main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xbox Next?!?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by portman_is_so_fine, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
  2. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Better start saving up now, then.

3. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Can't say I care. Mostly I just play RPGs anyway on consoles, and every single Japanese RPG released on the X-Box tanked in Japan, so naturally none of them will be coming here.

Besides, I hate Microsoft. :p

I'll be waiting for the PS3.

4. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I don't intend for my comment to sound scathing, but why don't the posts relating to "Fav Xbox Games", and upcoming Xbox games stay in the Xbox Discussion Thread?

Official Xbox Discussion Thread

It makes it alot easier than posting in 3 different threads. :D

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    If he wants them to ship that Early, Uncle Gates must be abit desparate.
    Should'nt a Console have a lifespan of 5 years?

Besides, it was a wise man, err... probably Shiggsy Miyamoto, who said 'A Console (read: funny little boxes full of electricity) that does not sell well in Japan (read: the technological capital of the world) does'nt have much chance of selling well worldwide (read: the total population of a small unregarded blue green planet in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the milky way galaxy)'

And, judging from total X-Box sales against the PS2 and Gamecube, it's been proved right.

I could go on, but I think I've already filled this post with a wide variety of spam and console war material.

6. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I think 2005 is a little early too, I think he should wait until 2006 or 2007 at the latest.

7. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    FYI, the Xbox has outsold the Gamecube in Japan 312,400 units to 129,300 units as of December 22nd (source: Media-Create via PlanetXbox).

Perhaps fanboys should check their facts before they post.

And since nothing has been formally announced, I would take it all with a grain of salt. Until I hear something direct from Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft, it's all rumor.

8. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    You took the words out of my mouth Tobey.

9. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I'm not to sure those numbers as listed by PlanetXbox are correct. Media Create the site that they got their source from has the Gamecube listed as having 13.1% of the Japanese market share and the Xbox as listed at 2.76% market share in Japan.

Look towards the bottom for market share numbers.

Just want to add that the Japanese market is somewhere under 25% of total video games sales, if memory serves me correctly. It is no longer as important a market as some would have you think. A console can thrive while not being succesful in Japan. As the Xbox is proving.

Xbox has been outselling the Gamecube for the past 13 months in software and the past 7 months in hardware, outside of Japan.

Gamecube Overshadowed

>>>According to the NPD Group, one of the most respected market research firms in the industry, November marked the seventh consecutive month Xbox outsold GameCube in terms of hardware and has outsold GameCube in software in all thirteen months of its existence. Selling nearly 500,000 consoles in November, Xbox nearly doubled its sales numbers from October. Xbox consoles have edged GameCube by 20% in total sales, a considerable gap, especially when you look at the great first-party titles Nintendo has managed to release this year.<<<

>>>Though Microsoft has yet to come close to the PS2 in terms of installed base, the big MS can take comfort in knowing their online programs has bested PS2 from the get-go. Comparing their first month of sales, Xbox Live outsold PS2 Network Adapters by 14% and the three major Live titles (Ghost Recon, MechAssault, and Unreal Championship) sold over 300,000 copies combined in just the last half of November and managed an astounding attach rate of 80%<<<

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

10. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I saw those numbers RBE, but if I read it correctly those are just numbers for the last week. Being a Japanese site, it was somewhat confusing.

11. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Those numbers are weird. The Gamecube sold over half it's annual numbers (76,900) in just one week (annual=129,300). That means that all of last year the cube only sold 52, 400. That dosen't sound right, which would work out to somewhere under 5000 Cubes sold a month. Figure Nintendo has to being getting it's best sales in Japan, with titles like Pikmen, SMS, Animal Crossing, ect. :confused:

Edit: Just realized that those numbers must be for just fourth quarter or something.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

12. Darth-Bone

Darth-Bone Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    here's what it boils down to -

the xbox has only been out just over a year

it has proven it is here to stay, so more companies will jump on board

xbox moved 500k units in november alone

they just released Panzer Dragoon - a favorite of the japanese - to help show they are not ignoring them

they made smaller controllers (for everyone, but the japanese as well - love the pc wording - ergonomics - just say it's cuz they have smaller hands - no one will be upset)

it has proven it's worth and shows a committment to the japanese market, so the developpers will be on board soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.