main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD XMEN 3

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Its on Saturday...at least that's what I thought had been agreed on? Friday night is out for me.

2. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Well I will be going to the 7:20 screening on Saturday.

3. Fampa

Fampa Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    It will be busy. Biggest crowd on a first night release that I've been in since the LOTR flicks.

4. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Guess this means it might be worth dropping by if you can to get ticket(s), and check to see how full the session might be selling.

5. Fampa

Fampa Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    D'oh!!!!

Didn't stay til after the credits.

[face_frustrated]

6. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Oh man, you should have Fampa:eek:

I'm sure someone can inform you once we've all seen it because i dont want to spoil it for the rest of them[face_whistling]

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    God it was good :D

Will reserve comment though like Luke, until everyone has seen it. Although I must admit I didn't stay until after the credits so I'm assuming I've got something even better to look forward too :D

YAY!

Kithera

8. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I just tried to buy tickets online but they're all sold out! Crikeys.

I'll be going into the cinemas after about 430 to see if I can get a couple.

9. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    they only put 50 tickets up for sale online.

10. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    guess I'll be going in early tomorrow to get mine then

11. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I too recommend people get thier tickets as soon as they can.

12. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Yeah, I grabbed mine whilst in the city yesterday arvo...

Was going to grab extras, but Abi made the excellent point that I didn't have her student card. Nevertheless, it still would have been a good idea, in hindsight. [face_thinking]

13. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Can someone grab one for me if the situation arises?

Thanks

Kithera

14. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Yup sure thing Kit!

I'll be going in around 11ish, so if anyone else needs me to grab them one, msg me okies!

15. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, I enjoyed the movie :)

[face_love] Beast xD Especially when in ass-kicking mode... [face_thinking]

16. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    yeah, I totally enjoyed it. More than I thought I would to be honest. So many shocking and sadvthings happened though.

Jena and Logan at the end was particularly hard to watch.

Did love it. Yey for movies!

17. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I loved it. Had to go and pick up the first DVD at the shops today :D

Sorry I wasn't too socialble, I had a headache that got progressively worse through the night till I was incapacitated at the end [face_skull] Thanks heaps Dan for the lift into town, I think I might have ended up in a gutter otherwise

And that movie afterwards was hilatious, will have to see it sometime while concious :D

18. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    "Do you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!"

Worst. X-Men. Ever.

19. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    It didn't have the same feel at the first two movies. Different director, I know, but you can really tell that it just doesn't quite fit properly next to 1 and 2. That doesn't make it BAD, I enjoyed it a lot. However I really, really don't like it when they change directors.
    The whole developement happened, IMHO, too fast. I would have preferred something between 2 and 3. Hints of this "cure", it is suppose to be a series afterall, and jumping from one point to another throws the audience a little. Angel needed more screentime. Juggernaught, bad - but then I expected him to be bad (not bad, but bad, ak - you know what I'm talking about). Colossus, more screentime, less clothes, please! :)

20. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Yeah, Angel didn't have as much screen time as I expected he would - Considering he's fairly well advertised. He was pretty cool though :)

21. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Beast was awesome. I was afraid they would kill him off, looks like I had the right fear but for the wrong character...

Colossus was great, he got more screen time. I didn't mind Juggernaught, but thought Pyro wasn't really as fleshed out (more skilled than X2) as he could have been. Storm flying around = :eek:. And I didn't like Magneto's remorse when he is 'cured'.

Angel to me seemed like Bobby's (Iceman) part in X2. A character that will grow and be more of an X Man in the (next ?) movie. Now, the hard question:

Is Scott (Cyclops) dead? I say no.

22. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I agree with what Lozza said, particularly about the pacing, which was way too fast, giving you no time to breathe and get a handle on the situation. And the style was noticably different with the new director, though I wouldn't say in a bad way, generally. Regardless of all that, though, I too really enjoyed it. X-Men 2 is definitely a better movie, but this one is still a great watch. Total edge-of-your-seat, smack-yourself-in-the-chest-to-restart-your-heart kind of thrill ride. It was BRUTAL, had one hell of a body count, and many developments I never would have expected. And man, if you ever wanted to see just a full-on superhero ****fight, this is your movie. 'Cause man.

23. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I agree on the fight scenes. This is what the last two films lacked; recreations of the splash pages in the comics where mutants on both sides just go at it.

