main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Y-wing: Behind Enemy Lines (OC ,Squad Serial AU after Clone Wars)-Repost update 12-05-17

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thorn058, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Chapter 12

I believe our greatest strength will be the people who join us. The cause of freedom will be stronger based on the relationships those who fight for it forge with those around them. The Empire has shown that they will be exclusive and will continue to be racist to a fault. Our cause will grow by accepting any and all who yearn for freedom no matter their race, sex, or creed. Men and women will fight side by side for the same rights and for a life of their choosing in this galaxy. That is what the Emperor doesn’t understand the strength of the heart.- Bail Organa in a private letter about the Alliance against the Empire sent to Mon Mothma, co-founder of the Alliance

Kayleth tried to keep pace with Tristen while adjusting the collar on his jacket. The order to attend the welcome home celebration had called for dress uniforms and while most of the fleet had sensible uniforms, the Star fighter Command seemed to have gone out of it's way to make sure their pilots were as uncomfortable as possible. Tristen looked totally at ease in his dark green pants and shirt, his rank insignia and duty medals blending in to the dark fabric, his black boots and belt polished to a glossy shine. Kayleth, by contrast was anything but relaxed in his uniform, whatever idiot had thought white pants with a dual red stripes running down the leg and a deep blue jacket was a good look, needed to be vaped as soon as possible. The collar still pulled at his neck, the rank insignias seemed out of place and the bright buttons on the cuffs and running down the middle of the jacket were as impractical as the rest of the uniform. The Alliance was still in its infancy and yet the need for a uniform look for the fighter corps was one of many hastily made mistakes.

“Tristen please shoot me and get this over with.”

“No way I wouldn’t miss this for the world. You guys are going to stick out like a sore thumb. This is going to provide laughs enough to last the next tour and maybe beyond.”

“Well I hope you keep in mind Mother has to wear the same thing and I can’t wait to hear you laughing at her.”

“This is just not your week is it Gunner?”

Both Kayleth and Tristen came to an abrupt stop. They were almost too stunned to talk. There in front of them was Jas, her blonde hair had been artfully styled despite its shortness. From her ears dangled a pair of slim silver earrings to match the sliver pendant around her neck. She wore a stunning light blue dress that plunged off the shoulders down her neckline and giving ample evidence that she was woman. A simple criss-crossed strap across her back and left it open to her waist before falling almost to the floor. A pair sparkling blue shoes finished the ensemble and gave her about an inch or two more height so that Tristen didn’t tower over her. The effect on Tristen was clearly visible as he starred at his girlfriend with his mouth hanging wide open.

“You really don’t expect a girl to make an appearance in that get up do you?” she said pointing at Kayleth, “Close your mouth Tristen it makes you look dim witted.”

“You look beautiful Jas; just wish I had you on my wing for this. Oh well let the laughing begin.”

Jas walked over and put her arm through Tristen’s and then held her left arm out for Kayleth to take. “I haven’t left my flight leader yet, not going to start now, Come on boys we got some celebrating to do. Besides dummy here needs a drink so he can start talking again.” She laughed. Tristen’s grin was from ear to ear and his white teeth stood out next to his black and purple eye. It didn’t stop him from puffing out his chest as the three of them entered the Botanical Atrium arm in arm.

The Botanical Atrium had grown in leaps and bounds since they had left eight months ago. It easily dwarfed anything aboard the Caladon and possible rivaled the new expanded hanger in size. The amazing part was the plant life, giant trees seemed to be everywhere, huge planters with flowers and shrubs from hundreds of worlds. Tall and silent Ithorians moved here and there about the atrium tending the flowers, the trees, the green and growing things. Every now and again the sound of a bird’s call would echo throughout the cavernous chamber. It was almost too beautiful for words and the millions of small twinkling lights hung on trees made it the perfect place to celebrate a long overdue welcoming home.

Even the thousands of crew members with more arriving by the minute could do little to diminish the size of the vast cavern. There were scores of tables set up around the Atrium where groups of people ate, drank and visited, the atmosphere was one of relief and happiness.

“I get the first round.” Kayleth said leaving Jas and Tristen at a small round table where they were talking to a mixed group of friends. As he approached one of the many bars scattered around the center of the atrium the crowd parted and his breath caught in his throat. Kayla was standing at the bar with her back to him. Her red and copper curls had been gathered atop her head and cascaded down her right shoulder. She wore a stunning black dress that looped around her neck and was open at the back all the way to her waist and black shoes that matched the dress. As he continued walking she turned and noticed him, her green eyes locking on his and a smile creasing her face she leaned back against the bar, her bare arms resting on the bar top.

