nerf at rut!" Excellent.

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh Jane *blushes guiltily*

That was HaiGan's line about the "Nerf at rut" I couldn't think of anything anywhere near as good so I simply borrowed her line. I should have mentioned it before, now I feel so guilty [face_blush]

Rinin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kithera

P.S: A belated thanks to HaiGan for reading it over for me and helping me (constantly) with Barin.

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Kit, that was wonderful!

Juli sounds a bit of a rebel but the last thing she needs is a master like A'me.

Then she's got a thing of a guy that seems to be using the attention but purposely keeping her at arms length. Poor girl doesn't stand a chance.

10. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    It was fine, Kit! If you really, really want me to be picky then I could say there was a lot of smiling in it, and quite a lot of pouting, but that is poking holes. It was another enlightening peep into Juli's phyche. I just hope I do as well with Barin when I get to that point.

Okay, folks, this next one was a joint effort between Kit' and myself.

COME DANCE WITH ME

BY KITHERA RINANI AND HAI GAN

"Please Master?"

"No!" Adu-Reil said. Sara sighed again. Looking at the carpet, she began to scuff the edge of her boot into the carpet. "Stop that." Adu-Reil snapped sharply and turned back to the open flimsy in her lap. Sara grated her teeth together in frustration. She had only been Adu-Reil's padawan for a month and already she couldn't stand her. Half the time the old woman didn't even notice she was there, the other half she fussed and nagged over the state of Sara's room or the length of her hair. Now she wasn't letting Sara go out for the night. There was a knock at the door and Sara sighed as she went to open it. Her hands had almost totally healed and now she only wore thin gloves to prevent the new skin from being scratched and hurt.

"Hello Sara." Qui-Gon greeted her cheerfully as the door slid open but the look on his face fell as he regarded the sour look that Sara was wearing. "What's wrong?" He asked as he sidestepped through the door. Sara thumbed towards Master Adu-Reil's back and Qui-Gon frowned at her obvious show of disrespect.

"Master." Sara said ignoring his frown and then louder, "MASTER!"

"You don't have to shout," Adu-Reil said, looking at Sara sharply. She glanced at Qui-Gon and then peered even closer. "Oh, good evening Master Jinn."

"Good evening Master Grien," Qui-Gon said, and bowed. The ancient Master waved Qui-Gon to a seat and then frowned at Sara.

"My padawan and I seem to be having a disagreement." Adu-Reil said, "I don't think that she is old enough to go out by herself with a boy."

Qui-Gon frowned at Sara, his face thoughtful. "I don't think that it would be advisable either," he said, "you're far too young to be going out by yourself."

"But I'm not too young..." Sara started.

"...and she wouldn't be by herself," another voice said from the door. Sara smiled as she recognized Xanatos' quiet tones.

"Padawan?" Qui-Gon queried.

"I came to see where you were, Master," Xanatos said. "I was going to take Sara out with a bunch of other padawans from the temple, Master Grien."

"Oh, Xanatos," Master Adu-Reil said, peering at the padawan. "Well if /you/ are going-"

"Which he's not," Qui-Gon said. "Padawan, when did you clear this with me?"

"About a week ago Master." Xanatos said serenely. Both he and Sara watched as Qui-Gon sat deep in thought, then gave a sudden sigh.

"My apologies, Padawan, you did," he said after a moment.

"May I go then Master?" Sara asked beaming.

Adu-Reil waved a hand at her and Sara scooted into her bedroom to get her things, which she had already packed. She almost ran back into the lounge room, and was in time to hear Qui-Gon giving a whispered lecture to his padawan.

"Don't let her out of your sights. Don't abandon her. Here's some credits to pay for things. I'm not happy with this, Padawan, but as long as you promise to take care of her-"

"I will, Master," Xanatos said reassuringly, and smiled over his Master's shoulder at Sara. She smiled back more shyly, then bowed to her master and Qui-Gon and rushed out of the door before someone could call her back. Xanatos followed at a more sedate pace. Just as the padawan came out of the door Sara could hear Qui-Gon calling: "AND BE BACK BY TEN!"

Xanatos smiled at Sara as they walked down the hall to the lifts. Two figures were lounging nearby and they straightened as Xanatos sauntered up to them.

"Barin, Juli, this is Sara." Xanatos introduced the two figures to her. Barin had pale blonde hair and icy blue eyes that twinkled at Sara as he greeted her. Juli, however, raised one of her perfectly plucked black eyebrows and gave Sar

11. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    This is set two days after 'Come Dance With Me'. Finally, one I wrote all by myself!

TANGLED WEB

BY HAI GAN

"Lerrek!" Qui-Gon's cheerful greeting drew the attention of the tall Twi-Lek knight who was just entering the practice room with his padawan.

Xanatos put down the towels and clean tunics he was carrying and smiled at the new arrivals as he rejoined his master. "Good morning, Jedi Vaarn. Hi Barin."

"Qui-Gon, Xanatos." Lerrek gave Qui-Gon a polite bow. Barin mirrored the bow a fraction later, gave Xanatos a small smile, then went to drop his own bundle of towels and clothing, which he had tucked under one arm.

"Would you join us?" Qui-Gon invited.

Lerrek glanced towards his padawan, then bowed again. "I should be honoured," he replied gravely. "Would you care to indulge me in a little sparring, while the young ones practice together?"

Both pairs moved quickly into position. It was not the first time they had trained together. Qui-Gon and Lerrek were well suited as sparring partners, being of similar height and build and using closely related combat styles with the lightsaber. They toyed lightly with one another for a while, testing reactions and defences while keeping half an eye on their respective padawans.

The two younger Jedi were not so well matched physically. Xanatos was shorter than his master, but well grown with an athletic physique. His dark hair and deep blue eyes complemented his quietly handsome face. By comparison Barin was small, skinny and pale. Nevertheless each partner knew that the other was worthy of respect as a fighter, and their first moves were performed with caution.

Xanatos knew how to use his strength and greater reach. His style was elegant and controlled, just like that of his master. Barin's advantage lay in his speed, agility, and adaptability. He could change hands in the middle of a strike to wrong-foot his opponent, and he used his off-hand almost as well as the other. On this occasion, however, he kept to more conventional tactics and was not moving with his usual feline grace. Xanatos soon had him at a disadvantage, and not long afterwards managed to catch him off balance, sending the smaller padawan tumbling to the ground. Barin lay on his back for a moment, breathing hard.

"Oopsy. A little clumsy today, aren't we?" Xanatos asked, looking down at him. His voice was gently teasing, but his eyes were challenging and Barin glared back at him. Xanatos offered his friend a hand up. Barin looked down at his lightsaber, then ignored the offer and rolled back to his feet. Xanatos jumped back, expecting an attack, but Barin merely bowed somewhat stiffly and assumed a ready position, his glacier-blue gaze fixing intently on the other padawan.

"Like that is it?" Xanatos asked, his eyes narrowing and his body tensing.

"It is only a practice, Xan," Barin said quietly, his expression becoming guarded.

"Oh yes?" Xanatos shifted his lightsaber and faced his opponent again. "Let's see if you learned anything from that last mistake, then."

Xanatos was expecting the next round to be harder. He was almost surprised to find himself gaining the upper hand yet again. Barin's reactions were not quite as sharp as usual, and Xanatos was already familiar with his usual tricks. Just as Qui-Gon turned to call for a rest, Xanatos managed to unbalance his opponent and tipped Barin to the floor for a second time, his grin of success quickly stifled before his master could see it. Barin hit the mat with a thump and took several seconds to catch his breath.

"You're moving a little stiffly, Barin," Qui-Gon noted. "Is there a problem?"

Barin glanced at his master, then back at Qui-Gon. "Too much gymnastics practice, Master Jinn," he said, struggling back upright.

"My padawan's enthusiasm sometimes gets the better of him," added Lerrek, crossing to the young man and patting him on the shoulder.

Barin hunched slightly, looking at his feet, and Qui-Gon gave a sympathetic chuckle. "There are many masters who probably wish their padawans were ha

12. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    The post by the two of you was awesome. Giving us a wonderful peek into these characters.

Juli drove me crazy with her constant sniping, did she really think it would land her on Xani's good side to insult his chosen friend???

HaiGan, I remember your post making me hate Barin's master with a vengence.

Both were great and I look forward to more!! :) :)

13. Berit_Aysen

Berit_Aysen Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2000
    this is wonderful! great writing, both of you. im looking forward to more!

14. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    I hope I'm getting this in the right order. Another one by Kit'.

IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND

BY KITHERA RINANI

Sara grinned to herself as she opened her eyes. Today was her fifteenth birthday a day Master Ash-ka had normally found a unique way of celebrating. Her sunny mood disappeared for a moment as she remembered that Ash-Ka was no longer her Master. Sara swept the memory of Master Ash-Ka aside not letting it upset her sunny mood as she threw the coverlet off the bed and slid to her feet.

Dressing hastily, Sara bounced out of her room and towards the kitchen cheerfully. Master Adu-reil was already dressed and eating her breakfast as Sara bounced in.

