main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Xbox One S

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by AstroDroid88, Aug 3, 2016.

?

Is the Xbox One S worth upgrading?

1. Yes! Love it

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No, waste of money

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Haven't bought it yet

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Hello people, who here has the new Xbox One S? Its got a lot of great reviews on Amazon. Thought about upgrading but wanted to see what people on here thought about the new Xbox One.

What's your take?

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    When you say upgrading are you referring to moving from 360 to an S or from a One to an S? The latter is a terrible idea (the S is just a One with a smaller form factor and some negligible hardware tweaks), the former is fine if you don't mind the replacement "Scorpio" system being like a year away at the most.

Chewgumma and Life like this.
  3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah, my One works fine. And my 360 S also works fine.

IMO, the difference between One and One S isn't as significant as the difference was between the 360 and the 360 S. The latter was definitely worth the upgrade imo.

Edit:

I might have been out of the gaming news loop for a while, but did Microsoft announce three consoles? The One S, Scorpio, and the Xbox 2? If all are scheduled to be released within a few years of each other, why not just wait for the 2? Are the former two consoles, the S and Scorpio, just mile markers on the way to the 2?

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    This thread feels tailored for posting Simpsons gifs in.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No. The Xbox 2 is what some people predict the real name for the formally announced Project Scorpio will be. While the Scorpio is specifically being pushed as an improvement over the One's hardware, the S is just a within lifecycle tweak (think PS2 Slim).

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  6. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Yeah, I meant upgrading from my X1 to the X1S. I would only do it if it were really worth spending the $300 or so. If not, then I'll just keep my X1 for now

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's so, so not worth it. You'd be paying $300 for a couple of inches of entertainment center shelf space.

Chewgumma and AstroDroid88 like this.
  8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I am tempted by the X1S. I've seen comparisons of the X1 and X1S and the size difference isn't huge. I'd like to know how they worked out the size difference because it doesn't look 40% smaller. I'd definitely be more interested if I could find a monitor capable of HDR. I think I'll wait for some more Scorpio news before I decide. It'll depend on when that'll come out and how much it'll be.

9. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I bought the X1S because of 3 reasons:

1) it's smaller and lighter
    2) no more power brick!
    3) the new controller (but this is sold separately)

The first two are more relevant to me because I am moving soon and I'll be happy not to deal with the heavier system and bulkier accessories. The new controller is just niiice.

Not sure I need 2 TB of storage, but it's nice to have!