“That is some get-up Flyboy, you working catering for this party?” she asked with a smirk.

“Nope this is the Alliance’s idea of a proper dress uniform for a star fighter pilot.”

“It’s something proper alright, a proper mess. They expect you to get any action in that thing?”

“I don’t think tactical dating was what they had in mind when they designed it.” he laughed “Still you have to admit it does make for a stunning entrance.” slowly turning around and then striking a classic holodrama pose.

“Not bad, not bad at all Gunner” she smiled. “You going to stand there or are you going to buy a girl a drink?”

“Sure thing Chief, what’ll have?” he teased as he approached the bar next to her. She punched him in the arm as he did but they both laughed as Kayleth signaled the bartender and ordered drinks for her as well as one for himself and Jas and Tristen. They split the four drinks between them and walked back towards the table, Jas looked at the pair quizzically and then turned to look up at Tristen standing next her but he still had that idiotic look on his face.

“Took you long enough Gunner, what did you have to do get help brewing them? “

“Well I, umm” he stammered

“Men hmmph” Jas exclaimed and stood up approaching Kayla hand extended “Flight Officer Jas Kaltin, I’m with this one.” she shrugged towards Tristen.

“Kayla Arlien, mechanic on the Blackwind. You’re Mother then?”

Jas laughed and took a long pull on the drink Kayleth handed her. “That would be me alright. How did you two meet?” she asked pointing at Kayleth and Kayla.

“I introduced them.” Tristen blurted out.

“Oh you are just itching for another black eye aren’t you?” Jas asked him.

“No he is right, Tristen did introduce us a few days ago and I have been waiting to hear from flyboy here ever since. All Tristen could talk about was that he had this buddy that I just had to meet and then nothing. I mean I even kissed him and still he left me hanging.”

“Gunner, you left this gorgeous woman hanging? I think you have been spending too much time with Tristen his lack of good sense is rubbing off on you.”

“Hey in my defense we did get into a battle right after that kiss.”

Kayla stepped over beside Jas and both of them fixed him with a hard stare. “There has been plenty of time since then that you could have called her Gunner, maybe you should have done that instead of trying to hide Tristen from me.”

“He was not hiding me!”

“Shut-up” all three said.

“So I got tired of waiting and figured I would put on a nice dress and make him notice what he was missing.”

“Oh hunny, if you are waiting on Gunner it will be a long wait. Come on let me tell you some stories.” Jas said as she slid her arm around Kayla’s waist and lead her over towards the table.

“I wasn’t hiding!” Tristen blurted out again. Jas turned her head so she could see him and raised one eyebrow as she stared at him “Yes dear.” he muttered. The four of them sat down and ate, talked , laughed and got some much need relaxation.

Two hours later as most of the plates had been cleared away and people milled around talking and visiting. A small band played some light music and couples danced around a cleared dance floor. Tristen seemed to dominate the center of the floor with Jas holding him close, her head resting on his chest and that idiotic grin seemed to be permanently plastered on his face. Kayleth and Kayla danced slowly their eye locked on each other.

“You friends really care about you.”

“Well we have known each other for a while and served together for the last few years. I don’t think I could ask for anyone better.” He said as he twirled her out and back, bringing her closer as she came back in.

“Well Flyboy I’m glad I don’t have to fight them to get this.” She said softly kissing him deeply.

Kayleth never got a chance to answer her as they broke the kiss. The music slowly died out and someone walked to the middle of a small platform that had been set up in the center of the atrium. It was the Captain and he held up his hand as he cleared his throat, a miniature microphone picked it up so that it was garbled over the intercom that ran throughout the atrium.

“Can I have everyone’s attention” he asked, the crowd quieted down a little but not enough to satisfy the Captain “Sarge if you please” The Sarge stood in front of the stage still in his armor having come straight from the Heart of Arkanis to the party.

“ATTENTION ON DECK!” he bellowed without the benefit of a microphone. His voice echo off the stone walls of the atrium and several of the birds nesting in the trees were startled and flew off. All crowd noise immediately ceased and the faint sound of thousands of boots coming to attention could be heard beneath the bird calls.

“Thanks Sarge. I won’t keep you long; you have all earned this celebration and deserve to have some free time. So before I slip off we have a few things to take care of and since this concerns the whole fleet I think this is the proper time to address them. Sarge if you will.”

“Lieutenant Kayleth Tor step forward.” Kayleth came forward and stood before the stage.

