main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xanatos Underground Lair: Discussion Thread -New topic 4/26!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by fallen_one, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I'm curious about the woman that he got his son from. Don't really hear much about her. Juz about Xan. *snrk* shame on you teasing oe like that JadeSolo!! hehehehe

But isn't he nifty? Omega was coooool and evil! Poor Obi... chasing that guy all around and it took the kid to tell him who he was. *Tsk* *Tsk* Right in front of your face all along Obi! ;)

I can't wait for the final book!! And that sucks that it will be the final... it's less amount that JA was. :_|

2. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Bad Jade!! [face_shame_on_you]

? Omega was coooool and evil! [face_plain]

Kynstar my dear I have to disagree with you. I think Omega is just Xan reborn. He's a plot device to drive a wedge between Obi and Anakin and to make Obi-Wan look weak. He has no redeeming qualities and his motives are very weak. One would think she would have learned her lesson with Xan. I refuse to even label him as a Xanitot ! [face_not_talking]

I told you not to get me started! :p

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I have to agree with OE. Omega is just a plot device and not a very good one. I want evil, not some slippery guy that lurks in the shadows.

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    LOL, and all his whining and ranting about how he didn't have any Force potential. A child of Xanatos would never whine! He would figure out how to get around the issue...and then he would get even. [face_devil] I think the name is the worst part. Guerra/Paxxi/Terra was a cute play on war/peace/earth, but Granta Omega? Now that's just being TOO obvious. Omega - the last! Oooooh, how clever... *shakes head*

Though it is interesting that we never really find out who the mother was. [face_thinking] Or did we? I didn't really give those books a thorough reading. :p

5. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    All we learn about her is that Xan hides them on a moon and when he dies they're stranded there. Xan wasn't very pleased that his son wasn't Force sensitive. :(

6. Ashes

Ashes Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2003
    I don't think Xan would reject his only heir like that even if the kid was not force-sensitive...at least not until he had another heir.

7. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, I have finally decided to join the discussion, scary eh'? ;) Be mindful, half of this may not make sense, but then, I hit my head pretty hard yesterday, and I don't think my brain has settled back into place yet. ;) Also, I'll probably be restating a lot, and I am truely sorry in advance.

On Watson's: The Jedi let strong force sensitives go if not chosen and if a Jedi wants to leave, they don't keep track of them theory. I ignore it, and I think it a rather sad plot device. The Jedi would not be so stupid as to let children they have taken from families just be shoved into some work program somewhere, that would risk dark sider resurgance, and it would be a waste of resource, when the Jedi are so few to begin with. As to those who have left willingly, such as Xan, I would think that as long as they don't make a disturbance, and left honorably, the Jedi leave them be. In Xanatos's case, however, he left dishonorably, therefore they should have kept track of him, to some extent, to monitor how great a threat he was. Its sad, how huge her plot holes are. :p

Xanatos: Redemption or not?: Heh, actually I agree with that he would not want it, because in his own view, he hasn't done anything wrong, as was stated. Xan strikes me as one of those that lives by the 'strong rules the weak' code, he is merely surviving, in his own mind. Of course, surviving means fullfilling a revenge that doesn't make much sense by Watson's definition... But Xan seems a lot like Qui in this regard, he follows his own thoughts and emotions, which would include his view to survival, he has just taken a more direct, and violent approach to doing it, while Qui-gon takes a more passive resistance, to keep from being chained to something he cannot or will not believe in. Though, by theory, I think Xanatos knew at a certain age that he could not, and would not become a Jedi Knight, so he doesn't think himself wrong in moving with his destiny, or at least, the destiny he thinks he belongs to.

On Xanatos being a loner and whatnot, I am probably going to restate, so forgive me. He probably was, as most kids with potential are. I've noticed that yes, their brillance tends to set them apart, yet on occassion, they find a close friend or two, kind of a 'keep yourself sane' deal. I think Xanatos had that as well. He probably didn't feel completly understood, yet during all those years at the temple, I don't think he stood alone, or with just a group of followers. Qui-gon, (despite the fact that I love him dearly ;) ) Couldn't constantly be Xan's place to unload, so there had to be another source, elsewise, the frustrations he would have to face would be too much for him alone, no matter how strong emotionally he is.

On to his 'kid': I was finally tempted into getting JQ, just to see about this.... (Does not have a word that is JC friendly to describe him....) Granta Omega.

I have to agree, rather weak, pathetic, though that void thing is rather intresting, but that could be because I stole it for Damon. ;) Else wise, you can't even say he hits Watson's Xan's level. I don't know, he has an ounce of potential in him, his motives could be revamped into better things, and his personality could use one while we're at it... One of the big issues is it bothers me a bit that he doesn't get it that Xanatos took his own life. I would figure he would know the truth in that, and praise his father for giving in to death before Jedi justice, instead of Watson's use of the cliche and boring 'You killed my father, prepare to die.' :p

Edit: On Xanatos's treatment of said child. I think that also rather off character of Xan, even Watson's Xan. Yes, Xanatos would probably use his only child as a way to carry on his revenge legacy if he was not, but he wouldn't have done so in the way Watson has dreamed up. Yet, I also think Xan would be a great father too so.... My views as a writer really make judgement rather hard.... I just know her view is wrong.

8. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I just know her view is wrong.

I think Neon said it best. :D Can we make this our motto, along with "Xanman Rules!"?

I think he would've been a good father, in that he would have done a lot for his son. Ignoring JW's storyline, he probably wanted his son to take over Offworld someday, so he would've groomed the Xanitot in that respect. But I think Xan would also show the love and affection that he thought he was getting from his own father Crion. And at some point, he had to have experienced a Xanigon moment, so he knows how warm and happy those fuzzies can make him. He would've wanted his son to feel that.

And the thing about Granta not having Force powers - I don't think Xan would've shunned him for that reason. Nowhere in the JA books, as far as I can recall, does Xan go, "Ohhahahahaha, my Force powers are infinitely greater than yours, weakling Jedi!" In fact, I can't really remember him using his Force powers all that much. He seemed to use his intelligence more. So why would he flip out over his son not having Force powers? "Oh, darn, I can't send my kid to the Temple and create chaos from within!" [face_plain]

cliche and boring 'You killed my father, prepare to die.'

LMAO, yeah, somehow "Hello. My name is Granta Omega" just doesn't flow as well as "Inigo Montoya."

9. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Yeah! Neon's here! =D= Had to laugh about not being able to find a board friendly word to use to describe Granta! [face_laugh] I also thought the whole void thing was really a neat twist. I'll give her credit for that one. ;)

And the thing about Granta not having Force powers - I don't think Xan would've shunned him for that reason. Nowhere in the JA books, as far as I can recall, does Xan go, "Ohhahahahaha, my Force powers are infinitely greater than yours, weakling Jedi!" In fact, I can't really remember him using his Force powers all that much. He seemed to use his intelligence more. So why would he flip out over his son not having Force powers? "Oh, darn, I can't send my kid to the Temple and create chaos from within!"

:eek:

Good answer Jade! Out of all the Jedi we read about, Xan did seem like the one who used his powers the least. Kinda :cool: he was so smart he didn't have to fall back on them much. I could maybe see him keeping Granta by his side and gradually building up the kids hate for the Jedi. And why was he hiding them anyway? Who was he hiding them from? The Jedi had no clue even where to find Xan so why would they know anything about the kid let alone care?

:rolleyes: Yup! You could drive an Imperial StarDestroyer through them there plot holes!

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, but those plot holes are soooo much fun to ridicule!!! :D

Let's face it. There are tons of them in her books. I think that's why I keep trying to write in the JA universe - I'm always trying to fix things!

11. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    hehehehhe Princess Bride favorite quote of mine too!!! 'You killed my father, prepare to die.'

hehehe love that movie! And it's amazing how sooo much from it and those other spoofs like Monty Python and the Holy Grail and like Spaceballs: the Movie man gotta love them!!

I don't know... Granta acts sorta like a spoiled brat... and I STILL can't see how Obi missed all those clues. But then again his mind was on other things and he did get a lil on the ole vengeful trip there somewhat on trying to bring his butt in.

12. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Yeah Obi really got his knickers in a bunch over old Granta. Wonder how much of that was carry over from the terror Xan made him go through?

13. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I have never been interested in the Jedi Quest books. I dislike the idea of Obi/Ani's relationship so soon after he was knighted therefore I don't read a whole lot about it.

On the subject of JA's plot devices. Yep there are a whole slew of them. I think they were just discussing in the Melida/Daan thread about why Obi would even be able to still Be in the Jedi order after betraying his master and helping destroy peace that they were supposed to be negotiating.. Dunno though.

Granta Omega? Oh boy now there's a dramatic name :p Somehow I don't think Xanatos would've been as silly as to name his son something like that but then he took a swan dive into an acid pool didn't he? :p Ah well. At least according to her, he did :p

I agree with Diane that's why I like to write JA ;) Fix Watson's booboos...

14. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Like Layren, I also never got into the JQ books. Something about the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship startled me, not to mention I didn't want to read Watson's view of Anakin's apprenticeship. Also, I didn't find the prospect of intruding on Anakin's thoughts all too fun. :p

Granta Omega

Oye, oye, major ewww. At least Xanatos is a cool name. Granta Omega, honestly. *eyeroll*

Moving on... thoughts aren't exactly going to be productive or insightful at all. School starts in a day, and I'm mostly "blah" on all things at the moment. ;)

Xanatos on fatherhood: I've got to admitt, the idea does seem rather cool, no? From what I'm reading, I guess Granta Omega was a Gary Stu to some extent. Darn. An Xanatos kid would defintely be a hightlight. But no, Watson, you had to write it wrong!

