main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yay! cbjedi's the new (well, kinda..) JCC mod!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    cb, I've got nothing against you. From what I've seen, you're a helluva good mod. But you haven't been active in YJCC. If that changes, great, we'll be good to go. For the moment, though, it's slightly perplexing.

2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    DA said that rather than promote someone with no experience they wanted someone seasoned.

?[face_plain]

That wasn't the reason for the promotion, exactly. We wanted someone who could do the job. As a group, and the Community forum moderators in particular, felt that you were an immediate choice. It wasn?t that we wanted someone with experience as opposed to promoting someone who is unseasoned. At the end of the thread in the Mod Squad discussing adding a new Community moderator, we had decided that we were going to continue discussing adding someone new.

I think that it?s supposed to be me or KnightWriter who posts the new thread ? he?s copied the original thread, and so can summarize the relevant points, and I have some other relevant information. We just haven?t gotten around to it, because there?s no great rush. We would be perfectly happy to - and probably will be perfectly happy to - add someone to the Mod Squad who doesn?t have experience moderating here.

We were always looking at the possibility of bringing in more than one person. You were brought in because we knew that you were a great moderator, and could do the job well. But last I looked in the old thread, we were still looking at bringing in new blood. You happened to be really convenient, but there was never any decision to promote someone with experience over someone without. There were a lot of people saying ?I wish that we could have cbjedi back,? but no one said that what we needed was an experienced moderator (and KnightWriter has the saved copies of threads to prove it ;)).

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"hopefully by the end of next week we'll have a new YJCC policy in place."

See... that's part of the problem. The current mods keep trying to make policies rather than simply modding based on the TOS and the mandate of a family-friendly JC. Another issue that many people have brought up is that they appear to be very non-participatory in the JCC as a whole. They post in only a few threads, if they post at all. Most other posts are administrative in nature.

So these mods, who don't participate in the forum very much, try to create new policies. But they choose poorly. They don't know the Community well enough to do that effectively. And they seem either unwilling or incapable of simply moderating according to the standards I just cited.

So that's why your selection is so stunning, Clayton. You haven't participated very much either, and you just said that you want a new policy for the JCC. The "policy" is what's wrong with the JCC. You just should moderate and make reasonable judgements.

And to compound the issue, you want a new policy very soon, but you just said that you have a lot of catching up to do. Any number of others could have stepped right in and made an immediate difference, because they have been participating daily for a months and months.

That's why this seems so unreasonable to a lot of us.

Please don't think you need to defend yourself on this at all. I think you're a good guy. What I and others are questioning is the decision-making process. It seemed to overlook some pretty intuitive answers.

AYBABTU?

4. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    And no, I'm not trying to be over critical of the current YJCC mods. I know what they're up against and I know that they're just trying to compromise and make as many people happy as possible. I think we've got a pretty decent team in place, and once we're all on the same page everything well run smoother. Again, I doubt that everyone will be happy, but we will do all we can.

For the most part, I agree with that. But sometimes it's necessary to do something to instill a sense of drive - motivation, if you will - in your fellow mods. I'm not accusing them of not doing their jobs, and in fact, it's hardly fair of me to say that because I haven't been around much in the past month, but it's not hard to see that the YJCC is in dire need of moderation.

Not to the YJCC mods's discredit, but I see non-YJCC mods in YJCC just as much, if not more, than the YJCC mods themselves. I commend those mods for taking the time to visiting YJCC, and easing the YJCC's burden to at least a very minor extent. But ultimately, it's in the YJCC mods' hands to clean up the majority of messes, after all, it's their territory.

You're a great choice, cb, regardless of forum. I feel very honored to consider you a friend, and I can genuinely sense plenty of initiative in you - the initiative to maintain the peace in YJCC. I know you can do it. :)

5. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    hay, what happened to J-Trick and her Community reforms ?[face_plain] :cool:

6. NadaDevotchka

NadaDevotchka Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Why would someone who doesn't participate in a particular forum be made a moderator of that forum?

That's like making me a policeman in New Zealand.

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Intuitive answers?

You imagine perhaps Kadue settlign into his bathub(lets pretend he's wearing a bathing suit for the sake of the squemish) and then shouting 'Eureka' then running to the computer?

Hm.

And I don't think anyone seriously wants moderating based solely on the TOS. Give CB the chance fail miserably before questioning his ability to suceed.

For my part I know if he manages to get all the JCC mods on the same page it will be a major step in the right direction.

Best of luck.

8. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    hay, what happened to J-Trick and her Community reforms?

She voluntarily gave up her YJCC responsibilities and took over as Fan Sites mod, if I'm not mistaken.

9. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Why would someone who doesn't participate in a particular forum be made a moderator of that forum?

That's like making me a policeman in New Zealand.

Well, he did admit that he lurks regularly in YJCC. Perhaps he'll open up more as a mod.

10. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    "That's like making me a policeman in New Zealand."

Or like letting Ozma post in Comms!

11. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

1. I just wanted to clarify that this isn't about you. This is solely about an Administrative decision that on the surface makes no sense at all. It puts you in a tough place because you aren't at fault in any way, but the discussion needs to take place anyway.

2. I just made some judgements based on your comment for needing a "new policy." That's the problem. Why not just moderate?

3. I find it odd that the two mods that approached you aren't Community mods and one of them hardly ever posts in the Community forum. It surprises me that DarthAttorney's personal wishes would influence the decision so significantly.

4. Again, the only "difference" needed from a mod in the JCC is the ability to moderate effectively and not arbitrarily. Anyone reasonable person who participates regularly should be able to do that.

5. Heh... it must have been sub-conscious. I saw someone say your name earlier in this thread, and it just stick with me. No offense intended at all.

AYBABTU?

12. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "It surprises me that DarthAttorney's personal wishes would influence the decision so significantly. "

Several of the current JCC mods expressed an interest in seeing cbjedi come back to moderate the forum with them early on in the conversation. Another mod and I went to him (seperately might I add) and discussed the idea, to which he agreed. I announced the good news in MS and everyone seemed pleased with his repromotion.

It's a simple story with a happy ending.

:)

Edit: Just to clarify that, I announced cb's wish to come back and everyone seemed pleased with it, then the promotion went ahead. I didn't take any steps to promote him myself, Kadue handled everything from that side.

13. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    I suppose as long as Ms J-Trick is still up in the hizzy it doesn't matter where she mods.

14. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Now is the perfect time to tell you that I love you cbjedi.

The JC just wasn't the same without you.
    Maybe I did let my personal feelings get in the way but if love is a crime.....dammit I'm guilty.

:p
    ;)

15. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    DA!

:eek:

I don't think the JC is ready for this kind of revelation.

16. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    If I didn't know better I'd think you were trying to ruin cb's reputation as a good and trustworthy mod, Attorney.

17. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    so am i still allowed to post in jcc?

18. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
  19. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I like this. Well done Cb, I have every confidence that you'll do your job well.

And if you dont, you're in my firing line ;)

20. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    That's two color changes in one day. Never have I seen such a blatant abuse of e-power by an e-ctizen! I demand an inquiry!

21. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    i demand a sammich.

22. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    What kind of sammich? Ham, cheese, or or peanut butter & jelly?

23. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    that'll do.

24. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    It seems slightly strange that the administration chose to promote someone who has to now do some serious catch up work, rather than someone who knows it all already, has an opinion, and can help out....

but congrats cbjedi i'm sure you'll do a good job :)

btw, i always take great pride in how drama here usually quickly descends into sammich talk. :p

25. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Congratulations cbjedi ;) (I feel such an idiot posting as last)

You'll do a good job and don't do stuff I would do as a mod ;) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.