main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC XBOX or PS2

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by fatboyslim, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Mwindu

Mr_Mwindu Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    PC aint bad, but im a big zelda fan and i guess thats whats driven me to stick with nintendo

2. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Oh the PC...the power and the glory......the rich sounds and graphics..........the fantastic gameplay.........drool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!the ease of obtaining games and software................drool............the ease of upgrading........drool...........the ability to upgrade...........drool!!!!!!!!!!!

3. __angel__

__angel__ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2003
    No way, PC sucks. You have to wait for it to load... you have to wait till no-one is using the computer... you have to leave space on the drive for other family members... and even if you have your own laptop, if you load too many games on it it crashes, as I recently discovered.

GO THE CONSOLE!

4. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    That's why you own your own desktop... With LAN to play against your friends during SWOTVAC. Also, having a lot of RAM will cut down load times (unlike consoles which can't be upgraded).

5. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Only those wit hold PCs wait to load!!! My loading time is the same as the antiquated PS2 at the worst of times.
    and the LAN the beautiful LAN!!!!!!!!!!!!DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    My loading time is the same as the antiquated PS2 at the worst of times.

heheh... of course, the worst load times you get on any console these days is... well, on the 'antiquated' PS2....

Oh the PC
    the power and the glory
    the rich sounds and graphics
    the fantastic gameplay
    the ease of obtaining games and software
    the ease of upgrading
    the ability to upgrade

Let's see, power comes at a cost, just like rich sounds and graphics too. Fantastic gameplay lies in the hands of the programmers. The only genre of games that out-perform on the PC are RTS games.
    Then there's ease of obtaining games and software, which would be the same as with consoles - from a shop. Unless of course you were suggesting some other method, although I'm sure there are a few mods about who would be interested in knowing about what "other methods" you might be talking about on a public message board... as well as numerous other authority groups who try to monitor that sort of thing.
    That leaves us with upgrading... you can upgrade your PC regularly to play the latest games, or you can buy a console and play whatever games are released for the next 3, 4, 5 years...

Ok, so basically what I'm trying to say is, I know about consoles. And I know about PC's. I own 2 out of 3 current consoles (3/4 if you count the GBA) and a PC. Half Life 2 is still the only game that I'm hanging out for on PC, and that's now a good 4 or 5 months away. On the flip side, there's been about 4 new gamecube must-buys out in October alone (Animal Crossing, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur 2), Mario Kart comes out end of Novemeber, and do you want me to start on the PS2 or Xbox?

Anyway. I really don't think that you'll ever be able to use a general blanket statement to say that PC is better than consoles. Game-to-game, I'm willing to compromise, but under other circumstances I'll have a counter 99% of the time.

That's just the way things are.

7. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Hmm it costs a lot to but a console which is far less in power and graphics than most PCs. Buy a PC......Whooa top of the line everything....upgrade every 2 or 3 years for less than the price of a new console (which you would have had to buy) and reap the benefits!!

8. __angel__

May 8, 2003
    You say you cant use a general statement to say that PC is better than consoles? Enough said.

:D

9. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I already have :)

10. AT7

AT7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2000
    I just want to chip in agaain and say it sucks that Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 are only on that infernal CUBE !!!!!

MTFBWYA

11. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Ok, so let's just go through a bit of a hypothetical situation here...

I buy a GC/PS2/Xbox right now and pay either $200 (GC) or $300(Xbox, PS2) for the machine. Now all three consoles have been on the market for at least 1 year now, and we're not going to see any next-gen consoles until at least 2006. So there's another 2-3 years there, maybe even more. And if because the consoles have been out for a bit, there's already a few top quality games out there that I can pick up (some rather insanely cheaply too, I might add).

For a PC, if I want the top of the line, I'm probably going to have to build it myself, and if I want to use the very best of everything then it's going to get costly. "The Beast" from this month's PCPP (I think it was this month's) clocked in at a tidy little $7,800... I could buy 26 Xboxs for that much, or 39 Gamecubes... Even so, I could rest assured that I would be able to play the latest release PC games for a good 3 or 4 years too.

Either option will give me a good couple of years gaming with no hardware hassles. Now for upgrade time.