?Morning Master.? Sara chirped happily. Adu-reil did not even glance up. Unperturbed Sara opened the fridge; on her twelfth birthday, Ash-ka had stocked the fridge with all Sara?s favourite thing and a large cake in the centre shelf.

Adu-reil?s fridge contained the usual array of food Sara picked up the milk container and sighed, her Master had forgotten to get milk or at least to throw the empty container away. Sara frowned to herself; nothing was going to get her down on her birthday.

?I?ve got to go Sara.? Adu-reil said standing up and pushing her chair out, Sara itched to remind her new master about her birthday but stopped. Adu-reil glanced at the calendar on the wall and then back at Sara.

?I almost forgot.? She said. Hope rose in Sara?s chest. ?Today?s laundry day, could you do it please?? the master finished. The girl nodded dumbly and tried to swallow back on tears as the door closed. Miserably she picked up her books noticing that if she ate in the cafeteria she would be late for her first class.

Sara sighed outside her door and let her bag thud to the floor as she keyed in the entrance code. She had had perhaps the most depressing birthday in her entire life. She had been late for her first class because the turbo lift had stuck and so the teacher had reprimanded her in front of everyone.

She had messed up an answer in maths and been told off for not concentrating. Just as she thought that nothing could get any worse, the two kids sitting beside her had passed a note through her, only problem was that Sara had been caught with the note and had been made to stand in the corner and stay after class.

Lunch had arrived unusually slowly and already late Sara had rushed down the stairs nearly tripping over the small figure of Master Yoda. The little green Jedi Master had made Sara stand in the corner as well and so by the time Sara had got to the cafeteria she had missed nearly half of lunch.

If things hadn?t been bad by then, they were about to get worse. There had been a few muted Happy birthday messages from her friends but none of their usual teasing and jokes. The table was deathly silent when she sat down and people looked at her in sympathy but didn?t say anything.

Finally, one of the girls had whispered that Juli had ordered all of them not to say happy birthday to her. She had really bitten down on her tongue and tears then, Juli was determined to wreck as much of Sara?s life as possible. Lunch had broken up silently and Sara had fled to the safety of Master Jinn?s light sabre classes, but he had been called away to the senate and Mace was teaching them instead.

That class had been moderately alright and Star Fighter repairs had been good too but her teacher for ?The modern history of the outer rim galaxies? had sprung a surprise test about the planet of Tullsia on them. Then it had taken her the whole afternoon to finish the laundry. The entire day had been an utter misery.

Sara finished keying in the code. Her last hope was that Master Adu-reil hadn?t really forgotten her birthday. The apartment was dark inside and Sara moved cautiously towards the light switch.

?Hello?? She called and then louder, ?Hello? Master??

She switched on the light in the kitchen and saw a note on the table. Hopefully she picked it up and opened it. But the hope died almost before it had been given wings.

~~"De

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    If only Xani wasn't....well I suppose Xani.

That was wonderful Kit, heart-achingly so.

Please may we have some more HaiGan...Kit???

16. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Damn that was sweet. I love two faced characters.

17. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Okay, this is the last one I've got finished with Xanatos as a padawan. I've got one more in progress and one more planned after that. I may post a few little snapshots with Xan and Barin as initiates, to tide you over after this. Kit', have you got anything to come?

THE LAST LESSON

BY HAI GAN

"Not a bad session," Barin remarked as he towelled himself off after lightsaber sparring practice with a few of the other padawans.

"You would say that," Juli responded coldly, as she blatantly admired Xanatos' half-stripped body. Her eyes flickered briefly across to Barin, and hesitated for a moment. Most people were surprised to find that despite his minimal bulk there was no lack of wiry sinew and lean muscle on the short young man's slender frame. After a thoughtful moment or two, Juli's attention returned to Xanatos, whose own muscles rippled suggestively as he rubbed himself down and reached for his fresh clothing- tantalising and annoyingly unavailable.

"Juli, you always try for that fancy forward lunge, you always over-extend yourself, and Barin invariably kicks your pert little behind as a result," said Xanatos, returning Juli's gaze with knowing superiority.

Sara felt a stab of jealousy at Xanatos' description of Juli, and did not miss the bitter but possessive way in which Juli was admiring him. She took a step closer to him. Xanatos grinned at her, and Juli's expression became even more sour than before.

"All Barin's strikes ought to count as below the belt," Juli said with malice. "He's too short to reach any higher."

"If your nose was not up in the air all the time you would see me coming," countered Barin smoothly, although his eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

"But then I'd have to put up with the smell," Juli said with disdain, flipping her hair back over her shoulder with an angry jerk of her head and abruptly turning away.

"Now now children. Less bickering," said Xanatos, fastening his belt around his tunic and draping his arm around Sara's shoulders.

