main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

XBox Vs. Gamecube.. Which has a better future and current games..

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Constipated_Cow, Mar 11, 2002.

?

XBox Vs. Gamecube.. Which has a better future and current games..

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. XBox

34.1%
  2. Gamecube

58.4%
  3. I'm gay!

7.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    You wanna know what a serious gamer is?

Ask Dan or AlienAcid. :D

2. Jedi4Christ

Jedi4Christ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    btw look at how many people vote GAMECUBE on this poll. alright point made. (Just jokeing, you can have whatever opion you want, as long as it's the right one! ;) ;))

[face_laugh] - LOL!!!!!

3. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    "X-box - drops in price a mere 6 months after it's realese. what do you have to say about that... hmmm?"

Umm, maybe you haven't noticed, but Sony and Nintendo also have dropped prices. I absolutely love the X-Box controller. Just the right size for my hands, while the PS2 controller is too small and uncomfortable for me.

Edit: Also, I'd consider myself a "Serious Gamer" as I own an X-Box, GCN, PS2, DC, N64, SNES, NES as well as a decent PC. :p

4. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Shush, dumb! I just don't hear you wasting your social life playing games like AA and Dan, that's all. :p

Oh, and get the pit droid icon back! You look naked without it! (which is disturbing me)

5. Jedi4Christ

Jedi4Christ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Really the GameCube price has droped???

To what has it dropped to hmmm? *dumb curious yoda face* (another one they don't have...) oh well.

- Jedi

6. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    The Gamecube went down from $199 to $149 and the PS2 went down from $299 to $199.

Sithy, I see you've already forgotten what JP and I have told you about linking pictures from that site, eh?

Edit: Sithy, look at your post from 3:04 in this thread.

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Forgotten? What're you talking about? I didn't post it! I mostly just use it in PMs!

8. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    microsoft dropped xbox's price because the main selling point in video games is the games not consoles. so when the price is dropped more people can have it, therefore be able to buy games for it. (same with gamecube and ps2)

9. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Very true. Console sales never make money, they're just lucky if they break even like Nintendo does. DVD's don't cost much more to produce than CD's once you get the initial equipment. And the "too big controler" argument is null with the "s" controler.

10. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Controller 'S' still has the absurd button layout.

I like the PS controller now that I have a gc of my own (same size)

Can't wait to get my hands on RE 0 and 1, ED, SFA, Mario, SW:BH and CW, DieHard, and Metroid (Yes, metroid Windexed!) all within 6 months. :D

11. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Ha!! You got me Arabian, I'll admit it. :) I was voice of doom, I know. Anyways, Nintendo has announced that there will be a GC Final Fantasy game, and also that the designer of Metal Gear is in charge of a GC-exclusive title. Mario Sunshine looks awesome from the video I saw.

Personally, I'm impartial when it comes to GC vs X-box; I want them both to succeed. I personally think that as far as actual games go, that Nintendo has the most potential. X-box games have so far looked good on paper, but kind of failed to deliver. I feel this may be true of a number of games on it's list. Also, bottom line, is that Nintendo is outselling the X-box. I don't know where that person a few posts above got his info, but Nintendo is beating X-box in every major market when it comes to console sales. I don't make up the figures.

But I think Microsoft has the ultimate ace up it's sleeve. And that being the online services. Their online scheme seems by far the most sensible, cheap, and convenient. Sony seems to be having problems deciding, if not dropping the ball all together. And Nintendo seems all but oblivious to the whole issue, which I think could end up biting it in the butt.

Here's my problem with the gaming industry right now: PORTS. Hands down. On one hand, yeah, it's great that you get to play almost any game no matter which system you own. The theory being, buy one system, and you get to play virtually any new game that comes out. This sucks, as every port I've played has been the video game equivalent of warm milky feces. I know companies want to make the most money possible, but what is WITH the SUBSTANDARD CRAP??!!!?!?!

