Xanatos Underground Lair: Discussion Thread -New topic 4/26!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by fallen_one, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Birdy, I don't think we really know how Crion died other than Jinn killed him. It might not have been in cold blood. That is Xan's assumption...
  2. LuvEwan Jedi Master

star 4
    Aren't Jedi only allowed to kill in self-defense, or to defend someone else? I thought Crion was coming after Qui-Gon and that was why Qui-Gon did it. Of course Xanatos would end up thinking that Qui-Gon killed him out of jealousy and anger no matter how it went down.

I also think that Xan's crimes were not as strong as Anakins against the Jedi.

Not at all. And I agree that neither of them should have been Jedi. The dedication just wasn't there.
  3. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought Crion was unarmed. (I could be mixing canon and fanon) He could have cut his arms off or used the Force to restrain him. Hell, even if he was wired with a bunch of explosives he could have disabled them with a flick of the force.

He could have deflected the shot if he was coming after him with a blaster. And if he was such a criminal, the Jedi would have wanted to have the senate try him.
  4. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think you're mixing up canon with fanon. I don't think there is anything in the books about why Qui-Gon killed Crion or really how it was done. I could be wrong - but I can't get to the books right now...

I would agree that Qui-Gon probably should have disarmed him (if he was armed) but there are a thousand ways that Qui-Gon could have killed him (or not prevented his death) that Xan might misinterpret.
  5. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    I tried to google Xan but the first four results were links to you diane, the next two where Xan from the hellschancecantina, and the next was Adair. Then I realized I left the last name on when I googled it. [face_oops]

So why did Jinn cut off Crions finger then?
  6. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That is funny on the google search. When I typed in Xanatos, I didn't get anything by me at all... But keep in mind that I've never written as Diane as an author (it's always been dianethx or my full name). Apparently someone else is writing under Diane.

I think Xan cut the father's finger off - maybe - I'm not sure. I would have thought Xan would have done that to get Crion's ring.... If Jinn did it, I wouldn't know why. I don't think Jedi take body parts as trophies... at least lightside Jedi.

Edit: in the google search, it does say that Qui-Gon cut off Crion's finger.

Rather gruesome that. I don't know why...

Edit 2: From SW.com
    Qui-Gon Jinn was long hesitant to take on a Padawan learner, given his failure with his second student. Xanatos was the son of Crion, the wealthiest man on the planet Telos. He had a very high midi-chlorian count in his bloodstream, prompting Jinn to take him as an apprentice. Crion reluctantly agreed to let his son leave for Jedi training.
    Although Xanatos' talents were undeniable, his high birth and attitude often led to clashes with his fellow students. For Xanatos' final test, Jedi Master Yoda sent him and Qui-Gon back to Telos, where a civil war was brewing. Xanatos' father implored his son to join his forces in a bid to control the planet. Xanatos agreed and Qui-Gon found himself at war with his own student. Jinn was forced to kill Crion in battle, and an enraged Xanatos battled his mentor. Though Qui-Gon defeated Xanatos, he could not bear to kill his own Padawan. The defeated student fled and Qui-Gon obsessed over his failure for years, dismissing his earlier successes as a teacher and often referring to Xanatos as his "first" apprentice.

Although he vowed to never again train a Padawan, Qui-Gon eventually formed a connection with an adolescent Obi-Wan Kenobi on a mission to Bandomeer. Yoda wished for Obi-Wan to become Qui-Gon's third apprentice. Eventually, Qui-Gon was able to overcome his grief, and took Kenobi as his Padawan. The path was by no means smooth, as their relationship suffered when Obi-Wan briefly abandoned the Jedi Order to help end a civil war on Melida/Daan. Eventually, and uneasily, the two reunited. They would grow to become a formidable team.

This also says that Qui-Gon had a student before Xan...
  7. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    Google Xanatos deCrion and see what turns up.

But I thought that Jinn walked away and didn't fight Xan. You'd think that someone on the thread would have the books.

Assuming at mimimum there are a minimum of 13 years between Xan and Obi (assuming he was 23 at the time and Obi was ten and only three years passed instead between this and Obi being chosen as a padawan) and 15 years between Xan and his sibling padawan (being knighted at a normal age maybe) and giving QGJ a year to find Xan and that QGJ was 25 when he took his first padawan (allowing for him to be knighted at a young age of 23 or so) That puts QGJ at 65 at the begining of TPM at the youngest.

This is why I live in the fanon world.
  8. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I have the books. I just can't reach them right now with the broken leg...LOL.

As for the padawan, who knows? Maybe he trained someone whose master had died so the training time wasn't long. Plus he was around 60 when he died...

Don't you just love timelines?:rolleyes:
  9. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    We have the books. I'll see if I can find the right one and read up on it.
  10. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    ..Xanatos urged him to fight instead. They hired an army to put down the rebellion and stay in power. Civil war broke out. Suddenly, people were dying. The situation was out of my control. And all because I did not see clearly what Xanatos was capable of."

Qui-Gon gripped the controls of the boat. "Xanatos led the army. The last battle was fought at the governor's quarters. Crion was killed."

