main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xwing pilot costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Drador, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drador

Drador Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    So im looking to make an xwing pilot costume. I HAVE to buy the helmet because i cant make anything like that. Well im a bigger guy and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have a rubies helmet how big it is? and does it fit nice? i mean if i have to buy it over the net i hope it fits when it gets here

thanks!

2. hofie

hofie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2002
    I have a big head (7 7/8 fitted hat size typically), and I've been told that my head wouldn't fit in the Rubies very well, or it'd just look really silly.

Don't buy Rubies anyway b/c they're crap helmets and aren't too screen accurate. We're not allowed to post other sites, so PM me if you need some options.

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Yeah there are at least 3 other options for helmets.

Of course the best of those option is to convert the real Vietnam era helmet. However those are getting harder to find, especially in large sizes. Usually when I see one show up its a small.

4. Drador

Dec 11, 2004
    wheres is a good place to buy a Vietnam helmet? and do you konw where i can get a tutorial for converting and how much do they usually run? if you know? thanks!

5. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    IMHO, I think converting the real helmet is more money and work than its worth...but if you want super duper accurate I guess that's the only way to go.

6. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    The helmet you want in an APH-6B. They typically run in the $300-400 range. It still needs a fair bit of work and custom pieces to convert it, and I know only one person who offers to do that for around another $400+ or so.

And as the previous poster said, its very accurate, but you can get almost as accurate for a lot less money and 99% of the people won't even see the difference.

7. Drador

Dec 11, 2004
    its not that i want complete accurate its my head is freakin huge (not as bad as i Exaggerate but its still rather large) i just dont want to order one with out trying it on and being like "hey it doesnt fit!" and then i cant send it back because its concidered a mask.

so what would you guys do in my situation?

8. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Well there are alternatives besides Rubies and the real helmet...we can't post the links here...but their helmets are bigger than Rubies and should fit your head. The ones I know of can fit rather large heads. They are size accurate and if Porkins can wear one that size...well I think that you could too.

9. Drador

Dec 11, 2004
    Im not the size of porkins (thank goodness) but im not little at all. could you PM "your suggestions" so i can get a helmet cause i really want an x-wing costume! And if i dont have a helmet i dont even want to wear it to CIII

10. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jorg_Sacul_from_C3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    Don't be shy-- I wore my X-wing suit for two days at Celebration II without a helmet, and it seemed not to be a problem at all.

11. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    I'd like to add that not wearing a helmet is a lot more comfortable, and you can hear better, too. :D Even when in armor, a lot of us leave our buckets off unless taking pictures.

12. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i dont own a helmet, and really dont want one that bad. unless in gonna be climbing into the cockpit of the X-wing in denver, i dont think they are needed that much.

13. paxdelere

paxdelere Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2004
    ok, i'm new to costuming and my favorite elements of sw characters are the helmets. i bought a jango and tie-fighter helmet just for collecting (rubies). never planned to wear tie-fighter, i just like it, but the jango helmet could be repainted to make it into an alternate bounty hunter. anyway, my favorite helmet is classic trooper, but i'm not into getting a full suit, at least not until i drop 20 pounds (fat troopers don't look so good) but i bought the trooper helmet from rubies anyway. wow is that thing bad. it's too skinny, not shiny, can't see out of it, and the paint work is hideous.
    i guess i'll put it up for sale online.
    :(
    what i want to know is who makes good trooper helmets?

14. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I have one of those HUGE heads as well, and can tell you that there are helmets out there, besides the Rubies/Don Post and a real convereted helmet. Off the top of my head, I can think of two suppliers. I have one of them, and most of the pilots I know have the other brand.

As the sayings have gone, PM for details.

http://echobaserebels.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=2

15. Drador

Dec 11, 2004
    Ok then maybe ill still make the costume and someday even if its after CIII i can still get a helmet so i can even just finish the costume, oh and another gripe i have i have size 14 shoes!! its so hard to find boots for this! arg!

thanks everyone for thier input

16. jedi1mindbender

jedi1mindbender Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    try an army surplus store for helmet

17. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jorg_Sacul_from_C3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    Boots of that size are going to be a pain-- now if you'd said size 9 or smaller, or 13, I could have directed you to the right place-- I wear an 11, and they are tough to find.

Keep checking the Army surplus stores for the boots, every so often they get in the right kind in a wide variety of sizes. Heck, you might even tell them what you're looking for, they may have sources they don't normally order from.

Have you joined the Rebel Legion yet? (shameless plug):)

18. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    i have size 14 shoes!! its so hard to find boots for this!

I hear that.I also am size 14.I have looked on the net and you can find boots in that size,but they are a bit more expensive.I found a site that has 14 trooper boots.In most cases I think it would be easier to spray paint a cow and tape it to our feet.

19. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    In most cases I think it would be easier to spray paint a cow and tape it to our feet.

[face_laugh]

I double-dog dare you!

[face_cow]

20. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Have you joined the Rebel Legion yet? (shameless plug):)

I'll double that plug.

Heck if you look in this thread you had a response from two Base Commanders and an Executive Officer. Need more proof that we are a helpful and informed bunch? :)

21. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    you might also be able to substitute Motor cycle boots for the Correct Canon boots. I was searching online for these boots and a simple google search pulled up a discount leather sales site.
    Not exactly correct, but close enough.

And JOIN the Rebel Legion lol. It doesn't cost anything, and you have people there who have done alot of the research into the costumes. as stated, you have a couple base commanders and XOs helping you already. :)

22. Drador

Dec 11, 2004
    Sure i dont have a problem Joining the Rebel Legion i just need to finish the costume! but i should try to have it done by march. i do not believe it will take me that long i have time during the night to work on it for a few hours. I have a jedi cloak i could finish the rest of that costume. and join with that!

but thank you for your guys invites!

23. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    you can actually join the forums there now, just not as a full member. Take full advantage the the area especially for Rebel Pilots. I know alot iof people over there who don't post here, plus witht eh pages and posts listed there, you can find alot of the info you'll need there.

24. jedi1mindbender

jedi1mindbender Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    hopefully it all comes together

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.