main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Xenoblade Chronicles [1, X, 2 & 3]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Ben, Nov 22, 2015.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Came realllyyy close to buying a used one of those for $169 while I was there. Don’t know how much of a headache it would be to put my info up and wipe(if the store doesn’t do it on trade in) the previous owners info. Ran out of time before I could really ask the guy questions but came close to just telling him to ring me up.

There was no Wii U game sections there at all. Weird considering 3/360/Wii was.

I also just looked up the Xenosaga PS2 games on Amazon and I only thought that $50 Wii game was mind blowing... I have Ep 1 that I never finished so never got 2&3. Most were listed between $70-$80. Ouch.

I should just throw on Ep 1 and go to town.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably because most of the notable Wii U games are either in the hands of collectors (Bayonetta, etc), fans who won't be letting go of their games any time soon (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage) or are so abundant/already owned by anyone with a WII U that they're not really worth having their own section (NSMBU, Smash 4, etc).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Buy Wii / Wii U - buy digital copy from eShop.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I remember the, what was it called, Project Rainfall games, where they had these pretty good late-generation JRPGs on the Wii that Nintendo didn't seem interested in bringing over (and Xenoblade had even already been translated into English and released in Europe I think), and so fans organized a campaign to get Nintendo to bring them over. And eventually they did, with Xenobalde as a Gamestop exclusive, which is why its still expensive there.

They always keep the high quality (and probably cult favorites too) at high used prices. Like off-topic, but Pokemon Diamond is still $34, and its not like that was a rare game.

Its not that hard to get Xenoblade these days at least. Just use the Wii U eshop, the Wii U does have a lot of good games on it, a few good new ones as well as a lot of Zelda ports. Or there's the 3DS port too, though its a bit of a downgrade, and it requires a New 3DS to run on.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Indeed- it was Operation Rainfall. The three games were The Last Story, Pandora's Tower & XBC. Eventually, XBC got released by Nintendo exclusively through Gamestop (and the Nintendo World Store) 22 months after JP, 8 months after EU.

Xseed then published the remaining two two in NA (19 months after JP, 7 months after EU for TLS and, finally, 23 months after JP, 12 months after EU for PT).

All of them eventually were released on the eShop (after even the "additionally discovered stock" at GS sold out quick and didn't help bring down costs for buying a physical copy).

I haven't played XBC yet (i will try it eventually- but I invested so much money into XBC X on Wii U that I want to get some good playtime in that [only really made it through character creation and tutorial when i first got it] before I hit the core franchise; even though I already have XBC2 since i wanted the SE release) but did download Pandora's Tower since the disc version apparently has a game-breaking bug that was fixed for the digital release, so there's not much incentive in tracking down a disc copy.

As for Pokemon, that probably has more to do with Nintendo 1st party games rarely getting discounted unless they're added to a Player's Selects series. Metroid: Other M for the original Wii from 2009, for example, was still full price on Target shelves as recently as a year or two ago.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's worth it. The sad thing is few will play it now.

It's arguably the game that really showed how well the gamepad screen could work with a main TV screen.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's just my curse that I'm most drawn to games I usually don't have the time to play.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, to be fair, XCX is a monster of a game.

Brilliantly designed but a total monster.

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    When I play an RPG like FF, or Skies of Arcadia, or Grandia or Chrono Cross I will usually go around 80-100+ hrs of playtime. Campaign isn’t that long but I squeeze every drop of $ I spent and try to hit max lvl on all characters.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think I could ever go that deep on any RPG.Not if I have a decent library of titles to still choose from.

For me, I think the best balance is found in ChronoTrigger- it's comparatively short but provides you incentive to replay through the multiple endings so you can extend your play if you have the time but can still get the complete experience if you don't.

One of the things I'm looking forward to about Octopath Traveler is having the separate character campaign stories- seems like a good way to divvy up the game so I don't feel compelled to 100% it off the bat but can still come back to it years down the road and not feel like I'm too deep into the game to be able to pick it up from where my last save was.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Found a copy of the Wii game for $45 today. Snatched it but it still hurts paying that much for a Wii game now.

Prob start tomorrow. Hope I like it.

12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    DP due to not being able to edit after 30 mins in games forum.