And for once, Wolverine actually looked like he could fight. In the previous films, I never got the sense that he could actually fight well. Sure, he was tough and he could cut things, but he lacked finesse. He finally got it in this film

Beast was awesome. Between Kelsey Grammar and his stuntman, they complete nailed the character. He reads upside down, he compliments Storm on her hair, he complains that his old retro 70s X-Men uniform doesn't fit him as well anymore, he says "Oh my Stars and Garters" totally naturally, he attempts to quote Churchill during a fight, and he just plain 'ol kicks ass. They got his movement and his snarling in the fight down perfect. Very happy with that. Beast got the biggest fanboy reaction out of me.

I felt sorry for Cyclops. Not only did he get gakked, but he got gakked off screen. The character of Cyclops has been dumped upon consistently in these movies, and James Marsden has had a thankless job portraying him, despite the excellent job he's done. I *really* felt his loss during the final battle; it should have been Cyclops leading the X-Men in their Last Stand.

This wasn't the Dark Phoenix Saga. Then again, this wasn't the Dark Phoenix. It was Phoenix. 'Nuff said.

The youthful looking Xavier and Erik was pretty good. It was a little too CGI for the first shot where Xavier gets out of the car and we get the close up, but it was done fairly well. It'll be amazing what they can do in a few more years. And man, wasn't Erik just so camp back in the day...

They also got the relationship between Xavier and Magneto right too. When Magneto tells Pyro that Charles Xavier did more for mutant kind than he would ever know, he obviously means it.

Magneto was once again portrayed as the sanctimonious coward from X-Men 1, and I like that. I like what they did with the character all up.

Juggernaut was good, with one exception. Mystique, was as always, excellent. I loved her actions in the end. And it confirmed it, Magneto has a thing for redheads.

Finally, Storm was actually good in this. Pity what it took to get her there. Still, her and Logan's reactions at a critical moment were spot on. And her fight with Callisto was great. Obviously Storm got some kung fu on after her drubbing at the hands of Toad.

Oh yeah. Iceman. 'Nuff said.

All in all, they got more right than they got wrong. Brett Ratner did a fine job, I just don't see why he's so maligned amongst the fanboys.

But still, a few complaints.

The pacing was off, especially in the earlier parts of the film.

Why has Kitty Pryde got pink trim on her uniform? She's not a bleedin' Power Ranger. Oh wait, cos she's a girl. Thanks for setting the feminist movement back five years Chuck!

Speaking of Xavier...I get that he can be and has been a maniupulative bastard in the past, but it seems liked he took a hard left turn into Dark Territory here. It just grated on me.

Oh, and of course, the "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" Great line, awful delivery. Come on Vinnie, you can be menacing!

I know he's gonna track me down and beat me up for criticising his acting, but it needed to be said.

I dunno where I'd rank this in the series. The first film was a triumph of style over substance. The second, while good, is highly overrated. More viewings will cement my final opinion.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

24. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    All in all, they got more right than they got wrong.

Agreed, most definitely. It was all-action, in-your-face type stuff for the entire movie, but I think in a lot of ways the last chapter of the trilogy needed that. It was a bit too much at points, but as you say, the great outweighed the not-so-great.

Agree whole-heartedly about Cyclops. They've really made him into a bit of a dick in these movies, when in fact he's an okay guy. And then bumping him off just for the hell of it... No. He should have been there at the end. He should have been the one wanting to stand up and put poor Jean out of her misery, even if he failed and it fell to Wolverine to do it.

Loved the aging-down effects on Stewart and especially McKellan, they were extremely convincing. It's the really subtle special effects that are the best, not the flashy stuff. On a similar note, I loved what they did with Phoenix's face, that was just creepy, that look in her eyes just made you shrink back in your seat.

Loved Magneto's moment of respect for Xavier, rest in peace.. And while I do agree with what many reviews have said about the action overshadowing a lot of the deeper stuff and emotion and moral questions and all that stuff the series has thrived on, what was there of it was very stirring. Most of it from Magneto, actually. As ever, McKellan lends such credibility to the movie by his presence. The tear in his eye at the end of the battle, that really affected me.

And finally, Storm for teh win. Go the Sith Lightning.

25. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    So, I take it you guys didn't stay till the very end of the credits???:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.