main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Y: The Last Man... who's read it?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by snap-hiss, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    It has been reccomended to me and I'd like some input and opinions.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  3. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I've read it and I think it's excellent.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've read it. Another vote for excellent.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've read it. Also: Excellent.

6. Compactor_3263827

Compactor_3263827 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2003
    I concur. A definite must-read. Also, since it's finished, you can read through the entire story without having to wait for the next issue.

Also: Excellent.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Only read the first volume so far, but it is pretty good start.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Sounds interesting to me...

9. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Fairly good, though the main character is a wuss.

10. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    It's the next thing I'm going to read.

11. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Speaking of which, courtesy of Scifiwire:

Director D.J. Caruso told SCI FI Wire that his Eagle Eye star Shia LaBeouf is interested in starring in Caruso's proposed film version of Y: The Last Man, playing the hapless slacker Yorick, the last man on Earth.

"Shia and I talk all the time, and when I feel it's right, I'll show him the script," Caruso said in an interview. "He's definitely interested.

LaBeouf just finished the sequel film Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and doesn't have anything on his schedule at the moment. "I think Shia is going to take a a little break, relax and take some time off," Caruso said. "I would like him to do it if our schedules work out."

Caruso is currently completing a script for Y: The Last Man--based on Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra's acclaimed graphic novel series--with Carl Ellsworth, who also wrote Caruso's Disturbia (which also starred LaBeouf).

The story follows Yorick after the sudden death of every male mammal on Earth. Caruso and Ellsworth turned in a script to Warner Brothers executives, got some good notes and are working on a bang-up third act that still sticks to the original stories very closely, he said.

"We came up with some really cool things that would enhance act three and be close to what is happening in the series of books," Caruso said. "It was a ground-breaking idea. I know [the rewriting] is taking longer than I thought, but it's a really great project, and it's important that you focus on the story and get it right."

Caruso added that Y: The Last Man is envisioned as the first of three films. "It's definitely a three-parter," he said. "Trying to fit in the whole story in one is too much."

The graphic novel features a menagerie of compelling female characters, including Yorick's conflicted sister, Hero; the kick-ass government Agent 355, who is his bodyguard; and 355's sinister fellow agent, 711. The movie will include all of them, but not as they appear in the books.

"Yorick's sister, Hero, is in the script at this point, but she is not as much of a character as she was in the first draft," Caruso said. "Right now, she's sprinkled throughout, but she's not a major, major character."

Caruso added: "The 711 character is in it, and she's insane. She does teach [Yorick] a life lesson or two in a very interesting way. It's a comedic, yet horrifying, scene. She's very cool."

As for rumors that singer-turned-actress Alicia Keys is up for the key role of Agent 355? "It's too early to talk about who we're going to cast, and it's nice that the fanboys and fans are talking about it, but we haven't talked to her about it yet," Caruso said. "If we don't get Alicia Keys, though, I'm sure I'll make a pretty good choice."

12. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I read the first volume on trade paperback, and loved it. Currently on vol. 2.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'll look for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.