Maybe soon we'll be playing some online Madden, eh comrads?? :)

12. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    I don't have a problem with ports if they're done right. Some are most definetly just barley tweaked ports. But when you've got your Spidermans that really go out of their way to utilize the system then they're worth it.

Has anyone else played Hunter yet? It's quite addictive. If you've got an Xbox you should at least rent it.

13. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I don't have a problem with ports either, if they're done right. I, for the most part, find most ports really crappy. Not because they are ports, but because the games themselves just aren't very well done. Here's a list: Batman: Vengence, Spy Hunter, Smashing Drive, Crazy Taxi, Simpson's Roadrage, 18-Wheeler, Cel Damage, Burnout, Dark Summit, Pac Man World 2..... just to name a FEW. Sure, there are some ports that are very good, like Max Payne, or Madden. And of course every game can't be considered great, but it just seems like there are a LOT of sub-standard games out there that are put out soley to make a quick and easy buck, and they outnumber the good games. I was just hoping for much more from next-gen games.

14. Pancrase

Pancrase Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2001
    Xbox decreaed the price of their console in order to get as many gaming units out on the market before Xbox Live hits. they want a lot of potential customers for that wave, and having more systems ont he market will help them make money in other areas.

With that said, because of the Online Element of Xbox, it has more future potential.

People who are just comparing games are not looking at the FUTURE OF GAMING.

The future of gaming is online. And Ninendo has not set themselves up for that wave. The Xbox has a very easy way of setting up to broadband, as well as a HUGE hardrive to make the online gamin experience fun, bu without all the hassle of buying another hard drive or a bunch of memory cards.

15. Constipated_Cow

Constipated_Cow Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Yeah but Gamecube is going online too.

I never thought my topic would be so popular :D

~Cow
    MoO!!

16. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Yeah but Gamecube is going online too.

umm kind of. They just announced they're not persuing it though. PSO is still in production for the cube and the box but Nintendo won't even ship their developers kit till July. If the cube goes online it will suck ass because they but a half assed efffort into it. Thus a self-fulfilling prophecy of no profit online.

17. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I don't necessarilly agree that online is the future of gaming. It's good for some games, like Diablo (if you know who you're playing with) or Galaxies, but I don't need to play everything online. I could be playing against some guy halfway across the country, or the world, that knows some super cheat code that makes his car faster, his linebacker hit harder, or his character invincible. I'd rather play with people I know. Right now, if you're out there cheating at Morrowind, I don't care, because it's not online and you're only ruining the experience for yourself, not me. Online when some level 99 amazon comes along in Diablo 2 and asks who or what Andariel is, I have a problem with that. Second there is the cost. FFXI will charge per month, so will galaxies. So now I've bought these games, and I have to pay each month to play them? That's kind of lousy. Granted, I'll do it for those two, but I can't do it for many more. And if games start coming out that are only online, that's going to stink for people that don't have broadband (X-box doesn't support dialup which a majority of people have). Or it will hurt people that simply don't want to play online. So I don't think online plans will necessarilly hurt Gamecube. You have to also consider their market. Nintendo doesn't like to admit it, but the Gamecube has a younger audience than the other systems, and kids might not want to go online. How would you have online Zelda or Mario anyway? And those are the reasons people buy Nintendo consoles.

Speaking of Gamecube, I really don't understand this poll. It asks about current and future games. Right now the Gamecube has barely anything out. Everytime I visit Toys R Us, it's the same batch of games, most of which are available for other systems, or just plain stink. There are a few exceptions, like Rogue Leader and Smash Brothers. And yes, I'm very excited about Metroid (A little hesitant on the new goofy Zelda, I preferred the early trailer with a more serious looking Link), but what else is the big future? X-box has more games that appeal to me, serious RPGs like Morrowind, Project Ego, Knights of the Old Republic. Looking at the first generation games, it's hard to deny that the future games will look incredible. Plus it has Robotech (a game that might actually look good with cel shading) and possibly an actually decent Superman game. To me, the massive delays in getting games out for Gamecube speaks volumes. Everything they are hanging their hat on is delayed, and everytime I look, it's pushed back again.