"I never bicker," Barin replied imperturbably, maintaining his composure rather better than Juli. "I debate, you argue, she bickers."

Juli spun round. "So I lost, big deal. Where's your famous good manners, silver-tongue?" she demanded. "Two insults in less than a minute. Wouldn't your Master be pleased to hear you?"

Barin went very quiet. You could almost see the ice crystallising around him. Then he blinked, and smiled faintly. "My dear, when I choose to be insulting you can be sure it will be far more damaging than those minor remarks. I must offer my apologies, however. I forget how upsetting it is for you to be beaten by Sara as well for a change, instead of rubbing her nose in the dirt as you usually do."

"Why you-" Juli drew back a hand as if to slap him, then thought better of it.

"I do assure you that any lack of sympathy on that score is entirely intentional," Barin concluded. He gave a polite bow, but his attention never left Juli for a second.

Juli's eyes blazed. She glared at Barin, then at Xanatos with his arm tucked securely about Sara. Pain, jealously, hatred and a flicker of loneliness all passed across her features.

"You will have to admit defeat one day, Juli," Barin went on more gently, "and to learn not to take your feelings out on other people." He tilted his head and gave her a slightly shy, slightly teasing smile. "Will you let the fight rest for the moment, and accept the consolation prize?" He offered Juli his hand.

Juli stared at him, knocked off balance by his sudden switch from sneering superiority to a quiet appeal which was rather attractive. Barin took advantage of her hesitation to take her hand and slide it into the crook of his arm. She put up a token resistance, then leaned into him. Barin was not Xanatos, but he was someone who would pay attention to her, and make her feel wanted... she pushed away that thought. Barin was a means to stay close to her goal. She would make sure Sara was only a passing fancy, and then she would be there when the girl was go

18. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Ahh HaiGan,

Great snapshot! Very, very well written and beautiful in a way too.

I don't have any immediate ones, but I do have some planned for Xani and Sara.

Kithera

19. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I still don't understand why Barin is afraid that his master will send him away, unless he's more afraid of being denied his dream of becoming a Jedi than he is of his master's "lessons"? I'm really looking forward to reading the snapshot where Vaarn "disappears" forever.

20. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Maybe things will become a little clearer once I finally finish the two snapshots that come after that one, Jane. I'd better get writing, hadn't I?

21. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I almost feel like saying "YOu had better", but then I realise that that means that I have to start writing Xani and Sara sooner and I don't like the prospect of actually having to think -* looks at everyone giggling* I mean think of plot lines!

I wanna read!!!

Kithera

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Barin is full of incredbily complex emotions, ones that Lerrek takes full advantage of for his own twisted delight.

Awesome post HaiGan.

That post brought a thought to mind. Have any of the healers tried to assist Barin in sharpening/focusing his healing skills? Hint, hint. :)

23. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    You're all lovely, thank you (and hugs for those as like 'em) for your nice comments. Just the thing to make me want to write more. :)

Sharpening Barin's healing skills, Leona? Well eventually he ends up as a midwife... but that's a long way off and a very long story!

A little interlude of sorts- I'm going to post my initiate snapshots while I'm finishing off my last padawan snapshots. There'll be a couple of new ones that weren't on the 'Jedi Snapshots' thread, too!

FRIENDS

A young Creche assistant led the black-haired little boy out of the nursery, towards the dormitories for the older Initiates. She carried a small, plain duffelbag with the boy's few posessions- clothes, toiletries and a datapad. He held her hand tightly as he tagged along beside her.

"There's no need to be nervous, Xani. I'm sure you'll soon make lots of new friends."

The boy looked up at her, his deep blue eyes trusting and his solemn little face perfectly calm. "I like making friends," he said.

"That's a good boy. Here we are, this is where you'll be staying now that you're a /big/ boy."

The assistant led the boy into a large common-room, the blue-carpeted floor branching away on three sides into passages leading to dormitories. Sturdy, low tables were placed around the room, stacked with holobooks, construction kits, puzzles and games. Cusions were scattered around, for sitting on. The boy took it all in: quiet, observant, thoughtful.

A group of children were playing in the clear space in the middle of the room, acting out a fantasy of castles, princesses and dashing knights. Building-blocks and datapads became gleaming towers, flying flimsyplast flags snapping in an imaginary wind. The smallest of them held center stage, spinning stories about their make-believe, creating images with words. His archaic language sounded so right that the others' modern chatter became out of place. He gave no orders; the others willingly embraced the roles he painted for them, and in their minds they became poor but beautiful maidens, brave and handsome princes, just and dignified kings. He was the bright center around which the others turned, a child of sun-gold hair and sky-blue eyes, with a head full of fanciful dreams and the enthusiasm to carry everybody else along for the journey.

