1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (21-23rd November) | Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:VIC XBOX or PS2

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by fatboyslim, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatboyslim Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am looking at buying a gaming console and can't decide between the Xbox and PS2. So my question is, which is best for what.
  2. DarkJediTJ Jedi Master

star 4
    I sujest neither, to much money and it don't really matter provided that you have a computer where you can rave to other people why PS2 and XBOX Games can't come onto a PC version. This is of cause until you download PS2 and XBOX generators off the internet with Roms so that you don't actully need to buy the console but mearly download it illagally off the internet free.

Yeah that be my say.
  3. Rogue_Product Jedi Master

star 4
    Dude, upgrade your computer and get some decent games... consoles date too quickly. On the other hand, they do make some interesting "classified" games nowadays...
  4. __angel__ Jedi Knight

star 1
    I say if you have the chance to buy a new console, go for it, whether it be PS2 or XBOX. Yes, they might date, but you can still have fun on a dated console! I still like nothing better than to sit down and play a few rounds of Perfect Dark on the old N64. (Excellent game, I might add!) And even the antiquated Super Nintendo still has its moments...
  5. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    I'd say you'd have fun on either. I've played both, and there's some quality stuff on whichever one you choose.
  6. ACloneWhoIsDifferent Jedi Youngling

star 2
    thay are both great if u like games but i like xbox most of all escpecially HALO gr8test game of all time imho
  7. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, here here, Halo is bloody unreal and it's one of two games I own for Xbox, and that's enough. Get an xbox because there are some great games on the way, namely halflife 2 and Halo 2. PS2 is firm as well, with GTA 3 Vice City (cheap buggers didn't release it on xbox).
  8. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    XBOX has Halo which = teh win.

PS2 = sucky.

PC Games = better and cheaper then all of the above, and as TJ erroneously stated (because the JC does not condone illegal activities such as downloading ROMS which is however a cheaper alternative nudge nudge wink wink SAY NO MORE) you are better off upgrading your PC.

Teh Pie.
  9. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    XBOX kills the old and dated PS2 on all counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But PC games kill the XBOX on all counts
  10. The-Lute Jedi Knight

star 3
  11. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  12. __angel__ Jedi Knight

star 1
    PC + XBOX + PS2........
    = very good variety of gaming. How I wish I had some money for the latter two!
  13. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    PC + friends+fast download=all the games you would want
  14. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Not that we would at all condone piracy on this site.
  15. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    For the record, I hate that word, condone, it's so easy to get confused with condemn. throws his two cents into the PiT of Eternal Peril

PC's are too procedure-y, with xbox, it's a simple case of pushing a button, chuck in the game or dvd, and then you're on. None of this 'starting windows xp' and 'where do you want to go today' bull****, and what type of installation do you want to have. In a word, PC's are tight.
  16. Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed.

Consoles are made for one thing only... for playing games. There is none of the crap that is associated w/ a PC, insallation, stuff ups, sudden crashes. PCs are a multi talented, but they can't really be elevated in one area. Consoles are for one thing only... games. You chuck it in, and you play.

Yes, it DOES get out dated (but don't PCs?), but hey, I'm still playing Gran Tursimo on PS1.

Personally, I perfer PS2 mainly because it has a wider range of games, but X-Box is indeed a bette platform... Personal choice I suppose.
  17. Rogue_Product Jedi Master

star 4
    My PC takes less time to boot up than a PS2 (I checked it out after reading your slurs) and will happily run games in a very short space of time. If you have the cutting edge at any stage it's bloody fast and you can save a whole lot more games on a PC than having to stuff around with memory cards/sticks. Furthermore, computers are much happier to be networked than consoles, although you can normally only have one person per computer, unlike a console. Consider how many people use your gaming stuff Paul and how often you'd appreciate a new computer...
  18. Dags Force Ghost

star 3
    I hate it when people judge console games vs PCs because HELLO GUYS there is something vital you are missing here!!!

A PC game is utterly USELESS without a decent PC to play it on! So the arguement is pointless because the playing field isn't even.

Standing side by side, OBVIOUSLY a PC game will be superior to console game due to the huge amount of AI and graphics that can be jammed into the 1Gb setup procedure, whereas a console game is limited by the data it can carry on its CD.

BUT!!!

The big difference is that a console game option will ALWAYS be cheaper than the PC option because the hardware to run it on is cheaper (even if you include a TV). On top of this (and this is the biggest winner for me), you don't have to worry about setup time, configurations, incompatability with sound cards, video cards and lack of memory/CPU/HDD resources.

People never judge apples for apples and THAT really annoys me.

Now as for the question at hand, I would choose the Xbox as I've played on that more than PS2, but ultimately it comes down to who has what games and the cost. Personally I still love my PS1 'cause there are a million games available at next to nothing cost.
  19. Rogue_Product Jedi Master

star 4
    Give me an atari any day, eh Dags?
  20. fatboyslim Jedi Knight

star 1
    Runs off to buy X-BOX

Lachie before you give me the third degree there are two reasons.

I can't upgrade my computer any more without purchasing new mother board, and better screen (this = expensive)

And secondly i just want one
  21. DarkJediTJ Jedi Master

star 4
    Go the Atari! I haven't got one but I somehow stumbled upon one while surfing one day and erm... Not illegal!

But boy that monkey game with the barrels falling down is fun aint it?
  22. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree with Dags, only without much agreeance, and with more of an apathetic "meh" attitude.

It's after 12! I can have a beer....
  23. Rogue_Product Jedi Master

star 4
    Well FBS, I hope you have fun with it. Now that you've undoubtedly bought it, there is no point in my discouragement, rather my encouragement of buying games where things can be shot, bleed and die.

Beer you say? That's a little non-PG-13 isn't it? Went to frosties last night... 'Twas firm. Ran into a certain talent from Easter. 'Twas scary.
  24. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    PS2=vastly out dated
    XBOX=a few years left, powerful machine.
    PC=ever developing and diverse scope. Better graphics, better sound and so adaptible natively!!!

The Atari though!!!!!!!!!!!drool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  25. AT7 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi fellow Oz force users !
    I am lucky enough to have a decent gaming PC and a PS2. One thing I can say about consoles is that they are far more social. Its great fun to have mates over and be playing a great sports game for example. The closest you will get to this on a PC is a lan or online gaming, but its not the same. So, if you are into that type of thing, consoles are cool. As for xbox vs ps2, all that can really guide your decision is the titles available and what your preference is. Alot of the big titles, such as the ea sports games are across all platforms, but there are platform exclusive titles, Halo is the big one on Xbox. For me being a huge Final Fantasy fan, the choice was easy, as I could only play Final Fantasy x and its predecessors(and sequels coming up) on the ps2. The only thing I am miffed about is not getting rogue sqaudron 2 or 3 on any other platform than the gamecube, that godawful kiddie machine. Bugger !!

So, good luck in choosing ! Im sure you'll be happy in whatever you deicide. We're luck to live in a country where we can even worry about such choices....

As for whoever mentioend emulators, show me a decent ps2/x box emu and I'll eat my hat ! Even the best emu's are glitchy due to the huge variety of hardware software components that make up PCs. I only really use a playstation emu to play ntsc games I occasionally am nostaligic about, but thats about it

cool
    MTFBWYA
    AT7, Melbourne
    Spoiler free for Ep 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.