main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC XBOX or PS2

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by fatboyslim, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    FINAL FANTASY!!!!

:: Droool! ::

I love that series but It was a real bummer when they stopped coming to the PC which really pissed me off!

2. SuperYoda_Jedi-eater

SuperYoda_Jedi-eater Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2003
    Xbox has Halo and PS2 doesn't. PS2's are a piece of crap and Xbox's aren't. Go with an Xbox. But the absolute best is the Gamecube you idiots!!!! It has the best Star Wars games(except KOTOR) and some of the greatest games ever(i.e. Metroid Prime, Zelda, and soon enough Rebel Strike).

3. __angel__

__angel__ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2003
    And there you have it- the final word. Im convinced!

4. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I liek teh pie.

5. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    AT7 hit the nail on the head, one thing about console games IS their sociability.

My PS1 is permanetly plugged into my TV, and when ma buddies come around, all I gotta do is push the button and presto, instant two person gaming with "Bushido Blade", "Medal of Honour" and the ultimate SW fan fave "Masters of Teras Kasi" (kickboxer using Star Wars characters - gotta see it to believe it).

No mess, no fuss and plenty of fun is had by all.

As for the Atari games, no problemo, got myself a copy of Atari 2000 with heaps of the original Arcade games packaged on 1 x CD (inc: Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battle Zone, Tempest, Missile Command, Centipede and even Pong - believe THAT if you will). No Space Invaders though.

6. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
  7. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Oh man, stupid net being stuffed for most of August. I almost totally missed this thread. I hope I am not too late.

Dude, do j00rself a favour and don't sell out to Bill Gates, he just wants the blood of your first born to fuel his limitless lust for power.

OK, so maybe my inner-Nintendo fanboy is blowing things a little out of proportion, but I think I can provide some useful insight.

I've got a decent PC, a PS2, a GC and a GBA (well, 2 actually, but who's counting??). Although my GBA is currently getting moost of my attention, the GC is still my console of choice. As it happens, I'm quite the Nintendo fan, so maybe I'm a little biased. Plus I only bought the PS2 so I could play Final Fantasies 7 through to 10 (and soon FFX-2). Anyway, it comes down to this:

The PS2 has the biggest game library, and consequently, it's got the biggest number of crud games. It's graphics aren't too crash hot compared to the GC or Xbox, and Sony still didn't seem to grasp the idea of putting 4 controller ports directly on the console. No doubt there are some great games for the PS2 (I'd definately rate both FFX and Kingdom Hearts among them, but they're the only 2 PS2 games I own. :D)

The Xbox has a lot of stuff. 4 controller ports is certainly a good start. The graphics are a lot nicer than thise on the PS2, and it has a built in Hard Drive. It's also probably going to the be the first console to provide online support in Australia... eventually. Of course the downside is the games library. The Xbox doesn't really offer a real lot of games. And certainly the only good exclusive game that springs to mind is Halo (which isn't *really* exclusive, and I think it's pretty over hyped anyway...). I was infact tempted to buy myself an Xbox recently, until I discovered that the 2 or 3 games I was interested in gained 1's and 2's out of 10 in a few different online reviews. However, the game Fable (due out here next year, I believe) has me captivated. It will definately be exclusive and could be enough to make me buy a 'box. But otherwise, there's nothing really about the Xbox that grabs a hold of me and compels me to want it.

And then there's the GC. As I said, I am probably a little biased, and I do know a lot more about this particular console so yeah. Anyway, do you know which game was voted Best Console Game of Year 2002 on Gamespot? Metroid Prime. That's right, they said it was better than any other game that was released on any other console in 2002. One could say, "Better than Halo" - infact, if you've got a GBA and Metroid Fusion and a GBA/GC link cable, then the ability to unlock the orginal Metroid makes it far suprior to Halo, IMO :D. Anyway, I'm rambling. There are quite a few games that I would consider good, on the GC: Metroid Prime, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Rogue Leader, TimeSplitters 2 (*multi-platform), Splinter Cell (*mp, and it was good on Xbox too), Animal Crossing (*release date is Oct '03), F-Zero GX (*released here next year), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (*see F-Zero).

But enough about the games, as for the console itself. It prodices graphics that are just as good (and in some cases, better) than the Xbox and definately all round better than the PS2. 4 controller ports = mp fun. And the GBA conectivity is opening up whole new ways of playing games.

I have to say this. Don't dismiss the GC because of "kiddy" games. The GC has as wide a range of games as either of the competing consoles. Remember GoldenEye back on the N64? Remember playing it with a group of friends until the wee hours of the morning? Well, maybe not, but regardless, you cannot deny it's place as one of the greatest console FPS ever. And which game was crowned the GoldenEye-killer? Not Halo, but TimeSplitters 2.

Of course, if you've already decided that you don't want a GC then Sux 2 B U. But such is life and I'd recommend the Xbox. Unless you're a massive RPG fan, which I'm guessing you're not, otherwise the decision would have come down to PS2 or GC.

Anyway. Have fun. I'd still recommend a GC over anything else, yo

8. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    But still above all the PC is reality and the games and sound are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    Emu's are great. I can play FF7, FF8 and FF9 all in georgeous 1600x1200 with 4x anti-aliasing! PC's rock. It's only a matter of time before PS2 emulators will develop. Who cares about XBOX all the best games come straight to PC.

10. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Hell yeah!!!!!!!! I have emulators for all the old classics and even console games ported over to the PC run and look better!!!!!

11. AT7

AT7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2000
    Emulators are very handy. Just gave epsxe 1.6 a go ! great stuff ! Am having a great time playing final fantasy tactics, which was never released in Oz.... cool game !

its interesting to see how passionate(for lack of a better term) people are about the different systems. I'll still go to bat for the ps2 ! I'm too much of a final fantasy fan, dont forget devil may cry !

12. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I have played all the Final Fantasies on my PC!!!!

13. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    As fun as roms are, I'd much rather have a console hooked up to my tv. Maybe it's because I spe3nd a lot of time infront of my computer already with uni,etc. but I tend to loose concentration really easily when playing roms. On the other hand, I could sit down infront of the tele and play on a console for hours and hours on end (my record is probably about 15 hours non-stop).

14. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    I've give you that one - but only that one. Consoles give you more freedom and comfort on the lounge chair. But all you need is a good executive chair for your PC from crazy lints for a bargain to (almost)match the comfort.

PC's are still better.

15. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Exec chair, heater, drinks nearby and all the functionality and processing power of a PC!

16. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
  17. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    and a good woman by your side!!!

18. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, cause the women are all over you when you're playing your uber-cool computer games!!

19. __angel__

__angel__ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2003
    No, no, no! The PC will never outrank the console. What happens when all the memory is taken up by programs? You get bitsy frame rate and the graphics go way down.
    A console is reserved exclusively for games and you dont have to worry about people uninstalling them to make space for things that they consider more important, but we all know that nothing can be as important as that last level you spent seven months trying to reach but its gone, gone, gone...

20. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    ANGEL the PC already outranks the console. Such speed and power!!! An OS and hard drives.
    Such flexibility.
    A console is fixed and out dates so fast

21. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    yeah, liek, 10 year is so fast... especially in teh world of teh computorz.

Things outdate as fast as you let them.

Consoles have quite a few advantages over PC's, one of them being that they stay standard for X number of years, and you don't have to update to play the latest games. Especially where mutliplayer is concerned. It doesn't matter what the min specs are, you need a good computer to survive out there in the h4x0r-eat-h4x0r world of online gaming. And with the current generation of consoles all supporting online capability, it's even more important.

That being said, PC's can process and store so much more than a console. Both have their ups and downs.

