main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC XBOX or PS2

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by fatboyslim, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    "It means that by buying a conmsole you are buying ancient hardware straight off the shelf, sub-PC standard graphics and kiddy style game play."

LOL. Seriously, roffle, lmao, etc. etc. That's pretty funny.

Ah... I see. You were serious then.
    Ok, well, let's see. Do you even own a console? You've talked a bit about the Xbox and drooled for the atari... Well then, anyway, let's have a look at what you've said this time around.

Ancient Hardware, sub-PC standard graphics, and (this is the best bit) kiddy style game play. Well, I can't really argue with the Ancient Hardware, since I did say it myself, however, I will point out, that "ancient hardware" still produces some pretty sweet graphics. I think the term you Victorians use is "firm". The "ancient" standards I refered to with the Xbox at release were still equivalent to the mid level machines of the time, but had indeed been surpassed by bigger and better and greater things, at least once or twice. Case in point: Xbox uses an Nvidia card or some description, yes? 64 mb? My comp currently has a GeForce MX400 (64mb) and that's about 2 or 3 years old itself (it was mid-range when I got it then, for the record). Nowadays all the leet krew use Ati Radeon 9000's and stuff liek that. There's probably some GigaBlaster PixelRender 56,000,000 EXX DeluXXe Edition that everyone uses now, but anyway. The Fact of the Matter is an "Internet Year" is equal to approximately 3 months. And the "Internet Year" is used to measure the release of new products, etc. That is to say, A top end machine will be outdated in some form or another by the next Internet Year. So yeah, my comp's the equivalent of some giant room-sozed Bat-Computer from a cheesy 60's TV show (which shall not be named). Well, that Bat-Computer was pretty kick-ass...

Holy Aging PC Hardware, Mixo! Infact, that means, unless you bought your computer last month, then it's probably pretty over the hill too! Gee Willikers! At least roms don't require a huge amount of graphical processing power (what, being designed for ye olde tecknologies and all) otherwise you'd probably have to upgrade soon or be le left behind.

So, speaking of how consoles inately have sub-PC graphics... which games are we comparing here exactly? Cause, I mean, there are some PC games out there with some pretty slick graphics. Man, I wish when I played Splinter Cell, or Metroid Prime, or the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker that I didn't have to worry about all the damn ugly clipping issues. Not like Half Life or Freelancer or Neverwinter Nights or... Wait a second - those PC games have some pretty bad clipping issues and chunky 3d models, but those console (2/3 Gamecube, 1 multiplatform) games have either little or no clipping issues. In fact, I found that Wind Waker Link could sometimes be caught with his sword sticking into a Illusory wall, but on all other occasions had no clipping issues at all. Sure, I'm willing to admit that there are PC games out there that have better graphics than anything on a console. Half Life 2, as mentioned earlier, and Doom 3 both have really great graphics that look sweet. And when I say sweet, I mean totally awesome.

But of course, graphics do not make a good game. They might make a game more good, but graphics should not be the major drawcard for a game. If they are, then you're a something-something (ie: a something not very PG). Once again I'll refer you to my list of ass-kicking SNES games, all of which totally kick-ass over most of the games available on the market now and all of which have cool old school 16-bit system graphics (which, I'm sure you think probably suck ass).

And that brings me to point number 3. Consoles and their "kiddy style game play". This was the bit that really made me laugh. Seriously, that "LOL" up the top there, that was a literal real-life-to-text translation of my inital response.

You know, maybe if you were just dissing on the Gamecube I could understand that you just didn't know about some of the more mature games, or maybe you were just N-hatin

2. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I guess i am more anti PS2, such a shonky and clunky machine!!!!!!!!

XBox is cool due to Microsoft and Gatesy making it. Also for a console it is powerful.
    Although I guess i mix in circles where the slowest PC is like a 1.2Gig :) with a GForce 4 etc etc

3. AT7

AT7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2000
    Ive got a great gaming PC - but I just love my PS2, seriously !! Without it I can never play my beloved Final Fantasy games or Devil May Cry.........

MTFBWYA !

4. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I still love the PC though

5. Mr_Mwindu

Mr_Mwindu Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    i vote for the gamecube

6. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    You have to be joking

7. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I agree with the badass Jedi Master Windu guy on this issue.

8. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Yes. Gamecube is where it's at.

9. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I am flabberghasted

10. Mr_Mwindu

May 25, 2002
    i aint kiddin. gamecube rocks. HawkNC, thanks for the compliments brutha

11. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Having graduated from the ZX81 to the Vic20 to the C64 to the AMIGA and finally to the PC, I am flabberghasted at your backward step!!!!!!!!

12. Mr_Mwindu

May 25, 2002
    mate i also had the good old c64, that was great fun. but i went from the nes, to the gameboy, to the snes, then the n64, then a ps1 and now the gamecube. the fact that it is being slaughtered in the market by the xbox and ps2 is great for me, as games are dirt cheap!

13. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    The C64 was the king of games machines. Such diverse games and the full use of the 64k!!!!!
    The PC is for me. Graphics, flexibikty, gameplay and cheapness

14. Mr_Mwindu

May 25, 2002
    the good old c64, if only you still worked!

15. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    What about the atari? That was firm.

16. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yeah the Atari was great. The article in The Sun yesterday really pointed out the X-Box's superiority in multiplay and WAN abilities over the sad PS2

17. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Give me my PC anyday... (Although I have played FBS's x-box and it was firm and kicks the arse off my bro's gamecube and ps2)

18. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes the PC and X_Box are governed by powerful systems and the God-like Bill Gates

19. __angel__

__angel__ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2003
    I wish, I wish I had an XBOX then happy would I be.

20. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Marry me sweey Angel and i will put a X-Box on your finger instead if a ring

21. Mr_Mwindu

May 25, 2002
    yeah i enjoy pc games, but am too used to the consoles. im not a fan of the xbox controller though! so bring on the gamecube!

22. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I should of seen this earlier. Ahem, I'd like to draw some attention to an earlier quote...

[blockquote][i]"It means that by buying a conmsole you are buying ancient hardware straight off the shelf, sub-PC standard graphics and kiddy style game play."

LOL. Seriously, roffle, lmao, etc. etc. That's pretty funny.

Ah... I see. You were serious then.
    Ok, well, let's see. Do you even own a console? You've talked a bit about the Xbox and drooled for the atari... Well then, anyway, let's have a look at what you've said this time around.

Ancient Hardware, sub-PC standard graphics, and (this is the best bit) kiddy style game play. Well, I can't really argue with the Ancient Hardware, since I did say it myself, however, I will point out, that "ancient hardware" still produces some pretty sweet graphics. I think the term you Victorians use is "firm". The "ancient" standards I refered to with the Xbox at release were still equivalent to the mid level machines of the time, but had indeed been surpassed by bigger and better and greater things, at least once or twice. Case in point: Xbox uses an Nvidia card or some description, yes? 64 mb? My comp currently has a GeForce MX400 (64mb) and that's about 2 or 3 years old itself (it was mid-range when I got it then, for the record). Nowadays all the leet krew use Ati Radeon 9000's and stuff liek that. There's probably some GigaBlaster PixelRender 56,000,000 EXX DeluXXe Edition that everyone uses now, but anyway. The Fact of the Matter is an "Internet Year" is equal to approximately 3 months. And the "Internet Year" is used to measure the release of new products, etc. That is to say, A top end machine will be outdated in some form or another by the next Internet Year. So yeah, my comp's the equivalent of some giant room-sozed Bat-Computer from a cheesy 60's TV show (which shall not be named). Well, that Bat-Computer was pretty kick-ass...

Holy Aging PC Hardware, Mixo! Infact, that means, unless you bought your computer last month, then it's probably pretty over the hill too! Gee Willikers! At least roms don't require a huge amount of graphical processing power (what, being designed for ye olde tecknologies and all) otherwise you'd probably have to upgrade soon or be le left behind.

So, speaking of how consoles inately have sub-PC graphics... which games are we comparing here exactly? Cause, I mean, there are some PC games out there with some pretty slick graphics. Man, I wish when I played Splinter Cell, or Metroid Prime, or the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker that I didn't have to worry about all the damn ugly clipping issues. Not like Half Life or Freelancer or Neverwinter Nights or... Wait a second - those PC games have some pretty bad clipping issues and chunky 3d models, but those console (2/3 Gamecube, 1 multiplatform) games have either little or no clipping issues. In fact, I found that Wind Waker Link could sometimes be caught with his sword sticking into a Illusory wall, but on all other occasions had no clipping issues at all. Sure, I'm willing to admit that there are PC games out there that have better graphics than anything on a console. Half Life 2, as mentioned earlier, and Doom 3 both have really great graphics that look sweet. And when I say sweet, I mean totally awesome.

But of course, graphics do not make a good game. They might make a game more good, but graphics should not be the major drawcard for a game. If they are, then you're a something-something (ie: a something not very PG). Once again I'll refer you to my list of ass-kicking SNES games, all of which totally kick-ass over most of the games available on the market now and all of which have cool old school 16-bit system graphics (which, I'm sure you think probably suck ass).

And that brings me to point number 3. Consoles and their "kiddy style game play". This was the bit that really made me laugh. Seriously, that "LOL" up the top there, that was a literal real-life-to-text translation of my inital response.

You know, maybe if you were just dissing on the Ga

23. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yeah buy a real games machine, a PC!

24. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    Your persistence and dedication is bloody admirable, all of you...especially the guys with x's in their names...

25. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    :D

it's my job to know about computer games. and one day, it'll be my job to make them.

just so you all know, the PS2 stil sucks, and the xbox has gone back sucking too, now that Fable has been delayed 'til next year. And the PC sucks too, as the one new good game, Half-Life 2, has also been delayed because of h4x0rz. On the other hand, the gamecube is going to 0wnz0r j00r s0x0rz, or something over the next couple of months with Animal Crossing, F-Zero GX and Mario Kart Double Dash all coming out before Christmas.

Edit: It would seem that it isn't neccessarily my job to know markup codes though... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.