main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xenophobia

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by johnthejedi24, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I did not really know where to put this since it deals slightly with starwars and sci-fi but also with the real world. But what I wanted to say is 2 things; Why in many sci-fi series are people still unwary and even frightened of various non-human species, and also how do you think peoples reactions would be to a real-live extraterrestrial. For me I am fine with virtually anythng. But there is one thing that will freak me out; The average "Gray", I would post information about them; IF I knew actually how to post links, and I don't know how to do that. The only aliens that have actually freaked me out is that scene from South America in Mel Gibson's movie Signs, everything else I am fine with. None of the aliens from any Sc-fi series or books have done anything to freak me out, although the ones from Octavia Butlers series, I forgot the name of the series but the species names are Oankali/Oolie (sp)? or something like that, I just found them a fairly reprehensible species, their motives seemed wrong and their ideals about how to change humanity made me want to slit their throats, "or whatever they use for throats", they should have left humanity alone and after reanimating us let us go on out own way without genetically tampering with us. Still how would people on this board react if a bunch of Grays/nordics/insectoids/reptoids landed on teh White house lawn. I would be thinking COOL!, heck they could control the world for all I care as along as I can still have the personal freedoms I have now and they do not mess with them. But how would you react?

2. ben_07

ben_07 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002

Unforunaetely most people would probably hate them. We still are fighting over differences within our own race, and can't even live peacefully with other species on this planet, I doubt aliens would be any different. But personally, if they were PEACEFUL I'd be open-minded and nice and try to understnad them. But if they would try to destroy Earth, enslave humanity, or anything like that, I'd be out there fighting them! Tt really depends on what kind of aliens they are, for me.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There are people here on Earth, in some cases they may be a part of a minor cult, who would be the first to grab their guns and do their best to shoot and kill any creature manding and proclaiming friendship. In this case I am speaking of people who not only believe in UFO's, but believe that said UFO's are agents of Satan.

As for the rest of the world I think it would depend on how contact is made. A radio signal which originated from another solar system would pose no immediate threat, regardless of content. So, after the initial shock, people would go about their lives.

A signal recieved inside the solar system, from say a probe, would be a 'hit close to home'. A representative would be on everyone's mind for time to come, and if the probe were A.I. people might be nervous.
    If it were a deralict, just a dead wandering craft, it would be the same as my first point ofter the initial shock wears off.

Landing on the White House lawn? Aside from the gun crazy people I mentioned, this would be in a single instant a turning point for the world(to make an understatement).
    Still, most people though shocked would get used to the idea so long as it appears to be safe.

In ANY contact event it is a matter of safety. If our very survival were threatened, then xenophobia comes to the front of all matters. And why shouldn't it? If I very survival becomes endangered aren't we entitled to all the 'phobia' we need/want?

4. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    personally, if they were PEACEFUL I'd be open-minded and nice and try to understnad them. But if they would try to destroy Earth, enslave humanity, or anything like that, I'd be out there fighting them!

I completly agree. Lets stock up on military grade weapons just in case.

5. GrandDesigner

GrandDesigner Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2003
    Some may think it's novel and would be nice to have alien visitors, knowing they must be advanced in some way or another. The thought that they could help with our problems, or shed some intellect onto this world would peak people interest.

But humans are a funny creature. Sure, at first it may be interesting and novel to 'host' alien lifeforms. But in time there'd be many problems unless one thing can be maintained. And that is for those aliens to leave humans alone. Humans prefer to do things alone. Any country, any region of this world is the same in that aspect. Take America, for example. Do you think Americans would enjoy foreigners giving advice on how to do their business? Do you think people in Iraq do? Do you think people anywhere really enjoy "help" from some other source? They want to stand alone and to look back on a past of striving through obstacles with as little help as possible.

Tt really depends on what kind of aliens they are, for me.

Even if the aliens were humans there'd be whining going on. People have a hard enough time if a friend of theirs is superior to them in some way or another. Let alone some alien lifeform.

Eh...but what do I know?

:rolleyes:

G-D

6. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    People have a hard enough time if a friend of theirs is superior to them in some way or another. Let alone some alien lifeform.

But something along the lines of a Wookiee is clearly superior. Where your friend is a closer match.

7. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    If the aliens are Wookie, Vulcans, or E.T., great!

If they are Yuuzhan Vong or Gungans, shoot to kill!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.