And as cool as it is to play old games on an emulator, I'm not readily going to accept piracy as a legitimate reason for why PC's are better. ;) :D

22. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    AGreed but I'm not reading any more then I have to so I'm guessing the last sentance sums it up then?

23. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    yeah but consoles out date so fast and cannot be upgraded. The PS2 now looks and acts so ancient compared to the PC. The XBOX is better but still the hardware is getting antique by PC standards

24. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Again with the outdating thing... I'll quote my last post here:

"Things outdate as fast as you let them."

Seriously now. Who says something is outdated? What criteria are we relying on here? Graphics? Gameplay? Lastability?

My all time favourite games would include:

Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy 6
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Super Metroid

That's 4 SNES games right there and they're all great. In fact, I could add quite a few more games to that list. F-Zero, Final Fantasy 5, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Brothers 3...

Anyway, the point is, most of those games kick so much ass. In fact, Chrono Trigger has pretty good odds at coming in as my "All-Time Favourite Game Ever Yet". Does it have sweet-ass-OMG graphics? Well, it was pretty good on the SNES if that counts. Does it have something like 15 different endings based on your actions as you play through the game, with a New Game+ mode that allows you to replay the game starting with all your old equipment and stats so that you can access diferent endings and does it require quite a bit of thought and cunning to solve the puzzles presented in it? Does it also showcase a battle system with "random" encounters that can be avoided at will? The answer to all these questions and more is "Heck Yeah!".

Of course, a game doesn't have to be old school to be good. Many people acclaim Final Fantasy 7 as the best yet in the series. It was the first Final Fantasy to use such astounding 3d graphics to represent the world. It was also the first step into a (more or less) completely modern/futuristic world. It also had a mind-job of a storyline that sucked you in, chewed you up and spat you out, but kept you eager for more.

Then there was FF8. People tell me it gets pretty good, but I only got halfway through before getting bored. It had nicer graphics, by far. Was it an improvement? "Heck No!" I found the story very hard to accept, and the characters were all far too similar to each other(with the except of the angsty Squall - still, another mind job of a main character?). I beat FF7 in 40-something hours, and by the end there were still two characters that I had never run into at all. In FF8, I had encountered, and had in my party at least once, every character possible. What gives?

I felt FF9 was a step in the right direction after 8, but 10 r0x0red my s0x0rz. In fact I would say that I prefered 10 over 7. The storyline was just as involving as 7, if not more so, and quite a bit less of a headache inducing mind job (but quite a bit of a mind job nevertheless). And do the graphics ever kick?! Very cool, the pre-rendered FMV's are cool, but the in-game cut scenes are still awesome.

For a less RPG intensive comparison, let's look at Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Again we've got a game with multiple endings (as per all of the Metroid games) and a good replay factor. SM has tonnes of secrets and has a a bit of a platformer feel to it, whilst still being a cool 2d, side-on shooter. Prime is a fantastic update. The graphics are really nice, the visual effects are fascinating. The gameplay is challenging enough, like SM, and it still encapsulates everything that is "Metroid".

That doesn't mean the PC doesn't offer top quality gems every now and again. Believe me, as much as I am hanging out for Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for my Gamecube, I am also hanging for Half-Life 2 for my PC. If anything is going to r0x0r my s0x0rz in the last half of this year, it's going to be HL2 (well, if you don't include F-Zero GX, Animal Crossing or Mario Kart Double Dash). It promises to be as great a sequel to Half Life as FFX or Metroid Prime. The graphics look really nice and smooth, and at the same time, I know it's going to have the best FPS storyline since killing Nazis in Wolfenstein. However, what do we have at the moment? Battlefield 1942? As good as it is, and it *is* darned good, what is it? *Another* WW2 shooter? Again? I mean, it's been done before. And I don't really know, but do the Single Player campaigns actually follow real-world WW2 batt

25. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    It means that by buying a conmsole you are buying ancient hardware straight off the shelf, sub-PC standard graphics and kiddy style game play

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.