Ok I started last night and got to the 1st town before turning off. I really liked the opening bit. I’m surprised how good this game still looks being on the inferior console(imo) of the day. I will say that not being used to Wii controller I was bumbling around like an idiot. That’s really gonna take getting used to...

Now a ? does your health auto heal after every fight all game long or is this just a beginning the game break/boon?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You regen after every battle; think of it as the game's way of not bothering you with the hassle of managing party recovery items.

Jedi Ben and JEDI-SOLO like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You can use the Wii Classic controller too - far easier.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  15. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I’ve gotten user to it over the past few game play hrs. No idea how to actually do these chain attacks or what exactly ether power/stat does as thus far there is no magic except the light heal(and idk if it’s even using that) I just can’t really see what’s going on in combat to well.

I like Fiora the best of the 3 so far. She is a beast with those daggers.

Went to Cave/Mag Mell and when I came out let’s say things are smoking hot now. Can’t wait to get back on tonight!

16. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Garrrrrrr!!!!

Seriously?!!?! That’s ballsy so kudos to writers but I’m pissed off!
    Fiora died!!

Also combat got a lot harder with this sword. I figured out chain attacks though.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, read your post and almost posted something like "oh, she is?" but that would have given the game away.

In a game like this, if you don't care about the characters - it doesn't work.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    It was quiet well done but damn I’m still pissed about it! That was my play character.

Was able to finally use the gem forge but I was in such an Ambien haze last night I didn’t understand it to well and just turned it off purposely without saving so I could do it fresh again. Still not really knowing what’s going on this short playtime I had this AM but I made a few gems atleast.

Last night I was highly amused even though I was really pissed off at the loss that we were setting out from Colony 9 for 6 after the dramatic go forth young grasshopper and embrace your destiny but it told me to go back to 9 to sell items and there are new “!” Residence to do. It was funny.

What will I do tonight? I can’t wait to find out and post later!!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, new quests became available across the game.

It does a lot of smart stuff for a game its age, especially for the JRPG genre.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Didn’t do quite so much other then lvl up a bit. I’m now truly in the heart of the cave just fighting things. Think I’m lvl 16 or 17. Had a campfire and vision before I saved and went to bed. I’m still amazed how good this game looks compared to current generation games.

What’s the standard gameplay hrs for this game before completion? I will usually wrack up 100+ hrs on any RPG I play and max out lvls before the final fight. Is 100 the max or does this just keep going past it?

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You will easily rack up 100+ hours, Lv 99 is the max for characters but there is a Level 120 superboss.

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Well that’s good to hear.

Still in cave. Was an early night so I could come to TX so hardly did anything last night. Fought a giant spider and changed time with yet more confusing abilities(down side of playing usually on ambien before bed) I hope this ends soon!

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Had a really fun hour last night. Got to Bionois knee and fought like crazy. Seems like the Mechs
    are powered by human souls/life or are eaten.
    yikes. Played a bit more just now this AM as old man was gone. Found a cool buggy on fire and rescued its driver, currently “enroute” to his camp. This plain is pretty big and it rains and there is a HUGE beast at lvl 81 walking around. This game is so fun and I’m loving the auto heals. Combat/movement is getting much smoother for me. Game reminds me of FF12 kinda but with more freedom to roam just wish they had magic spells to use.

Totally gonna hit this store up continually to find Xenosaga Eps 2&3 and do a power re/play of 1 then those. Idk why I never bought when 2&3 released.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, be very aware of your environment and the enemy types waltzing around - some will not be hostile either.

Wondered when you'd get to this part, as this is the first time the game really shows how epic it'll be, with graphical design that is unique and new. You won't ever have gone around a game world like that of Bionis / Mechonis.

That's a good link to make, it does the next step from FF12 - as that too had a world with non-hostile creatures and/or conditions like this - you'll find some areas have major level arachno enemies, but they rely on sound, not sight - walk slow and you can infiltrate, get far enough and you get a major waypoint XP boost.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Made it to refugee camp last night and met Juju’s(stupid kid I wanna bend him over my knee!) sister who really reminds me of FF10’s Lulu. Man she is making me miss Fiora that much more! I’m trying to use her but I have never been a major fan in playing a healer class or Reyn’s tank class so I ll probably just go back Shulk in a bit. Fiora was a beast with those daggers! I do like her gun though. She’s just not really exciting to play atm.