main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yaddle: A blow to Yoda's "uniqueness"?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ticopuma, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    When we first watched ESB, we see Yoda, an old, wise, and powerful Jedi Master. He's the only one of his species, that we know pretty much nothing about. He becomes this special character because he?s so old and powerful, but really because he?s the only of his species that we see and know nothing about. Then in TPM, we see Yaddle, who is the same species as Yoda.

Does having Yaddle in the PT take away from the "uniqueness" we saw in Yoda when ESB came out?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    We still don't know what species Yoda is and were he came from so adding Yaddle just adds to the mystery :)

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nah, it takes nothing away. It just adds more. We now know for sure that he's not a one-of-a-kind alien.

4. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Yes. For me, Yaddle is the only thing about the entire saga that I am truly negative about. No good came from it. It was just a shocking idea.

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Yep.

Utterly assinine idea IMO. Always hated it; probably always will. I always felt that Yoda should be unique -- at least in as much as we are shown. But that's no longer the case. What's more, the fact that this puppet was obviously meant to appeal female, with longer hair and such, practically rendered the Jedi Council a parody. This is one of several ideas put into the prequels that -- again, in my opinion -- sucks as much on paper as it does in execution. Absolutely hideous from top to bottom.

6. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005

So should Obi-Wan's lightsaber have been unique? Does the fact that Han uses it kill the mystique?

7. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    Perhaps it would have ruined the mystique of Yoda if Yaddle had been more of a game player in the Saga. However, Yaddle wasn't a major or really even minor part in the Prequels. So I don't really mind seeing her in the movie, but that doesn't mean I like her. I don't like Yaddle because she was only there because George Lucas thought it would be cool to see another Yoda.

8. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    How dare he do something he thought would be neat? Without that train of thought, SW would be utterly boring.

I've never seen her on screen so I don't really care.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It didn't bother me because it would be foolish to think that Yoda was the only one of his kind in the Galaxy. Yoda never said that he was the only one, so I naturally assumed that there were more of his species in the galaxy. Yaddle did nothing to stop Yoda from being unique in my book.

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I think she only added to the mystery of Yoda and his species. I didn't think she got enough screentime to really be a bother or take anything away from Yoda.

11. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    Just because George Lucas thinks something is neat doesn't mean I have to like it. Right? Its a movie. There is something in every single movie produced that there's not something we don't like. Ticopuma asked us what we thought, I said what I thought about the subject.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So..a character that you have to freeze-frame to get a direct shot of and has no lines somehow takes away from Yoda? Righto.

13. Gungan_Sith

Gungan_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    No, Yaddle is only a minor background character. Yoda is still the only character of his species with dialogue.

14. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    When we first watched ANH, we see Chewbacca, a hairy, large, and powerful Wookiee. He's the only one of his species, that we know very little about. He becomes this special character because he?s so large and hairy, but really because he?s the only of his species that we see and know very little about. Then in TPM, we see the Wookiee senators, and in ROTS, we see countless Wookiee warriors, who are the same species as Chewbacca.

Does having other Wookiees in the PT take away from the "uniqueness" we saw in Chewbacca when ANH came out?

15. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Very good point, Yoda Jeff [face_dancing]

~*~*~*Anakin_Darth~*~*~*

16. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    My question is this: Why doesn't anyone know what species Yoda is? Yoda obviously was discovered by the Jedi, which means his home planet was known, right? Otherwise, they wouldn't have discovered him...SO, then, was Yoda's home planet erased from all records like Kamino, or, did Luke just not bother trying to trace it?

17. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Most people didn't even know about Yaddle. They either didn't notice her, thought it was just some short alien, or confused her for Yoda. I thought she was cool looking.

18. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Just because George Lucas thinks something is neat doesn't mean I have to like it. Right? Its a movie. There is something in every single movie produced that there's not something we don't like.

I didn't say you had to. But your argument against Yaddle seemed to be that Lucas' only reason for putting her in was that he thought it was neat.
    You don't have to like Yaddle at all. Like I said, I don't care one way or another about her. I was just curious as to why Lucas putting things in for a 'neat' factor was suddenly bad.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Maybe Yoda seeked out the Jedi before they started placing age restrictions on who should be trained. It's possible that Yoda's race don't like to leave their planet and tend to stay isolated from the galaxy and that is the reason why no one really knows what species they are.

20. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Overall, I think it was good Lucas put in Yaddle. In fact it explains the "uniqueness" of Yodas species. Did you in any possible way think Yaddle was sexy ?????? :p

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm sure everyone in the GFFA knows. They just haven't bothered to inform the rest of us. :p

22. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    The thing about Yoda for me is that we know very little about him. He is mysterious. That gives him a kind of omnipotent quality. It also keeps his individuality.

Thats always been a strong point about Yoda - that he was a little green frog who was the most unlikely of heroes. Its the theme - "no matter who you are or what you look like, you can be as important, as strong and as successful as anyone else".

Stick another 'Yoda' in there and he loses part of that quality. Thankfully, Yaddle was ditched after TPM and I had all but forgotten her...until now.

Logic and science tells us that there is more than one of his species. But story wise and theme wise we sure as hell didn't have to see it. It was detrimental to Yoda. Thats all she did - demeen Yoda's character. Not enough to worry about, but even so, enough to make me regurgitate my cornflakes.

I just can't see anything positive Yaddle brings. Only negativity. I'm not talking "end of the saga" negativity. Im just saying that out of everything in the saga, for me Yaddle was just a complete travesty.

23. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    The same is for Vandar Tokare from the K.O.T.O.R series.i liked his character and shows Yodas species as being in the order for thousands of years :)

24. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I didn't think it was necessary. But it's not like Yaddle was given a bunch of lines and a bunch of scenes. She was just an extra, but a puppet. So for me it's not a big deal.

25. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

Why did I immediately imagine something inappropriate when I read the title of this thread?

[face_plain]

[face_mischief]

[face_sick]

[face_shame_on_you]

[face_beatup]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.