main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yavin

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by oren_monash, Jul 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oren_monash

oren_monash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    It has long annoyed me about Yavin at the end of ANH.
    Why the hell didn't Tarkin just blow up Yavin instead of coming around the planet, thus giving the rebels more time for an attack. I think it was a good job he was on board the death star when it blew. Someone that Stupid doesn't deserve to be in charge of an empire.
    Anyone agree?

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Nope, I don't agree. The extra time makes the victory that much more dramatic.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You realize he would have had to of shot throught a gas planet, don't you? That could very well screw up the aim of the Death Star and cause them to miss the moon completly, thus making the Empire look bad and forcing them to wait a very long time to reload.

Another reason is because Tarkin relied on fear of force for control, and by making the Rebels have an extra thirty minutes of life, he extended that fear.

4. oren_monash

oren_monash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    To what end? He died. Vader had it right when he spoke about putting too much faith in this technological terror that has been constructed. Implanting fear is all well and good, but giving a bunch of fanaticals a chance is just asking for trouble. I mean would you stick your chin out and let someone take a swing at it? No matter how big you are, if someone hits you hard enough or in the right spot your'e hitting the floor.

I know it's a film and all but it has always bothered me. Evan Tarkins men realised there was a danger, why couldn't he.
    I agree abou the gas planet part and all but surely they could fire from far enough back not to be affected by the blast.

5. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Yeah, Tarkin was overconfident and cocky, but the only real mistakes were not evacuating and not sending out the Death Star's full compliment of TIEs to meet the Rebel fighters.

The Death Star had to go round Yavin in order to hit Yavin 4. For that matter, as Errant said, shooting through the gas giant would have wildly distorted the beam, causing the shot to miss the moon and the Death Star #1 had a recharge time of hours, unlike its decendant which had one of a matter of minutes. Thus, instead of half an hour, the Rebels would have had time enough to leisurely wander off, making sure that they had all their equipment and even that the taps weren't still running. :p

And blowing up a gas giant would take a hell of a lot more energy than the Death Star had. Blowing up Earth-sized chunks of rock is simple in comparison.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Well, he could've blown up Yavin and the moon, but we wouldn't have any movies after that point. Would we?

7. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Gas planets aren't whispy clouds all the way thorough. They become extremely dense at the core.

Supposedly it takes a long time for the main weapon of the death star I to recharge after firing. So he only had one shot at it.

8. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    Why didn't Wedge drop back into the trench behind Vader and kill him. Why didn't the Rebels Evacuate Yavin. It doesn't really matter. Just watch and enjoy.

But to answer the question properly, I agree that the long reload meant there was only one shot at it, and that shooting through the planet would probably have mucked up their aiming.

9. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    The Empire, in all its glory, is just plain stupid!

ANH: Like said before, they should have evacuated and/or send out a ton of Ties to quickly eradicate the Rebel Attack, stupid!

ESB: During Hoth, when the Rebels are evacuating how many Ties do you see in space? Zip. What happens, the Majority of the Rebels get away. The Destroyers are immobilized. Once again, stupid.

ROTJ: There not really stupid here, just weak. If a bunch of Teddy Bears can take down the Empire's Troops then that is just wrong.Tisk,Tisk,Tisk.

10. FleetAdmiralWolf

FleetAdmiralWolf Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2003
    The Star Wars movies are hero movies. I try not to look at them too realistically.

11. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    I think u guyz think so much. Juz watch it and enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.