main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Y: The Last Man

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I just found out that there's going to be a movie adaptation of the DC Vertigo comic book Y: The Last Man. The screenplay is currently being written by creator Brian K. Vaughan, according to this article.

I've been meaning to check this comic out, especially after getting hooked on Brian K. Vaughan's other hit series, Runaways. I'm already aware of the concept, which is quite interesting. I hope the film adaptation doesn't go into development hell again.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I never read the comics, but it seems to be interesting. At first when I read the title and heard DC comics I was thinking a V for Vendetta spinoff. Nevertheless it sounds good from what I've read.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    V for Vendetta spin-off [face_laugh]

It would be great to see how many people walk out of the theater asking the same question. :p

Its good stuff thats for sure. Most of the Vertigo books are and are all ripe for film adaptation IMO. Much more so then the normal flights and tights stuff.

The concept is age old but Vaughan put his own twist on it and made a much better story out of it.

They better get the casting for the monkey right though [face_plain]

4. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Agreed. I would also love a Fables movie, but it would have to be R to distance itself from stuff like The Brothers Grimm and Shrek.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    100 Bullets could make a great movie. They made a video game but I don't know what happened to it.
    DMZ is fairly new but its a great concept.

I think thats one of the things thats great about the Vertigo line the concepts easily could be pitched as anything and do well. It just that they got made into comics.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've read the 6 trades that are out for Y. I haven't made the leap to reading single issues yet though. The only problem I see with making this into a movie is that there is SO much. Plus, it's still going on and isn't even close to reaching a conclusion. I don't see how book can be getting the movie treatment already. The only way I can see it working is if the leave the ending open. There's no way you could cover everything that's happened so far in one movie, or even three movies. Y: The Last Man has a lot going on in it. A surprisingly large amount for such "simple" subject matter.

7. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I finally read two of the issues. The current storyline "Kimono Dragons" has a Kill Bill-meets-film-noir-meets-road-comedy feel. I like it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.