With the console I have the option to trade in my unit and games for a deal on a new machine. That would probably cost me $200, maybe $300 and most deals are probably going to throw in a free game or something like that. Or if you're like me and like to hang on to old consoles, then a new next-gen machine will probably set you back $400-$600, depending on whether it's a Nintendo, MS or Sony and whether you want to get a game too.
    On the PC front, I'm probably looking at around the same prices ($200-$300), depending on what I need/want.

The console will always win. I can start off with a $300-$400 outlay, be assured that the machine I buy will handle any game released for the next 5 or so years, and then trade-in towards the next, better, console. Or I can blow $7,800 on the most baddest ass PC ever and still have to pay to upgrade down the track.

For the sake of the arguement I discounted the cost of games. Since you're looking at the same price whether it's for PC or console, although, if we want to get picky, console wins out there too, since you can't trade-in PC games.

Like I said... 99% of the time, I'm going to have a counter for anything you say in support of PC's being better. No hard feelings. I like PC's, and without PC's we wouldn't have any good RTS games, but for gaming, I like consoles better.

12. Rogue_Product

Jun 12, 2002
    I guess it depends on what you want your PC to do.

Mine cost me around $1500 around 2 months ago and will play top of the line games. It also has a word processor, plays my music and surfs the web on a high speed LAN connection. Considering I use it for work and play it suits me quite well and I won't have to upgrade for quite some time (hopefully!) But when I do want to chill out, I can play games against other friends at college on the network. Also, you've failed to appreciate that a television is required to play a console (although your parents obviously have one), which can cost up to $10,000 for LCD, which is significantly cheaper for a computer screen(hey, if you're comparing top of the range equipment with an eight grand computer, I can too) and that doesn't include a kill surround sound system. It's all relative.

13. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    yeah a kick arse PC these dayc complete for $1200 easy. No other value compares

14. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    RTS the only thing superior on a PC? How about FPS'ers? RPG's?

Try playing a fps shooter on a console, wiggling that little analogue stick around to target an opponent. OOPS, went too far. OOPS, I can't target the damn thing - OH I'm dead.

Now try it on a mouse. Bang - kill, bang - kill. ACCURACY+.

RPG's is what the PC is made of: Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape:Torment, NWN, Ultima series, Wizardry series, Elder Scroll series, and on and on!!! And don't crap on about Final Fantasies! They are they ONLY reason I play a console.

Quite simply, games are better on PC. I converted a lifetime console freak to PC 2 years ago, and even then it was hard to get him to buy a pc game over console. But a year later he will NOT buy a console game if he knows it is coming for PC - even if its not due until a year later! In his words, "I'll wait, the console version will be crap compared to PC."

15. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I am hearing the gospel Lute... I am hearing it.
    Serious game players would only have the PC in mind. Also combined with its LAN and Net capabilities, nothing else is in its superior league!

16. Mr_Mwindu

Mr_Mwindu Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    im a serious game player, and i do have a pc but it doesnt compare with pluggin my cube into my projector to give me a 4.8 metre screen in my bedroom plus dolby prologic 2 5.1 sound via my sound system then playing the clone wars or rogue squadron. doesnt get better then that.

17. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    So many arguments... so pointless really.

I have a PS1, and my PC is a crappy ol' P3... yet all my gaming needs are satisfied. Racing and RPG games are all handled by the PS1 (GT, FF series), while RTS games (Warcraft, Starcraft, Empire) my computer can handle. When a top of the range, uber-cool game comes out on PC, I blow $10 to play it for 5 hours (or how ever long it takes me to get bored of it) at good ol' cydus.

18. __angel__

May 8, 2003
    i do have a pc but it doesnt compare with pluggin my cube into my projector to give me a 4.8 metre screen in my bedroom plus dolby prologic 2 5.1 sound via my sound system then playing the clone wars or rogue squadron

ARRRGGHH!!! Man you are so lucky.

19. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    R_P, even at $1500, the console is still better value. Let's see. You spend $1500 setting up a PC. With that money I could go out and get myself:

1x Xbox - $299
    1x Xbox Live kit - $99
    1x Knight of the Old Republic - $99

That's just under $500, so I've still got $1000 to spend between a TV and a sound system. Now it comes down to preference, but if I'm setting myself up for gaming, then I'm not too fussed on sound. I'll get the biggest TV I can for $1000 and be happy with that. And it's not going to be too hard for me to find a TV screen that's bigger than my PC monitor (19'). And since you didn't get *the* very best parts out there for your PC, you're going to want/need to upgrade sooner.

