main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Yay for you guys!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by BrotherHalo, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Hey! I just read in the Starwars.com Homing Beacon about the rumor that a Star Wars Bus is making its way out to C3!

You still planning on this, Linda?

2. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Oh crap! I thought for sure they would have cancelled that. I "killed" the bus a week ago, and nearly killed myself in the process. I'm gonna have to inform them its not possible now.

Bob, can you copy/paste that Homing Beacon in a PM or email it to me? I was thinking of buying a new bus rather than putting $5,000 into a new engine for a 25 year old bus.. but I think I am out of time. I hate having to let Mary Franklin down, and the people I was going to give a ride to, and the people I was going to haul armor over there for... Shawn Crosby, Katie Horn, and the rest of Road Squadron... *sigh*

3. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Mara_Jade_Fan posted on 4/7/05 12:19pm
    Oh crap! I thought for sure they would have cancelled that. I "killed" the bus a week ago, and nearly killed myself in the process. I'm gonna have to inform them its not possible now.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Are we going to have a funeral for the bus? :(

4. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, lets burn the sucker... I don't know what to do with the bus really. Suggestions? It doesn't run, not with a HUGANTIC hole in the engine. It would have to be towed somewhere... and like I said, I'd rather buy a new bus for $5,000, than spend that much to put a new engine in the old bus. It has been sitting at the Chevy dealership in Mission Valley since Brendan and Emperor Susie rescued me last week.

Brendan found a place to put a new engine in it, but the time factor is the problem.

Someone shoot me, I've had a tough couple of weeks. *cries*

5. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    There there. :(

6. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Star Wars Cars: An entire squadron -- Road Squadron that is -- will dock at Celebration III in the Fan Fair Hall. In addition to the customized Star Wars cars that will be driven to Indianapolis from all over the United States, it's rumored that a Star Wars bus will come from San Diego. Road Squadron members will be in the Hall to answer questions about the methods -- sometimes surprisingly simple -- that they use to get their cars to look as cool as they do.

That's a big oops if you killed the bus MJF! Oh well.. perhaps no one will remember.

7. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    That's a big oops if you killed the bus MJF! Oh well.. perhaps no one will remember.

I'll remember... *sigh*

8. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Thanks for getting back to her, JediRacer. I was out this afternoon for a while...

I'm sorry to hear about the bus!

9. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    man, that sucks... about the car dying

10. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    sorry to hear about that Linda..luckily you're ok!!!

*moment of silence for the bus*

11. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Linda, fyi there was a charity group that was interested in buying the bus. I told them they needed to wait til after C3 and possibly til after Ep3 premiere, but I'll see if they still want it w/o motor.

How long did Rick's say it would take to put a new motor (or used motor) in and get her running? Did you mention what it was for when you talked to them? They might be willing to put a high priority on getting it done quick if they could get some free advertising out of it?

12. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Linda, I am so sorry about the bus. But I am very glad that you are OK. That could have been really bad.

13. JediNyt

JediNyt Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    It's not your fault Linda. I hope C3 understands that the bus just died and we couldn't do anything about it.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Just tell them that the bus became one with the Force. :)

15. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Okay, here is the story where I almost became one with the Force as well...

Last week I got the scare of my life. I was driving the Star Wars bus up to LA to Shawn Crosby's house (of H-Wing Road Squadron fame) to have him put seats in it, and have it completely redone inside and out before I drove it to Celebration III per Mary Franklin's request. Well... I was only underway for about 30 minutes when I got into a little trouble. I was on the 805 headed north and going about 65-70 mph... all of a sudden the engine started sounding different, and black smoke entered the bus, then all of a sudden the engine died and the brakes and steering wheel locked. Here it was around 5pm, nearly rush-hour traffic, and I was going downhill on the freeway at over 65mph without brakes or steering. (I had just passed University and was headed toward the bridge over Mission Valley going downhill.)I started praying like crazy and was practically standing on the brake (there is no seat belt on the driver's seat so I stood up) and was trying to get it to stop but of course it didn't work. I don't know how I managed to NOT hit anything with all the traffic that was present and without being able to brake or steer, there was no emergeny brake on the bus. But I crossed the bridge over Mission Valley and then the freeway begins to go up after that and it stopped on its own on the other side of the bridge. I was shaking when I called the tow company to come pick it up. Turns out there was a huge hole in the engine and it was leaking both oil and antifreeze.. threw a rod I guess. The bus hadn't been driven for a while, and it is 25 years old, so I am told that was probably the reason. Now I am having second thoughts of investing $5,000 in an engine for a 25 year old bus. I sure am glad though that it happened then, rather than half-way between here and Indianapolis. I hate letting people down though, as some wanted to ride with me, or have me haul their armor and gear to Celebration III. And now especially since LFL went and published that the bus would be there. *sigh* Anyway, I'm glad to still be here.

As soon as the bus stopped, I got out of the bus as I used to be a nurse and had plenty of patients who became vegetables, or paralyzed because they sat in their cars at the side of the road while waiting for a tow-truck, and got rear-ended. I called Brendan first and told him what happened. Brendan had been with me in Coronado to pick up the bus, jump the battery, and help me gas it up. Brendan suggested a tow truck company so then I called them. Then I called a friend of mine, told him what happened. Then I called Shawn Crosby and told him, but by that time the tow truck was already there. I only had to wait 15 minutes... niiiiice. He towed me to the Chevy dealership in Mission Valley which cost me $100, and the bus is still sitting there. There is club property in the bus, the only thing I removed from the bus is the R2-D2 dome as I figured that was the most valuable and desireable. Brendan and Susie, Jedi James, and some of their friends, took me out to dinner at a nice Chinese Buffet place afterwards. So, it was a good ending to a somewhat sad day.

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Glad to hear you're okay! If that had happened to me, I probably would have been freaking out a lot worse than it sounds like you did. :(

17. JediNyt

JediNyt Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    Sounds like the Force was with you. Not the bus though. Glad your alright. :) Quite an adventure. I'm sure LFL won't blame you now.

18. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Wow...after reading what happened! As much as I thought the bus was just the coolest thing ever, I am more glad that you are alright! Agreed, the Force was defintly with you on that trip. Just glad you are safe. Bus's and ships can be replaced...

<<glad your ok-type of hug>>

19. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    That is totally scarry!! Now I am even more glad that nothing happened to you! The bus is only a thing in the grand scheme of things. We can't replace you. I think the bus needs funeral rites and a fond farewell.

20. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Didn't MicDavis know someone in New Mexico who has a tank and likes to blow stuff up with it?

I keed, I keed... it would be far too costly to tow it out there, may as well put a motor in it at that point.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I know some Marines who'd be happy to blow stuff up... ;)

22. DarthArtimus

DarthArtimus Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2005
    MJ I am glad you didn't get hurt or worse. Sorry about the bus. Hopefully something good will come of this. The force is definately with you Jedi.

23. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Thank the maker you came out of that unscathed, Linda! the loss of a friend would've been more devastating than the loss of the bus...

24. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Wow... that was a scary story MJF.. I'm glad you're ok. wow.

25. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    ******* Okay guys, you are all Star Wars fans so I KNOW you have some great imaginations. I've been asked by Road Squadron to think up a fun story explaining WHY the Rogue Runner didn't make it to C3 this year. They are going to have pictures of the bus at C3 and want a fun story to go along with it.

Something along the lines of:

The "Rogue Runner" has suffered a reactor failure during a daring rescue mission on Ord Mantell. It has been captured by Imperial forces, and will probably not be recovered in time to display at C3.

Something like that. Can anyone help write up a fun little blurb? ************

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.