Qui-Gon paused, his expression grim. "I killed him," he said solemnly "In front of his son I dealt the killing blow. My lightsaber sliced through the ring on Crion's finger. As he lay dying, Xanatos picked it up from the fire where it had fallen. He pressed the hot metal to his cheek. I can still hear the sound of the burn. You can still see the scar."

"A broken circle," Obi-Wan said.

No clear explanation of what happened. So Jinn. :rolleyes: I believe this copy is a fraud. I remember Obi's words being vastly different the first time I read it. The correct dialogue is..

"You murderer! No wonder Xan hates you. I hate you too! Let me out of this boat so I can go to him!" [face_love]
  11. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    So why did Xan urge him to fight?

Maybe he knew something QGJ didn't. Like, maybe the sentate was corrupt and would be worse for Telos than his father. And his father seemed to be doing well as a governer for many years before this.

How do we know that QGJ didn't cause him to go insane when he took Xan away from the Jedi? And maybe Xan really didnt' want to leave Telos. And if Xan was leading the army, then he'd be a clear military target, but it still would have been better for him to have captured Crion.

12. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    LOL. I would think it more likely that Obi would have said that if Xan hadn't sent him to the deep sea platforms in the first place.... You are so funny, OE.

Thanks for the rest of the quote though...

Birdy, I guess we will never know what really happened. Sort of POV thing again.
  13. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    Because he was hungry for power? He wanted the riches and power his father promised him. He wanted to provide the love of his life with every nicety. He did it all for the nookie. Or in this case the Ibo. :p
  14. Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Master

star 4
    Does Granta Omega ever offer proof that he's the son of Xan? Like hard DNA evidence? Because I'd think xan would be too much of a control freak to not know that his son existed, or prehaps, he took measures to ensure that he'd never have a child.
  15. Neon Star Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Granta actually never does. Obi-wan merely accepts it as fact when faced with the very very strong similarities between Granta and Xanatos, and the other such details that pointed to that. Xan knew about Granta, and used him him to exact his revenge after 'death'. He left him Offworld and his wealth, hide him and his mother away on some out of the way pit stop, to protect them from either the Jedi or something else, and arranged for a 'friend' to take care of the boy and make sure he had a proper education. Also, Granta knew a lot about life inside the Temple, which he couldn't have found out about unless he had either turned a Jedi to his cause, as Obi-wan had feared at first, or as he claims. his father told him.
  16. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5

I was going to say that Granta would've been awful young to remember much about his father but then I got to thinking. Granta is about two years younger than Obi and Obi was 14? when Xan went off to the pleasure planet which would make Granta 11 at least. Guess he did have enough time for Xan to brainwash him against the Jedi. It also means he was old enough to really be impacted by Xan's death. I mean Xan's fleeing. ;)
  17. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    "You murderer! No wonder Xan hates you. I hate you too! Let me out of this boat so I can go to him!"

I think we read the same book! :p [face_devil]
  18. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    So why was I under the impression that Xan never knew about his son?
  19. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    Maybe you're thinking about my Redemption Series? :confused:
  20. Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Master

star 4
    No, I think I thought that the woman kept the child hidden from Xan when he was born...or that Xan sent him away for protection?
  21. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    Xan did send the kid and his mother away at one point to keep them safe. I don't think it was until close to the time he was killed though, so he must have spent enough time with Granta to warp his thinking. Or maybe Sano or whatever his name was did it. It's been too long since I read the JG books to remember exactly. I do remember that Xan was disappointed that Granta wasn't Force sensitive.
  22. Neon Star Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmm, this thought just crossed my mind while I was looking over the 'When was X born and how old was s/he in Y?' thread, and it brought to mind what you said earlier about the possible fact that Granta was two years younger then Obi, o_e.

Taking into account that the thread might be right on Xanatos's birth, I realized that if he had been born in 74 BSW4, and Granta born in 55 BSW4, Xanatos would have been nineteen when he fathered Granta.

That's a bit odd, if Xanatos indeed left the Order at twenty five, or somewhere in his early twenties. Granta could have been born later, of course. Or, it could be possible that Xanatos had a fling (or a few), during his apprenticeship, and didn't find out about Granta until after he had left the Jedi. It could account for some of the coldness usually associated with Xanatos's relationship with his son.

Or maybe I'm just bored and too obessed. Or college has scrambled my brains and I'm thinking this all wrong. :p
  23. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5

Some of us had discussed this once. I could see Xan having sexual encounters while he was still with the Jedi. It seems to fit with what little we know about him. :*
  24. Neon Star Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Heh, the things that I have missed then. I really need to go back and read through the thread.

Well, I guess that leads to wondering if Granta was a mistake or not, as I seriously doubt Xan was thinking of revenge or even of leaving at nineteen. Though, Xanatos seems too intelligent to make such a mistake. Yet, if it was indeed a mistake, I wonder if Granta was his only child.

Edit: Though, admittedly, Xanatos isn't perfect, as he was young. So, indeed, it could be possible that Granta was his first and only mistake in that matter.
  25. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't think it was here we discussed it. ;)

Hummm. If he was only 19 when Granta was conceived I would think it was a opps! He was probably not even thinking about the consequences, thinking he'd never see the woman again. Like you mentioned, maybe that on top of the fact that Granta was a void, caused Xan to distance himself from the kid. He seems like the type of snob who'd look down on a child born out of wedlock.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.