main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xanatos Underground Lair: Discussion Thread -New topic 4/26!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by fallen_one, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    What? It doesn't have to be mushy? :eek: And I looked so hard for a reason. :D

But if it isn't mushy, then what is the challenge? :p

Thanks, OE. :)

2. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I personally think it was a very mushy type relationship, but that's just me. ;) Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. I'm really excited since there are few to none fics about this part of Jinn's background. [face_dancing]

And Jade I got so distracted by that last comment I forget to reply to your suggestions for challenges. :p I like both ideas.

And yahoo!! We hit 100 already!!! =D=

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I feel stupid, but I guess my old eyes are just finally failing me. Um, what page is the challenge on? Ducks the projectiles coming her way for her stupidity...

4. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Write a post showing Padawan Xanatos and Master Qui-Gon's relationship before it went sour. Xan can be any age but it has to reflect the love and affection they felt for one another in the beginning.

I think its on page three but here it is again. :)

5. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    The challenge is on page 3. Don't worry, I have that problem constantly. :D

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Yeah, but I'm getting old and now every time I can't find something or forget something my family is kind enough to remind me of my ancient status.

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    No comment. [face_laugh]

8. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Oh, come one. You're not that old, I looked in your profile. Although my math teacher once said that from the age of 18 everything just goes downhill. :D

9. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    She's older than OE, but younger than diane. Life isn't all that bad for her. :D

And hey, 18?!?! That means I'm...I'm...old? :_|

Remember (if you can :p ) when you were 10, and you thought 18 was soooo old and grownup? Oy, 18 wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Okay, now I really sound like a geezer. :p

10. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    The mother of my best friend told him when he was 6 years old that the neighbour's son was 18 and my friend said with conviction that the young man was almost a grandfather. :D

Edit: Oh, you've started the thread on Before the Saga. I can't wait to see all the answers to the challenges. :)

11. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
  12. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Mine is up! It is appropriately entitled Ugh! :D

13. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    hehehe I thought it was cute Jade ;)

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Jade that was so adorable!!! I left a review for you there too lol. SO precious Hehehe...

15. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    18, eh? I guess I'm at my peak. o_O

Ooh. Can't wait to read the challenges! :)

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    There are a couple of lovely posts up already. Be sure to read and reply. :)

17. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    I hope everyone's responses to the challenge are going well. :)

This is back on the Omega issue. I was glancing over to see if we ever got a name for Granta's mother, and came up with Tura Omega. May I just say this, Watson has no taste in names, be they an alias or not, they're bad. The only reason Xan got a rather cool name, is because Watson stole it off Thanatos. :p

18. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    The only reason Xan got a rather cool name, is because Watson stole it off Thanatos.

I thought she got it from the Gargoyles cartoon? :D First time I was surfing and passed the cartoon network and heard that name I sure did a double take! I wonder where he met her and what she was like. (thinks)

19. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Actually, it was Dave Wolverton who created the Xanman - I'm pretty sure. I mean, let's face it, there's a reason the series didn't start out with something JW wrote. Anyway, Wolverton wrote the first JA book that ends with Xan's message, and I thought I read somewhere that JW said, oh, isn't it great how he came up with Xan?

To which I say, very much so. :D

I figured all the names were a play on something:

Xanatos --> thanatos = Greek for "death"
    Telos = Greek for "power"
    Guerra = war
    Paxxi = peace
    Terra = land
    Omega [face_sick] = last, end

And this is just me being geeky, but you know how Guerra et al were from Phindar (I think)?

Phindar --> Pindar = Greek poet/writer - what is she trying to do, educate kids? 8-}

Plus, isn't Cerasi the last name of one of the LucasBooks editors, or something like that? I always see his name in the Acknowledgments, Mike or Mark.

And I'm sure Tahl means something like, "oh great revered and beloved one." :rolleyes:

20. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I thought I read somewhere that JW wanted a name that sounded "evil" and chose Xanatos. But if 'Xanatos' does appear in the first book, which wasn't written by her, then I must be hallucinating. 8-}

Hey Jade - do you know what "Crion" or "Thani" (capital of Telos) mean? 'Thani' could be off of 'Thanatos' maybe. 'Crion' is a character in a Greek play, I can't remember quite who. (Wait ... goes to online dictionary: 'Creon' is "The brother of Jocasta and uncle of Antigone who became the king of Thebes after the fall of Oedipus." Um, yeah. It's been a while since I took that class, I don't know the signficance of that character. :p)

Telos also means "The end of a goal-oriented process." o_O I think I like "power" better. :p

EDIT: Maybe Tahl was a variation on Thalia?

21. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    JW only chose those names because she had no capability of making up her own. Hence Granta. She should have stuck with ripping them off. :D

Do you ever wonder if she knows how much she's reviled by people like us...?

Shaindl

22. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I wonder whether she's ever read fanfiction and asked herself, 'why didn't I think of that?'.

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    It would be interesting to know if she has any idea how popular Xan has become and what she thinks of it. :D

24. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Hey, maybe we should send her a letter or something with all our Xan stories. You'll never know, maybe she would respond. :D

25. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    HA! That would be classic. We each send in a Xan vig that we've done, polished and perfected, and then maybe a little bit about how we feel about the character and how we each write him, and then see what she says.

She'll either say, "Oh, interesting, Xanatos has fans," or, "The hell? What do these people know? Nothing, for I am the great Jude Watson, and what I write is canon! Granta Omega is Emperor of the JQ!!!!"

Damn, she'd make a really great Mary Sue villain. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.