FF:NZ XWA Gaming

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Graal, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    OK so this may not be the correct place for this particular thread but does anyone here play X wing alliance or x wing vs Tie?
    If so are there any NZ based wings that you can join, a dedicated NZ league could be organized to play at full speed with no lag locally instead of via the zone, and just think of the posibilities for organizing a week of war against aussie wings!
    any thoughts on this or any other lucas arts multiplayer games?
  2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    If you started a social league, I'd play XWA whenever possible.

I don't go in for the formal, structured gaming clans though.

I've only tried XWA (online) once, but as the players were scattered around the globe, it was laggy, and as we were all new to it, it took ages for games to start - then kids would join without the LEC patch, and the whole game would crash. I guess a zone game would have been more stable, in hindsight...

I know my little brother likes playing ForceCommander online. We may be getting Battlegrounds soonish, so that's also a possiblility.

As far as online games go, we both play JK / MotS semi-regularly, though I'm still not very good.

3. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    I've played online a few times, I have a fairly high speed connection so haven't had much of a problem with lag, its a good game but some of the overseas leagues get a little too full on, I mean we only play the games to have fun don't we?
  4. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    I like X-wing Alliance, great story, but my joystick is craptacular. It's just about impossible to calibrate in windows. Also, the only computer X-wing alliance will work on in this house is the one without a modem. [Threepio] typical! [/Threepio]
  5. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    semi-regularly? ha! i play when ever i have another player hehe

XWA - not that great in MP, SP = great game.

yes, force commander RULES! (want to play more MP - but its bad with lag)

JK / MOTS - when ever possible i play.

GBG - got the demo last night (thanks JP :)) and a new Star Trek holodeck fight type game like JK - looks cool, need to check that out later today! and GBG of course!
  6. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    Have you tried any of the mods from www.xwaupgrade.com ? they have some classy shipsets. There are also some episode 1 mods available can't remember the URL though, If having problems with lag during multiplayer tone down some of the detail or background settings, from memory that usually vastly improves gameplay on 56K, I have a jetstart connection now so haven't really found it a problem lately.

I have just started playing SP on hard/difficult settings and OH MY GOD ITS HARD!!
  7. Raz Zaphon Jedi Master

star 4
    If you want to start a group, make it IRC based. You don't want to do it on the zone, too slow. Learn how to exchange your IP address with people and then connect to each other manually from XWA. That will reduce lag alot.
  8. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    we use IP address's for JK and MOTS etc all the time.

when we played XWA we used IP connection - lag still a factor!

XWA is just not a good multiplayer game unfortunately :(
  9. Raz Zaphon Jedi Master

star 4
    True. Still better than XvT though.
  10. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    SFL, when we played XWA, there were about 10 people scattered around the globe logging in.

Little wonder it was laggy. This whole thread is about having local NZ games to reduce lag, and I think it's well worth trying out.

11. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    true.

(ive also tried playing 1 vs 1 games with Nadim (back in the day) and it was laggy as hell too - when there was no lag in JK)

but im up for trying it out with other NZers!
  12. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    XW vs TIE Was my fave for a while (never played XWA, am I missing much?) although we only have one ph line so whe u share it with others you cant game online much.
  13. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    Graphics in XWA are much better, and you have the single player missions which are challenging and fun, great range of different ships to fly. and its avaialble as one of those EA clasics for $29.95 from most games retailers
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.