18. StarWars_Revelation

StarWars_Revelation Jedi Master star 5

Aug 5, 2001
    I voted the "I'm gay" for the guy's named and "Your (you're) such a fool" remarks :D

:p Kidding--I voted GCN. It seems to have a better lineup of games as good as Halo is for XBox.

19. BatzDarker

BatzDarker Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2001
    I love the Gamecube ... and I laugh at everyone who thinks it has a "kiddy image". Get a hold of yourself! Think just a tad about that, is a game kiddy if you enjoy it? Most people see Super Smash Brothers: Melee as a "kiddy game", but look at what you are doing! You are kocking other characters around a screen, and that is "kiddy". WOW! Then that would make every fighting game that doesn't show realistic blood "kiddy" ... yeah. Just look at what the Big N is bringing to the table very soon ... Eternal Darkess and Metroid Prime. Not to mention that Resident Evil is already out. You know that I am going to be getting both of those ... and not to mention Mario and The Legend of Zelda. You may hate cel-shading, but Link is back and better than ever in my opinion. I might be twenty-two ... but I know good games when I see them!

20. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    "I don't necessarilly agree that online is the future of gaming. It's good for some games, like Diablo (if you know who you're playing with) or Galaxies, but I don't need to play everything online. I could be playing against some guy halfway across the country, or the world, that knows some super cheat code that makes his car faster, his linebacker hit harder, or his character invincible. I'd rather play with people I know. Right now, if you're out there cheating at Morrowind, I don't care, because it's not online and you're only ruining the experience for yourself, not me. Online when some level 99 amazon comes along in Diablo 2 and asks who or what Andariel is, I have a problem with that. Second there is the cost. FFXI will charge per month, so will galaxies. So now I've bought these games, and I have to pay each month to play them? That's kind of lousy. Granted, I'll do it for those two, but I can't do it for many more. "

I agree with you there Wampas those are pretty much the same reservations about online play I have as well. I'm going to take a wait and see how it works out approach to it.

As for which console has the better futute and current games...there are three games that are on the X-box that pisses me off that they're not on the Gamecube: Halo, KotOR, and Jedi starfighter. The rest may be really fun games playing them, but not from where I sit.
    As for the GC's stable: SSBM, Rogue Leader, Spiderman's really fun (though that's for all systems), Gauntlet (yeah it's not really spectacular, but it's the best when playing with three of my friends for hours on end), Mario sunshine, Metroid Prime (of course), the new Zelda (though the new look should take a while for me to get used to it), Clone wars and Bounty hunter, Robotech (yeah i know they're not exclusives but I have a gamecube and am looking forward to playing them on it), and some others that will come out but I'll have to learn more about.

All and all the future looks bright for this GC owner.

21. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Well, GameCube doesn't have a bunch of Adventure games, for Mature Audience lately! [face_plain]

22. trav571

trav571 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    Game cubes much better and it has a lot of mature games coming. Perfect Dark, resident evil 1, 2, and 0, Duke Nukem Forever, Eternal Darkness, and Metroid Prime. X Box can't compete with that. All it has is Halo.

23. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I will get back to you on XboX later tonight, but PS2 definately better than GameCube!

24. trav571

trav571 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    Ps2 is the worst of all 3! The graphics are horrible compared to X Box and Gamecube.

25. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    PS2 has MORE games than GC and XBox, period.
    There is NO argument about it, there is games like FInal Fantasy XI, also upcoming DareDevil, Dark Angel, Lord Of Rings, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon<- the games that matters to MUCH older audiences, not avaliable under GC (at least NOT yet)!

SO what if GameCube has Duke Nukem Forever(Big Deal), PC will have it too, you have a PC don't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.