The new boy watched it all with his shadowed, thoughtful gaze.

The older children spotted the newcomer and came tumbling over to gawp, staring with the open emotions of the young. The new boy could see straight away which ones were shy, which ones were boisterous, which ones were caring, which ones liked to take control. He saw the way the smallest initiate stood in the center of them all, quiet and confident, drinking deeply of every little experience. The new boy studied him carefully for a few moments, then smiled. His deep blue eyes shone so brightly with trust and appeal that the golden-haired initiate never saw past the sparkle.

"I'm Xanatos. Can I be your friend?" the new boy asked.

The golden-haired boy gave one of his sunshine smiles in return. "Of course!" He swept a bow. "Greetings, oh Xanatos. My name is Barin. You can play our game, if you like. You can be..." his sky-blue eyes looked into the mists of his mind. "You can be Lord Telesian, Protector of the Deep Lands."

Xanatos nodded with satisfaction. "Yes. I'd like that."

24. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    I renamed this one from its previous appearance. Next up will be a new one!

FEELINGS

"Quieten down now children!"

The Cheche Assistant's request went unheard over the initiates' shouts and laughter. A wash of youngsters split as it reached her and rejoined on the other side, then broke up into smaller clumps as one of the number lunged forwards, arm outstretched.

"Tig!"

The flow of running children suddenly altered direction and hurtled in the opposite direction, clambering over tables and sending toys flying.

"Children, please!"

The assistant was close to tears. She shouldn't have been alone with so many. She had only started a week ago. Surely Jedi Initiates shouldn't be so boisterous? She tried to release her tension into the Force and project calming waves at the youngsters, but it was hard with the noise and the chaos, and she didn't dare close her eyes to help herself concentrate. Things were out of control as it was.

The river of hurtling bodies turned again, dashing along the wall with shrieks and screams. One golden-haired youngster braked against the tide, stopped and looked at the assistant, his sky-blue eyes oddly older than his years.

"Why are you scared?" he asked, taking a step closer. The assistant didn't know what to say. She was inexperienced, but she was a knight. She knew she wasn't displaying any of her inner disquiet, but this boy had obviously sensed it anyway. The initiate hovered a short distance away from her, his face reflecting childish concern.

"Somebody's going to get hurt," she blurted, as one of the tables was sent flying.

The initate went white. "Somebody did get hurt," he said, his own face screwing up with every indication of pain. "Everyone SHUT UP!" he yelled. A confused hush fell over the crowd of children, broken by short, scared, pained cries. The golden-haired youngster limped over to the fallen table and pulled it aside. He knelt on the ground beside the small figure that had been beneath the table, then looked back at the young assistant in an agonised plea. "He is hurting. Please make him stop hurting!"

Fighting her own guilt at having allowed this to happen, the assistant hurried over. One look was enough to show her that she needed to contact the infirmary. It was her fault, she let herself lose command of the situation. She felt close to tears as she hurried to find a holoterminal.

The golden-haired boy watched her scurry away then sat down and buried his head in his knees, one hand resting on the injured initiate who was crying in snatched bursts between gulps of air. He rocked backwards and forwards, giving the occasional small wimper. After a moment or two another boy crept forward, this one dark-haired and dark-eyed. He sat down next to the golden-haired boy and put his arm around him.

"It's okay, Barin, the Healers will help him."

"He hurts!"

"They'll make him better."

"But he hurts! How do I make him stop hurting? He hurts, Xan!"

Xanatos nodded and simply sat there, one arm around his friend as he gave silent support.

The Healer breezed in with an air of reassurance and competence, a dumpy, six-eyed, six-armed miniature mountain of orange fur. His blue-skinned, humanoid padawan puffed along after him, carrying a large medical bag. The children were quiet now, with the whispering almost-silence of worry and slight fear. There was little need to ask where the patient was. One small boy lay on the ground beside the overturned table. A second was huddled beside him, face pale and tears streaking his cheeks, a third boy offering what reassurance he could.

"Two hurt are?" Healer Fliese asked in a sing-song voice as he waddled across to the accident scene. "Say one you do?" he queried, glancing over to the Creche Assistant.

"Make him stop hurting, please," whispered the white-faced Barin.

The Healer chittered at him with surprise, one arm reaching to open his bag, a second delving inside to get out a portable medscanner, third and fourth probing gently at his patient, fifth scratching idly a

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    A midwife??? Very intriguing HaiGan...very!! :)

Here we see the very beginnings. :) Excellent post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.