“Lieutenant Tor you are here by promoted to the rank of Commander and given complete control of fleet air forces. Sorry Gunner it took awhile for the paper work to catch up to us on this one. Congratulations son.”

“Thank you sir.” he snapped off a salute as the Sarge replaced his rank insignias on his collar. A quick round of applause came from the crowd. “Quiet down you maggots, Corporal Tristen Karn step forward.” the Sarge bellowed. Tristen unwrapped his arms from around Jas and went to stand beside Kayleth.

“For bravery above and beyond the call of duty Cpl Karn you are here by promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.“

Tristen saluted as the Sarge placed the new rank on his green shirt “Thank you sir.“ he said.

“Wipe that idiot grin off your face.” the Sarge whispered under his breath.
    “Tristen you are also awarded the Caladon Cross of Idiocy for being stupid enough to charge a fixed heavy gun emplacement without telling your training sergeant. Next time you try something that dumb everyone will get to hit you and not just your girlfriend.”

Tristen grin got wider as the Sarge pinned a large hastily constructed cross on his chest. “Understood sir.” and that caused the crowd to chuckle uncontrollably.

“Flight Officer Harmon step forward.” Hammer looking pale and fragile was helped towards the front of the crowd; Tank was hovering not far behind. Her left arm was in a sling and its dark blue color contrasted with her simple white dress.

“Flight Officer Harmon I award you my own personal citation, the live to fight again award. As the first member of the fleet to offer up your star fighter to the cause you have shown the way for the rest of your shipmates and set the standard to survive no matter what. We salute you.”

She stood a little taller as nearly 13,000 of her ship mates saluted her. The Sarge pinned a small blue and red ribbon to her sling and bent to whisper into her ear. Tank came forward to let her lean on him and thus was able to make it through the final few awards. As promised the captain made it as short as possible and then addressed the assembled crowd again.

“You men and women have made me proud these last few months, enjoy this night, enjoy each other’s company, we never know how long we have in this life.”

He stepped off the stage and melted into a group of friends nearby as the crowd broke up. The band began to play again and the party continued. As hour or so later the captain sat by himself on a balcony overlooking the dance floor, the shadows hiding him from view and allowing him to watch his people as the party continued. Tristen was laughing loudly dodging half-hearted punches from Mother. Gunner seemed to be lost in deep conversation with a beautiful red head he didn’t recognize. The Sarge was talking with a few of his marines as they played cards. Everyone seemed happy.

“Your men seem to love you Captain.”

“Yes they do, don’t they?” he stood up and turned around “Captain Valek Garion at your service.”

“Captain Ulnaaca formerly of the Heart of Arkanis. The Sergeant said it would be all right if I surrendered to you after your security cleared us. I’m sorry to have disturbed your celebration sir.”

“Nonsense the party is over for me, just enjoying some peace and quiet. Please sit.” he motioned towards the chair next to his. He signaled the marine guard that they could back off.

“Thank you sir, you are too kind. If I may I have a question for you.”

“Ulnaaca you would be doing me a favor if you called me Captain or Val, I don’t stand much on ceremony.”

“Alright Captain, I am curious have we met before?”

“It is possible, you don’t seem familiar but I was stationed on Courscant during the last two years of the war.”

“I served at the Republic’s Fleet academy for almost twenty years before the Clone Wars and saw very little action outside of the Battle of Courscant.”

“That was some tough work, no I started out as a lowly shuttle pilot before the Republic’s losses got so that they were getting short on pilots. Then I was flying the rescue Larti’s with the Nova Corps, the clones troopers and pilots were suspicious of non clone, non Jedi troops so I had to earn my place. That was before I was flying a desk at Republic procurement."

“What happened?"

“Got too close to a turbolaser blast on my way to pick up some wounded in a hot LZ. Clipped the right wing and sent it spinning into the cockpit. Lost my right hand and my left eye as well as some of my hearing on the left side, they patched me up as best they could but figured desk work was a better use of my time then flying.”

“That does not seem an honorable way to end a life of service to the Republic, but then again we seldom choose the path we find ourselves on. I wanted nothing more than to teach others how to fly starships and yet I find myself a prisoner in yet another war I did not want to fight.”

“Fate has a strange way of working around here Ulnaaca don’t be surprised at what comes your way.”

“What is to become of me and my men Captain?”

“I’m not sure Ulnaaca. I have a lot on my plate right now but at least consider yourself and your men as guests and not prisoners. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Thank you Captain”

The two opposing Captains sat in silence and watched as the party continued.