Heck, Mixo reckons that a PC built for only $1200 is incomparible value... I'm happy to take %300 off my console/tv bundle too. For $700 I can still get a TV better than my monitor.

Lute, you wouldn't be trying to put words in my mouth, would you? When did I say that RTS are the only thing superior on PC's? :D

Regardless, your point on accuracy can be as easily applied in the reverse. IMO, if you can't shoot straight on a console FPS, then you need more practice... or you just suck. Just like in PC FPS games if you move the mouse too fast and OOPS, went too far. OOPS, can't target the damn thing - OH I'm dead.

Onto to RPG's... You made an interesting selection there. And I would agree that quite a few are actually good RPG's. BG1, Planescape, quite a few of the Ultimas... NWN???? I mean, really.. Did you play NWN? It was terrible. That struck me as a very poor choice to include, especially when there are so many good RPG's out there. Where was Fallout? Or if you must stick with fantasy how about Temple of Elemental Evil? Ah well, at least yu didn't list Diablo 2. :) As for consoles, let's see what I can find, and I won't even list any of the Final Fantasies: Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Lufia 2, Seiken Densetsu 3, Dark Cloud/Chronicle.

Alright, I should probably stop here before I go on too long. But, in closing, here's another good quote from Mixo,
    "Serious game players would only have the PC in mind."
    Did you design the N-Gage, by any chance? Or perhaps you're the driving force behind the Phantom? I know you don't mean it, but you really do come out with some of the funniest things. Unless, of course, you're refering to players of serious games, in which case you're right. Solitaire is the bomb on the PC and nothing on any console compares to it. It's truely the King of Serious Games.

Of course, I know that's not what you meant. In fact, I'm sure what you really meant to say was, "Serious gamers would only have the great games in mind, no matter what platform they are on. Because serious gamers enjoy playing games, not bickering over how PC's are much more powerful than consoles.

Now I've defended consoles as valiantly as you have defended PC's, but seriously now, I think this should end. If it were possible for you to say something about PC's/consoles that I couldn't rebutt, then I think you would have thought of it by now. Instead I've shown up holes in your arguements over the last few pages, even going so far as to prove that consoles are a better choice financially than a PC.

20. Rogue_Product

Jun 12, 2002
    None are more unjust in their judgments of others than those who have a high opinion of themselves.
    - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Off you go, play your X-Box.

21. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    My lord boy.

Like...seriously.

Points to fresh air and sunshine.

Good stuff, I promise.

22. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    They always try to defend their use of their petty consoles! ha ha ha ha

PC $1200 new and fast
    Internet capable=$invaluable
    LAN Active=$Such delight
    Application Viable=$You can do anything
    Speed=Outstanding
    Graphics=You will never see better
    On a projected screen=Awesome
    Sound=Consoles are tiny
    Available Games=You have to see it to believe it
    Over all Value+=idiot not too buy
    -Console(avg lifespan 2 years,cost $500 new)
    -PC Upgrade($500 or so new graphics card, maybe CPU $500)
    The sums all add up.

PC ALL THE WAY.

23. da2ce7

da2ce7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2003
    The way i see it is that:
    Xbox; 300 Dollars
    PS2 ; 300 Dollars

XB Live 100
    PS2 NIC 70

Ongoing Costs!

XB Live; 10 / 4 Weeks
    PS2 NIC; NoNe / 4 Ever!

120 per Year is totally Outrageous - Just to play games!

TOTAL:

XB = 400 + 10 / 4 Weeks
    PS2 = 370 + 0 / 4 Ever

Ps-
    Don't get me started on Platinum games

24. __angel__

May 8, 2003
    The arguments between console and PC supporters is far from pointless, and will only end when they admit that their stance is flawed!

Consoles are the way to go, and Nintendo rules. Pure and simple.

25. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    What flaws does a PC have compared to a console? Only one i can think of is mobility but that is off shooted by its LAN power

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.