main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Y tambien los starwoids españoles! Identificaos!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Carl_el_cee, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhaines

nhaines Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    You all could just learn a lot of Latin, and then Spanish and German like me! Then you could fake your way through the different Romance languages and... well, you either know German or not, LOL. But what was said was something like:

Topic: "And also Spanish Starwoids! Identify yourselves!"

"To see how maybe people there are here, who are from Spain or South America...."

Can't understand it? You're probably not from Spain or South America! ;) Yeah, yeah, I'm having fun with it. Well, I think this is a great post--it's always easier to communicate in your native tongue. And since I don't see that this is common at all, it doesn't bother me. I totally agree that every other post shouldn't be in Spsnish or German or whatever.

Hopefully if it kinda bothered anyone because you couldn't understand it, well, now it wont. :D

--Nathan

P.S.--Don't get me started about Klingon! :p I can command my cat to get off the table (naDevvo' yIghoS!) and know like two other proverbs and know the sentence order is object-verb-subject. Oh yeah, and I can actually pronounce it! That's about all, though.

EDIT: Spelling. Yes, in English. :p

2. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    But if you posted something in Klingon on a trekkie forum, EVERYONE would understand.

3. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Uh-oh! I think SOMEONE might have figured out JediTAC's secret weakness! "Ma! Get me out my translater!" ;)

4. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    La madre que me parió...!

Why are so many ppl against this? Is it because most of you ppl are from US and you are non-tolerant to other cultures/countries?

Goddamnit! All I wanted to know if there were other ppl out there, and all I get is a bunch og !diots playing with the translator.

If a mod's reading this, please save me from my frustration and lock this thread, plz.

Carl

EDIT: Y si no quereis tomar parte en estos topicos, pues quedaos fuera, joder!

5. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    Carl_el_cee,

This is the exact reason I started the french threat. I wanted to see if anybody would speak out against it. Much to my disappointment, it has happened.

Nowhere does it say that this Forum is english only. Nor should it be, the internet (read INTER-net) is INTERnational.

Why on earth should I have to conform to your language?

If you want to know what were saying just ask, or use a translator. But really it isn't intended for you anyway.

In fact someone who has been lurking for a while but has poor english skills posted for the first time in the french theat! And he has a wonderful hologram technique to boot! Can you imagine how empowering that must make him feel, to finally be able to, not only post, but to contribute, who know how long he's been sitting on this footage without an opportunity to show it!!!

Sauja

6. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    'Nooq daq oh' pujpa' eh?

oops, my trekkie is showing... :D

7. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    I agree with you totally, Sauja. Je parle un 'tit peu de français aussi. Je conait Jedibyknight et nous parlons en français par fois. Je suis d'acord avec toi surtout, que si nous faitons des postes dans français, espagnol, etc... ce sont pour les personnes de cettes pays/langues.

Par exemple, mon frère, il a un forum de jeux-video, et il y a gens Allemande, Suisse, Italienne, Français et Espagnol mais en anglais personne, parce-que c'est un forum espagnole, mais lui, il n'a pas de problemers pour lesser poster a gens d'autres pays...

Et oui, INTERnet, INTERnational!

Carl

8. silva_p

silva_p Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    "We're pushing four languages here (would be five, but no one actually spoke Portuguese). Not bad"

Thats no problem really:
    Eu posso falar portugues se voces quiserem =)

9. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Sauja, you created a French THREAT!? "Viva le revolution!!!" Seriously, I kidd, I kidd!!! :D

10. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Wow, even after just a year of learning Spanish, even *I* can somewhat follow along in this thread. Cool. . . :D

11. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    Vive le Jay Sherman! Vive le France!

12. Sauja-Dupen

Aug 22, 1999
    Freudian slip :D

Sauja

13. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    [face_laugh] Good one.

Sage.

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Las cucarachas entran, pero no pueden salir.

M. Scott

15. nhaines

nhaines Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Nowhere does it say that this Forum is english only. Nor should it be, the internet (read INTER-net) is INTERnational.

Why on earth should I have to conform to your language?

If you want to know what were saying just ask, or use a translator. But really it isn't intended for you anyway.

Okay, I have to disagree here. This is very obviously an English forum. This can be seen from the amount of English spoken here. It's not just mostly English, but by and large almost every single post is English. This is the Internet because it's an inter-connected network which encompasses many smaller networks.

Here on this forum you should conform to English simply because it's a very widely spoken language--second only to Chinese, I believe. But English speakers are world-wide while the bulk of Chinese speakers are in China.

I support your right to speak Spanish--even here. But I think that it's only fair to post a dual-language version of your post. Whenever I post in a German forum, especially when I know my German is bad, I post in both languages on the off chance someone can make some sense out of it. But I certainly wouldn't be so arrogant to expect people to read an English post and repsond only in English just because it was on the Internet. I do my best in the foreign language and expect people to be compassionate. Anyhow, you'd better believe I studied German for three years before venturing off to Germany for vacation. Everyone was very kind, and I even got a couple people testing out their English on me--quite all right, since I was testing my German on them. You got a couple testing their Spanish on you here. :)

I must say, Carl, your English is wonderful and you should be proud of it. I was disappointed by some of the angry replies here by English-speakers. But you can't expect people to at least not be curious about it--it would have been most kind to have offered an English translation (or even just a quick "I'm just looking for Spanish-speakers here" in English).

16. Amidala_Nutley

Amidala_Nutley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2001

Imaginate como seria la vida sin TFN y las cucarachas ;) lol

17. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Whatever...

Stop it with the classic Spanish quotes, ok!?

Carl

EDIT: I give up, I'm outta this thread

18. Sauja-Dupen

Aug 22, 1999
    nhaines,

Although your arguement has some strong points, and is no doubt shared by many, I afraid I, in turn, must disagree with you.

My first point of contention is this "This is very obviously an English forum.". That fact that most posts are English doesn't necessarily make it an English board. The is no TF.N policy on this. (Alas, I fear there soon will be).

Even though this practically a 100% English community, it doesn't mean I forfeit my right to speak my language.

In you example you were soliciting feedback from everybody, and hence made an effort for as many people to understand as possible, (perfectly logical), the but the french and spanish threads (not threats), we ment for people who could understand (or were crafty enough to use a babel fish!)

I'm sorry if you felt excluded, but quite frankly, you were. If you feel compelled to know what's being said, just ask, I'm sure someone will gladly explain.

Carl_el_cee, don't give up. You are much better off ignoring them, then throwing in the towel.

I seem to remember the Americans having some sort of law or something that guarrantees freedom of speech or expression or something like that. Not sure though.

Amidala_Nutley, I'm glad to see someone has their priorities straight!!!

Cheers (¿Como se dise 'cheers' en espanol?)

Sauja

19. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Mmm, creo que se dice UN SALUDO o SALUDOS simplemente. Si es para decir "later" es HASTA LUEGO o NOS VEMOS.

Carl

:)

20. Sauja-Dupen

Aug 22, 1999
    ¡Ah! Gracias. ¡Y Gracias para no partida!

¡Hasta luego!

Sauja

21. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    I am going to ask the posts remain in English. We cannot moderate the boards if we do not know the language.

Thanks for the cooperation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.