main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yaddle: A blow to Yoda's "uniqueness"?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ticopuma, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

Yep. You can put my name on that list with you and Shaitan.

I still haven't found an answer worth reading:
    How can there be Yoda, Yaddle and Vadar... with no mention of their species?

And, as I posted before, the definition of uniqueness is to be one of a kind... so based upon the definition alone, Yaddle RUINS Yoda's uniqueness, but does nothing to demean him.

2. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    I really despised Yaddle when I first saw her, now I have come to a kind of acceptance of sorts, though I still don't like her. It took me a while to come to this state of acceptance, but I realized she wasn't going to go away. I thought it took away from Yoda's uniqueness, as stated in this thread. I wish they had never added her, she's so ugly and disfigured, and also the same species as Yoda. I was accepting of Vandar, but Yaddle was just crazy-looking in my opinion and really took away from Yoda's mystique.

3. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    i'm glad yaddle was there, yoda should not be so unique.

something has to pop the ballon on yoda so to speak.

so many people who post on this board worship yoda so much they can't realized that his character changes and develops between trilogies.

yoda of the PT is in many ways responsible for the republic & jedi's falls.

yoda of the OT is wiser and has learned a great deal, changing his philosophy to nearly exactly qui-gon's and is able to train luke to save the galaxy.

that's yoda's victory, it's his legacy.

so what if he went 0-1-1 in lightsaber duels in the PT and never won one, in the end his wisdom won the war if not any battles.

4. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Well, we're all entitled to our opinions. My opinion is that Yoda's character was based a lot on his uniqueness. Malikail, your statement on Yoda's responsibility makes it seem like it was mostly if not all Yoda's fault the Jedi Order's downfall. In my opinion, Yoda was one of the least responsible for the Jedi's fall, it would seem obvious that Anakin is the most responsible for the Jedi's downfall besides Sidious. Yoda, it seemed, never completely believed in the prophecy of the 'Chosen One' who was most responsible for the destruction of the Jedi. He doubted the prophecy, in ROTS he makes this clear in his discussion with Obi-Wan and Mace in a Republic Gunship. Also, I didn't see many other Jedi do as good a job as Yoda in preventing the Jedi's downfall. Yoda confronted the Emperor, and disarmed him in his duel, then was thrown off a senate pod while Sidious barely held on. He didn't lose the duel, as many think.

5. Malikail

Jun 17, 2004
    thanks for proving my point, your final sentence is exactly what i'm talking about and why i like Yaddle.

6. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Your welcome, although contrary to your thoughts, I did no such thing. I'm guessing your talking about users worshipping Yoda, but I don't see what's wrong with stating that Yoda didn't lose the duel, that proves nothing. An argument considering Yoda vs. Sidious in ROTS could go either way. It's an opinion, and as I stated before, people are entitled to their opinions. You can believe that Yoda lost that duel and I believe Yoda didn't lose, but that does not mean that I worship Yoda.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

I agree with you about Yoda, even as Grand-Master of the Jedi Order, he was just as guilty of arrogance, self-absorbtion and being complacent. He was too content to meditate on things instead of taking a more pro-active approach. I would think that his disagreement with the Council about training Skywalker in the first place would be reason to enough to keep a watchful eye on him. Not to mention that Kenobi was a noobie-Jedi-knight.

That is like allowing a hospital janitor perform an open-heart surgery.

It wasn't ALL Yoda's fault. But look at a few of the facts:
    The Council (which Yoda was the head of) allowed for Anakin to intern at the Chancellor's office.
    Obi-Wan warned Yoda and Mace about the arrogance that his Padawan was exhibiting. Yoda (basically) blew him off.
    Anakin went to Yoda for guidance, and was given the company line. Instead of seeking more info to increase his own understanding of Anakin's mindset, he took the easy route. "Recite the code, boy... that's all you need."

After 800 years, I would hope one would have a clue on how to be a good mentor.

Yoda didn't lose to Sidious? OK, I can live with that, because Yoda got ONE Force push in, and was even draw with the saber. (But) When it came to the Force he was only able to do so much while Sidious seemed to get stronger as the fight wore on.

Sidious was like Sugar-Ray Leonard, and Yoda was Roberto Duran...

Yoda CRAWLED away thinking, "No Mas... No Mas..."

There was no clear cut winner, but clearly Yoda conceded the fight.

You can tell by my Sig, who I thought was the stronger of the two.
    And this may shock you, Yoda is one of my favorite characters.[face_thinking]

8. Malikail

Jun 17, 2004
    yoda is the man because yoda changes grows and adapts.

one interesting retcon that the PT gave is a new meaning to yoda telling luke about sacraficing Han and Leia "if you honor what they fight for, yes."

i think the meant that if he had it to do over he would not have saved Kenobi and Skywalker when Dooku droped the pillar at the end of AotC.

Yoda let the sith lord go, catching him would have meant ending the clone wars, probably discovering who Sidious was and very likely saving and preserving the Jedi order.

how many innocents died because he saved those two and let dooku escape? not counting the jedi?

not to mention Yoda single handedly started the clone wars by invading Geonosis with the clones.

but his entire philosophy changed from the PT to the OT, that's why i love yoda, he grows and changes.

for the record he went 0-1-1 in duels in the PT, he fought a draw with dooku and lost to sidious.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

=D=

When you put it in those terms, brilliant!
    Yoda messed it up, then got it right the second time around.

10. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Besides that last sentence (which I'll just ignore for now) I agree wholeheartedly with your statements. Although I would like it if you'd clarify one thing for me. I thought it was the council's decision, not Yoda's, to lead a strike team to Geonosis to save Kenobi and Anakin (as well as Padme'). I don't recall that Yoda was the one to make the decision, what is the truth on that matter?

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda and Mace both agreed to go to Geonosis. They and the Council had already discussed this. Done so after viewing Obi-wan's transmission and hearing that an emergency session of the Senate was scheduled within an hour. The Council had their own meeting and agreed to go to Geonosis, based on the outcome of the vote in the Senate. Both Jedi Masters discuss how to proceed with Yoda going to check out Kamino and Mace going to the rescue.

12. Malikail

Jun 17, 2004
    exactly right, i have always believed, based soley on the film that Yoda must have sensed the danger the jedi were in on Geonosis and brought the clones to save them.

i assume Yoda took the time to inform Palpantine, who of course would support it, but Yoda definately didn't talk to any other council members before mobilizing the army.

it's implied that Yoda was going to see if the clones were worthy of using when he talks to mace in the senate.

however Mace's tone indicates he's taking what jedi they have in order to try to save kenobi and "deal" with the situation.

I don't see it implied that the jedi or Mace can count on yoda bringing the clones to back them up, however i guess it's possible.

This is yoda, i contend in the other thread that he no longer leads the council but it's not because he's not worthy of it, he is trusted and so is his judgment.

it just so happens that he's wrong about some things, that doesn't take away from the character because he's smart and wise enough to learn from his mistakes, actually it adds to the character.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    =D=

This is why I came to TFN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.