main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ya Bampot!

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by MOTs_Minx, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Scottish words and phrases that totally dumfound our neighboughrs south of the border.

Going for the messages cracks Jon up totally.

2. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    LOL! Really?!

I gave Sam a lesson on the phone once

I've got heaps of them

3. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Its stoatin' is another one when its raining heavily.

4. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    Another good one for rain is "chucking it doon". I remember when I worked in Customs & Excise a French girl came to reception with a very wet umbrella and a colleague commented "Is it still chucking it doon oot there doll?".

Followed by a very French blank look!

5. westford

westford Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Spent many an amusing hour at uni trying to teach southerners to say mingin properly. Well, in a Scottish accent - suppose they were saying it properly, pronouncing the g's and everything...

6. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    I suppose one of the best examples is: Neds and Hairies (pronounced Herries of course).

Trying to explain what they were to Jon was funny. Last time we were in Glasgow I had to take him on a mission to find a typical example of a ned and a hairie.

LOL

7. Embra

Embra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2001
    I always mind calling things that are good 'barry!' or 'brand new' (as in 'That's brand new, so it is!').

M'lady called someone a 'wee clipe' at work down here in Yorkshire, causing all work to cease for the day while others insisted on learning new words and phrases from back home.

8. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    LMAO....clipe. What a flamin excellent word.

I must endeavour to use that one more often, ma muckers.

I've never heard of a "barry" before.

Must be an embra thing ;)

9. Embra

Embra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2001
    Embra in the mid 1970's, to be exact. I think it also turned up in 'Looking After Jo-Jo', so it's not just me who remembers it!

I also recall that being called a 'Duncan' was also a playground insult back in my primary school days. Where it came from I have no idea. Anyone else remember that one?

10. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    I vaguely remember Duncan. Dinna hae a clue aboot neds and hairies though ?[face_plain]

11. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Don't they have neds and herries in Aeberdeen, Andy?

Never heard of a Duncan. A Deacon, yes. But a Duncan, no.

Did yous say "yopton" when yous wanted to grass someone up in primary school? Point your finger at the person and chant "yopton, yopton, somebody somebody's yopton!"?

12. westford

May 25, 2002
    We said yopton at school and I never knew why...

Does anyone else say ding-ied? (Dunno how you're meant to spell it, that's as close as I could get...)

13. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    aye
    a 'dingy' is when someone deliberately ignores someone they know..

as in : "did you see that? that wee cow pure dingied me"

one very common Scottish dialect thing I've never been able to use in conversation is the insertion of the word "no" at the end of every sentence..
    many of ma pals fae Coatbridge talk like that, no, but ah canny bring maself to talk like that, no, becase it just disny make sense.....

I presume its an extreme contraction of "is it not?", in the sense of "do you agree?".... but most people who use it just stick it everywhere there should be a full stop.

14. westford

May 25, 2002
    They do that with like in some places too. Know whit ah mean, like?

15. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    //turns nose up

We didn't talk like that in Chateau du Lait. We used only the Queen's English!

LOL

16. PadawanSDM

Sep 27, 2000
    Of course in Fife and East Central Scotland no-one remembers anyone else's name and call them all Ken.
    "Aye, ah wis at the fitba Ken and when Celtic scored their 3rd ah thought, aye ra Gers urnae so hot today, Ken?"

And Andy, I've seen a few hairies in Aberdeen!

17. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    Padawan SDM...
    ::: waves hand in Jedi manner :::
    remember your commitment to "Star Wars in Glaswegian".........
    :D

18. PadawanSDM

Sep 27, 2000
    SDM wanders in and mumbles incoherently..."this isn't the thread I'm looking for...I want to type Glaswegian"

19. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    "Ken" also extends to the north east. I use it all the time. See also "I Dinna Ken"

Fit the flyin fudge is a hairy?!

20. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    A herry is a female ned, Andy.

21. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Ok, excuse me for asking, but what the heck is a "ned" anyways? I sort of have an idea, but it's not all that clear.

22. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Neds are usually job-dodgers who wear the most expensive clothes cuz they're claiming every benefit known to man and hang around street corners and bus stops drinking a variety of cheap wines and ciders. Sometimes they partake in halucinogens and other recreational things too ;)

They hurl abuse at anyone and everyone and are, in my opinion, the scum of the earth.

23. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I think I've envisioned that....but there really isn't a type of person around here like that. Oh well if you take into consideration high school kids who's mommies or daddies buy them everything they want, driving decently fancy cars...a lot nicer than my old one...or soup them up and they look atrocious.
    Yeah sometimes I think they're the scum of the earth too ;)

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    My favourite lines come from Aberdeen.

Far d'ya bide min ?
    Fit ya dee'n loon ?
    Heymin, fit's iss a aboot?

My fav word ever was "laldy" but I don't think thats how to spell it. Means to give something loads of effort eg "see it here min, and I'll gee it laldy"

Did anyone ever read that email of Star Wars translated into Glasweign Scottish ? It really made me laugh, and I'd appreciate anyone who could post it on here :)

All I remember properly was a line from Darth Vader as he was shooting at looks X-wing at the end of ANH. The line did say "the force is strong with this one", which in the translation went :

"Stop shoogling ya wee b**tard"

made me laugh

M

25. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    I've heard of quite a few of them of course its harder for me to read this than listen to it yet I have trouble reading english at the best of times :p
    **makes a run for it out the thread**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.