main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto XBox vs PS2 vs GameCube

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Shaun, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mori_Fett

Mori_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    Actually ;) only 7 of those have been on PC.

Also if you are really intent on using a computer monitor you could always hook up a VGA box.

Last don't forget Xbox DOES have a hard drive for modding, saving & burning your own music etc.....

Don't get me wrong, I use both my PC and my XBOX, but sometimes I don't want the hassle of operating systems, computer specs, people playing with 56K modems, windows error messages, lock ups etc....

2. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    So I guess that means you use your PC more often then? :p

3. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    I was actually reading in the paper today about a rumour that has been going around about Nintendo. Apparently they might be considering goin the same route as Sega and will only develop games.

Not sure if this is true or will happen but is something to consider.

PS2 or XBOX....the debate continues...

4. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    "Nintendo is in the software business - to stay. Nintendo is in the handheld business - to stay. And Nintendo is most certainly in the home console business - to stay. Work is well underway on the successor technology to both Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube. "

Peter MacDougall, Gerard Klauer Mattison Conference on Oct. 30, 2002.

Gamecube Article

Also, if they did go software only, it wouldn't really affect the Gamecube. They'd milk it for all they could, having spent billions on development and production costs. Still, it doesn't instill confidence when rumours like that fly around.

Despite not being in first or second place, Nintendo is still one of the most profitable games company around. Often, they have been criticized for being too conservative with their money. They sold their stake in Rare because the cost of supporting Rare, in Nintendo's eyes, was not profitable for them. Rare had only released Star Fox Adventures, and their next game wouldn't have been for another 6-12 months (knowing Rare and their delays)

Going into the release of Gamecube, Nintendo was hyping and investing heavily into second party developers (companies they own or have a large enough stake in to make games exlusively for them). Now, they are thining their second parties (Rare and Left Field) and making deals with other companies to produce exclusive games (Sega - F-Zero, Namco - Star Fox, etc)

Whether all this will lead to more games and better games, only time will tell. But, it may be too late as the system goes into its second year of release.

5. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Interesting article Adam.

I question their corporate wisdom in stating that they are already underway for a new system, that`s like saying the Gamecube sucks and they regret its release.

Which it doesen`t.

I grant its more a kids system, but a 12% jump to "M" rated games to say nothing of all the Star Wars titles available to that platform should be an indication that the Cube has some longevity.

This gamecube has more draw then the N64 ever did.

6. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

I like my gameboy advance, and i like nintendo.

thats my arguement, they both work for me. I'm not a high-tech person in that i know diddly squat about effects and digital...well anything. But nintendo is and always has been player friendly, and theres never a shortage of fun stuff.

my two cents..not that you can do much with two cents these days :p

7. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    The first rumblings of the Gamecube (Project Dolphin as it was known) started between 97-98. There was a great site called Operation N2000, which Planetgamecube spawned from after it closed up.

It's not to uncommon to mention the development of a new system. At a time when it's being questioned whether or not you're staying in the console business, its a good time to state that you are.

Rumblings of the N64 started in 93/94, when "Project: Reality" was announced.

Edit:

I forgot to drool...

*Drool* Metroid Prime *Drool*

8. Mori_Fett

Mori_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    I played Metroid Prime yesterday and I played/bought Splinter Cell today.

PLAY BOTH!!!

Buy a GC and Xbox!!!!

9. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    To Quote Digital " I question their corporate wisdom in stating that they are already underway for a new system, that`s like saying the Gamecube sucks and they regret its release."

Now think about this, you're a high tech company and you'd not consider the future? Sony was working on the PS3 before the PS2 was even released. They knew, as do all these companies, that the hardware would be out of date the minute it was released. The development track for something like a gaming console is quite long (3-4 years). Of course by the time one is released the developers already know what the would have like to include and so planning for the next best thing begins.

10. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Well you have to understand my POV dude; My take is that you don't want to go too public on the necesity of change.

If you say product A. will be obsolete within a short period of time, then the consumer won't be so motivated to buy it and simply wait will product B, hits the market.

Its like the old joke, as soon as you buy a computer its obsolete...

As for Nintendo, this is their first "disc" related product, and it got mixed reveiws in short order.

For the corporate big wigs to state that they have plans for the future is one thing, to say they have something else better already on the move...I don't know, it sounds like the Gamecube was a test run.

And that bothers me. I guess what I'm more urked about is that Nintendo can posture all they want about the future, the truth is that Playstation and X-Box and others on the rise are going to corner the market in console games.

Hell, Sega's even amalgamated itself with Ninteno, a last stand so to speak.

I just think that Nintendo needs to re-think their sales strategy for the future. Its amazing how quickly they can fail in the market.

Anyone remember the Turbo Graphics 16?

*Shudder*

11. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well I went and got myself a Gamecube tonight.

Main reason why?

Star Wars games. Good selection. Perfect for when I don't want to sit at the computer to play one.

Other plusses, I like the small size (space is at a premium for me) and I got it as part of a package. One unit, a memory card (the larger sized one) and an extra controller for the price of the unit and a controller itself.

Only got one game for now. Rogue Squadron. Afterall, the 13 year old boy that watched Star Wars back in 77 only ever wanted to fly his own X-Wing into the Death Star trench. Now I can do it whenever I want.

12. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, I got my Platinum GC for X-mas, along with the games - Simpsons Road Rage, Spyhunter, SW: Clone Wars, SW: Rogue Leader and Batman Vengence.

I'm having a serious blast with these! The graphics are great, and just wait until i get the component cable! And the sound? well all I hear are explosions :D but does anyone really understand Prologic II? cause the audio test on Rogue Leader, using Prologic II somehow uses discrete rear channels!

So, I'm all set until Zelda comes out!

:D

13. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Not entirely set, Ken. Metroid Prime rocks! :)

My understanding of DPLII for Gamecube is that it provides 5 channel surround, real time, which is important for games so the sound is not off at all.

With Dolby Digital, there is a latency between the audio because of its heavy use of compression and such. It was developed by Factor 5, who developed Rogue Leader and the audio tools, MusyX, for Gamecube.

IGN had a couple of interviews on it, which cover DPLII in much more detail...

Article 1

Article 2

I'm not sure of all the games that use DLPII, I think most of Nintendo's big games do.

Rogue Leader, Eternal Darkness, Mario (I think), Metroid Prime. Zelda will also be using it.

14. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    Metroid Prime and StarFox - Bounty Hunter and Maybe Outcast (might get the Computer version of this)

Oh, I'm still set for a while!

Thanks for the info on the DPLII! I actually learned something today! Yay me!

15. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    Hmm... at Robotech:Battlecry to my list of Games I have :)

Pretty cool, graphics and gameplay are fun. And I love the fact you can transform - which reminds me that someone is supposedly working on a Transformers game!!

16. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    So I ended up getting the Xbox from my girlfreind for Christmas. Its pretty sweet. I was pretty torn between all the systems so she made it easy by buying this one and making up my mind for me!!!

I am going to try out a bunch of games but so far Halo is amazing.

Ken-I have heard many good things about that Robotech game. I gotta get it too but first I must have Tony Hawk 4!

17. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    I see once again people comparing their boxes and this time alot of talk has came up about Star Wars game selections.

The best out there is the Tie fighter/X-wing and Jedi Knight series. And may I say they are all on PC. Granted X-Box has delivered Jedi Outcast, but nowhere near the level of detail as the PC. And who wants to play a 3D-shooter with an analogue stick as opposed to a mouse anyway?

switch(game system)
    {
    case pc:
    brilliant;
    break;
    case X-box:
    okay;
    break;
    case PS2:
    alright;
    break;
    case GameCube: