main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xl-1 vs Gl-2

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Hello, just a stupid question but what are the primary differences between the XL-1 and the GL-2. I had origionally thought that these pricy cameras were competitors until I realized they were both made by cannon *doh*. So now I am wondering what makes the two high-end cameras different fundamentally?

2. darthsaber10

darthsaber10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2001
    The XL1s you mean....eh hem....anyways....the fact that the XL1s has many manual feaures that the GL-2 does not, is the big differne....the XL1s also has the capability of interchangeable lenses...giving the camera a much more upgradability.....now those are just the biggest differences.....I recommend that you visit www.canon.com in order to find out more.....

3. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    okay, I apologise for not adding the 's' at the end, really I don't know the difference between 1-CCC chip and 3-CCC chip or whatever it is.

The reason I ask is because I have access to an XL-1s <--- added the s. So I just wanted to figure out some things about how it compared to a GL-2.

4. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    XL1S is typically better than a GL2. If you can get a telephoto lens for the XL1 so you can achieve that movie-style look, it's worth using. If not, it's STILL worth using. :)

Chris

5. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    I know it is worth using, I just want to know some more crap about camera hardware. I know a good ammount about cinemotography and framing but very little about the hardware that powers the knowledge.

6. Lukesfilm

Lukesfilm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    There are many subtle differences between the 2 cameras, right down to the range settings. e.g. the XL-1s has a wider range of gain/shutter/aparture settings.

The XL-1s lenase is a whole lot bigger which by definition will give you more light on the CCD and therefore a lot more control. Focal-length range can also be greatly adjusted.

the GL2 has 20x optic zoom, but you get what you pay for, so something will be compromised to do that.

the Xl-1s willcapture analogue and digital to the DV

the XL-1s will connect 4 mics at the same time.

Other features like clear scan (monitor filming) and spotlight (theatre filming) are geat assets that can be used for other shots.

Ultimatley, if your budget would allow you to ONLY buy the XL-1s then get the GLL2;that way you can buy a decent mic, lights etc

I have a XL-1s, but already had the extras.

My 2 cents

7. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Thanks lukesfilm

P.S. - you are the guy that did TESBY, wow! I didn't know you were such a legend ;) I just saw it the other day and thought is was great! (the mocumentary could have used a little more work though) Make sure you tell use when Beach Patrol comes out since we all love your work!

8. Lukesfilm

Lukesfilm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    Cheers Chum!

Yes I acted in, and directed TESBY, but it took a whole lot more than me at the helm.

Respect goes out to Eds, Halibut, Thrawn and a load of other dudes!

Beach patrol is due for release at Christmas...

I'll keep you all posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.