main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xanatos Underground Lair: Discussion Thread -New topic 4/26!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by fallen_one, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002

You mean that isn't what happened? :(

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    [face_laugh] You are so funny, OE. Although that would make a great story....

3. DaSmowenator

DaSmowenator Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2006
    This thread seems to have ended a while ago, but i wanted to know: does anyone know what Xanatos' last name is? I can't remember ever seeing it in the books. I thought perhaps it was Omega because his that's his son's last name, but i'm not really sure...

4. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Xan was never given a last name in the books. People just make up one for him. :)

5. DaSmowenator

DaSmowenator Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2006
    Well.... is there a certain name that is most commonly givin to him? Or is any name as good as the next? If so, I guess i'd be as good off using Omega cause at least that's a real possible one

6. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Any is good. I've always used deCrion meaning *of Crion*. I've seen TuCrion, Chiyari is one used by slash writer Susan Anthony. I've also seen people use Japanese names. Omega would work if you don't want to make one up or search for one with some meaning. :)

7. QueenOfOutrage

QueenOfOutrage Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006
    Um, hi. Does anyone post here anymore?

8. master_jade

master_jade Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2006
    No, apparently not... which is a lie, since I'm doing it right now...;)

9. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Most of the regular Xan lovers have taken their obsession with Mr Tall Dark and Lucious to various other web sites. ;)

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I need a little background info and I was hoping to save some time and not have to dig up the early JA books. What is the basic physical description for Xanatos? Thin, black hair, medium height? Is that it? What is his eye color? I'm thinking blue. Broken circle scar on his cheek (left or right?)....unless you're writing an AU. [face_whistling]

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Straight ebony black hair, thin but muscular, broken circle on right cheek, piercing blue eyes. Wookiepedia says that he's a devotee of Ataru fighting style. I believe he is shorter than Qui-Gon (who isn't? :p ) but taller than a grownup Obi-Wan.

He's a really interesting character to write. I've seen him written every way from villian to misunderstood hero. I know I like to write him as villian because he does it so well plus it's book-canon but I can see it working many ways.

12. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Like dianthex said, blue eyes (I've heard them described as exotically as they tend to describe Obi-Wan's) dark black hair, broken circle scar on right check, tall (just short of Qui-Gon I thought.)

I prefer him as a little less dark than he's shown in the books. He seems somewhat one sided there and that doesn't seem realistic to me.

If I may ask, are you posting a fic with him as the main (or supporting) character?

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, I got out JA#2 after all and I found 'dark blue eyes' on page 21 and 'midnight-blue eyes' on page 22. Hmmmmm, are Xanatos's eyes darker than Qui-Gon's? Liam Neeson has blue eyes that could not be mistaken for another color, unlike Ewan McGregor's which might be blue or gray or greenish depending on the light.

Oh, I'm just turning over an idea for a short AU. [face_whistling] And, yes, the portrayal of him in the JA books is a bit one-sided, necessitating a little more application of AU than I thought. On page 70 of JA#2:

Xanatos began to circle around him. "We were friends at the end, more than just Master and apprentice."

"Yes," Qui-Gon said, tracking him, moving with him. "We were."

But then I find it a little hard to believe that Qui-Gon could miss Xanatos casually causing an accident that caused another person's death on their way to Telos. Even Qui-Gon isn't quite that dim. You never get to see the Xanatos who was friends with Qui-Gon in the JA books. You at least got to see times when Obi-Wan and Anakin were friends and worked well together in ROTS.

I tend to attribute the linear portrayal of some supporting characters in the JA books to the simpler format and writing style. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan do have some depth and tension between them, which helps carry the stories.

14. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I'd like to read it if you do post it. There seem to be very few stories with Xan in them on the boards.

I do agree that the JA books are written for a younger audience and therefore have a simpler format and style than the Star Wars novels. Minor or supporting character development probably wasn't priority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.