And moving on again...

Challenge! Mush... oh, dear. I'm in trouble.

-Krystal

15. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Well Granta Omega is one of his alias. He has a few. I can't remember if they ever devulge his true name. I've read the JQ books several times and currently reading them to my pup. We got thru with the JA (he demanded them to be read twice... hehehe a couple of chapters each night) and doing JQ now. We're at book #7 or is it #8? *snrk* oh well all I know is that there are only a couple left... which blows. Cuz I mean at least there were more than 15 JA and she ain't even gonna do more than 10?? Oh well... guess she's getting burnt out. Though I wish she'd write adult ones ;) or SOMEBODY or ANYBODY! hehehe ;)

Xan on fatherhood would be a sweet thing. Makes you wonder if it changed him or not... guess not since he plunged himself to his own death. My question is... there wasn't much time between Xan leaving and dying. Soooo how did 'Granta Omega' know about his dad... couldn't have been from 'daddy' that's for sure. Word of mouth from people and mum I take it. Hrmmm oh well. The dude that brought Obi up on charge for supposedly murdering Bruck was the man who helped Xan's kid out. (that Senator guy...ack can't remember his name)

But yeah... a fic or two with Xan being a dad could be cool. I remember reading one in the challenge ;) that was sweet and chilling about asking the kid if he'd do whatever he said even if it was wrong! ;) [face_blush] shame on me not remember who wrote that and what the title of the viggie was. I'm such a :oops: when it comes to names!

16. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    That was OE, writing about her OC Desimir. My Des, when he was just a wee laddie. [face_love]

Hey, I think we should have a Daddy Xan challenge. As well as a "whatever happened between Xan and Omega's mom?" challenge, i.e. what kind of woman would sleep with Xan?

[face_mischief]

edit: I can just see OE, waving her limbs about madly. [face_laugh]

17. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Thank you JadeSolo!! I feel such a ham not remembering that too! It was such a sweet one! ;)

Ohhhh that would be a cool challenge! Hehehe seeing who would sleep with Xan, hehehehe

18. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    And Kynstar's memory lapse can now place her among the old ladies of the thread ... do you use a hoverchair, walker, or cane, Kyn? :p

I haven't read JQ yet, so I'm a bit behind on the Granta Omega kida thinga. What is this "void" thing you guys mentioned?

19. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    do you use a hoverchair, walker, or cane, Kyn?

The smart cookie that she is, she probably uses all three simultaneously. ;)

The challenge sounds...well, challenging. :) I've never attempted Xanigon mush. I'd be a lot easier if they could just yell at each and throw darts. [face_devil]

20. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I can just see OE, waving her limbs about madly [face_batting] :* [face_blush]

You bet your sweet bippy! :D

More replies when I get home for lunch. Omega was a void, which Anakin describes as a person who can mask their presence. I'd have to look up the exact description. I sent it to Neon, maybe she'll pop in with it.

21. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Heh, but do you know how far back that was when you sent it to me, o_e? ;) Though, did find it.

He was what was known as a "void", a being who could neutralize his appearance and aura so completely that those that met him could not recall what he looked like.

22. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    And Kynstar's memory lapse can now place her among the old ladies of the thread ... do you use a hoverchair, walker, or cane, Kyn?

*SNRK!* Oh my goodness HHP! hehehehehe I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or a jibe! ;) hehehehe

All 3 simultaneously? Oh my! Nahhhh if I had my choice I'll use a gimmer stick like Yoda ;) being 5'2 I'm quite short enough juz about! hehehehehe

Neon got it before I could post it! hehehe About Omega's 'aura' rather. Yep he might not be 'Force-sensitive' but he has like a 'negative' affect on folks, which I think is a pretty good and nifty thing. Don't see too many 'voids' in the Force especially since the Force is IN all living things. That does pose an interesting concept, doesn't it? ;)

23. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

The challenge sounds...well, challenging. happy I've never attempted Xanigon mush. I'd be a lot easier if they could just yell at each and throw darts.

Now LE that's not a Jedilike attitude ;) Besides I thought you liked mush :p Being the Qui fan that I am I've never written Xanigon mush either. Or Xanatos period for that matter which is kind of surprising. Hopefully this challenge will help me flesh him out some ;)

24. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I've written my response to the challenge :D and when it's been betaed (which it has to be because I'm sure you don't want to put up with all my mistakes), then I just have to send it to OE? Or is there already a thread?

25. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Actually Indra, there will be a thread over on the Before board where you just put it up, like the Obi thread on Saga. I'm not sure when it will be up for sure, I'll PM Neon about it again. One of us should be able to get it going sometime today. :)

This first challenge wouldn't nevessarily have to be real mushy. :p I just said it needs to reflect their relationship before it went bad. Maybe they had a friendly but distant relationship. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.