main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Yeah! AOTC at Omnimax

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DARTH_ANN, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CountBakufu

CountBakufu Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    I didn't take it that way, I am really excited for you guys to get the new equipment and I really appreciate it. Hopefully this means OMSI will start showing other full legnth features there.
    Good luck!

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I am SOOOOO there. See you at midnight!!!

Mr. K

3. DoubleBladedSaber

DoubleBladedSaber Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    When are folks planning on showing up this evening? I'll probably be arriving around 10.

4. darth_wigand

darth_wigand Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2002
    we ran a test last night, and it looks and sounds great. Seeing it on a curved dome takes a little getting used to, but it's cool. Also the action sequences can be a little bit of sensory overload, I mean there is a lot for anyone to see all at once. Overall though, I think it's great, and in my opinion the 20 minutes of editing makes the movie much better. See you guys tonight.

5. CountBakufu

Oct 10, 2001
    The plan is to meet up around 10pm, myself and the 501st will be there to start handing out the Lucasfilm merchandise so make sure you come up and get yours!
    See eveybody tonight, it's going to be great!

Darth Wigand - I bet it can be overwhelming at first but I am sure it will be a good thing. I for one am very anxious! :)
    Thanks for keeping us informed and stop by and see us tonight if you get a moment.

6. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    We're leaving now. My mom and I made me a Jedi costume and Rob (my little brother) has a Sith costume. We got cheap lightsabers, but we because they're cheap we can play with them! See you in a couple of hours! :D

-IJedi

7. CountBakufu

Oct 10, 2001
    well, last night was a big success! the midnight showing sold out and was told 60-70 were turned down becasue they were full, now that is fantastic!!!
    thanks to Imperial Jedi, and Bowen for showing upfrom the the group. Were there any other members from this board who made it?
    A few of you emailed me and said you were unable to make it and hopefully you'll be able to make it tonight because we onyl have a limited amount of Bantha Tracks left. If you want a Bantha Track but can't make it tonight, PM me and I'll keep one for you.

Also, if you made it last night let us know what you thought of the IMAX presentation of Attack of the Clones!

8. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    It was great! Some parts of the movie were so fast it was blurry. That was kinda an annoyance. They cut out a lot of scenes...both the ones I liked and ones I didn't. The atmosphere was great. Fun to watch. My number 1 complaint though isn't because of the movie, IMAX, or OMSI. It's just because I chose to go, but my complaint is that 4am is way too late for a bedtime! hehe, it was great, I'll be going again sometime with my mom who was working last night. ttyl

-IJedi

9. DeadAsADoorNailbiter

DeadAsADoorNailbiter Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Yay! I'm going at todays 4:00 showing! Anyone else?

10. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Well, if I can mosey up some dough and a ride, I might be going to the one at 4. most likely though I'll end up going to the 9 or 11:30 one. Can't wait to see it!

11. Thulium69

Thulium69 Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2002
    I arrived at OMSI early hoping to get a good spot in line and hoping to enjoy the pre-show activity. Well, I was a little TOO early, I would have been the very first in line, but I waited around until a few other people showed up before getting into line... ;)

The event and the presentation was incredible! I have to pity the people who didn't make it or were turned away. Star Wars: The Imax Experience was great, but there are only a few times in your life that you get to take part in Fanlore history.

Some people make jokes about us Star Wars geeks, but to me I think this event should have shut them up. After all, there can be nothing uncool about getting a chance to see the only Star Wars Edition Hummer in existence. Our local garrison of 'Troopers showing off their uniforms and just generally being good people. (Well, I think I saw some of them get a little aggressive with some Trekkers, but a Mind Trick or two always mellows them out)

As for the Imax Experience itself? I don't think you could ask for too much more! As has been stated, their is a bit of the 'fisheye' effect toward the edges that takes a little getting used to. (lightsabers that look like light-sicles anyone?) And sometimes the action onscreen is almost to fast to follow, but the overall effect is far beyond worthwhile. You really get the chance to experience Star Wars in a unique way. I was also able to notice (and see very clearly in this format) a lot of details that I couldn't find in previous viewings (like Luke's landspeeder at the Lars' homestead/Anakin's big scene)

As to the edits, I have to say I wholeheartedly approve. Not because I disliked the scenes that were cut, but because this edit worked and overall, I think it worked better than the original cut. It's akin to the waterfall scene in Episode I, it's an okay scene but the movie seems to work just as well or better without it.

I am definately planning to go again and I can't wait to develop some pictures! Anybody else who was there, I hope you enjoyed the experience as much as I did, and thanks for proving that Star Wars fans are the best fans!!! (Especially us Star Wars fans who are also Blazer fans. ;)

12. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well let me give my honest opinion about everything and you can decide how you feel about it, hehe.

I will give the pros and cons of it all, the entire experience and OMSI specifically, not just the general notion of AOTC IMAX (which would vary from theater to theater).

First, the good, the pros:

-It was a great experience, I had a lot of fun, and hey, winning that poster was sweet too, even if people don't believe someone could see the same movie 53 times in theaters, or 54 now. :) That's ok, I take it as a great compliment that most of those people could not even believe it, literally. I'm just like, "Sweet, haha," and the funny part is, despite that excessive viewing on my part, I still launched 5 Websites during the summer, grew my movie site, saw every other movie released except for two (Juwanna Mann and Powerpuff Girls), and had plenty of time to hang out with friends. So my 53 viewings really did not cut into my free time much at all, as summer is such an abundant resource of free time :)

-The detail on IMAX is INCREDIBLE. Parts of the movie I couldn't have seen and didn't see in the previous 53 viewings were all of the sudden there as they never had been before. I was very impressed with this and it made me be able to see details that I just didn't know existed.

-Sound was fantastic, second only to the Cinerma in Seattle for my personal experiences with AOTC. It was probably just as good as the Cinerama sound too, but I wouldn't know exactly as I'm just judging from what I heard.

Cons:

-Poor way to watch the movie for the first time, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen it once. In fact, to be honest, I would not recommend it to anyone who has seen the film less than 5 times. Or at least 3. The level of detail is TOO great, and you cannot see the entire screen, therefore you are seeing pieces of what happens, which would be way too confusing unless you already know what is happening. The worst way to see the movie for the first time, even behind normal 35mm projection. Digital projection is absolutely the best and will never, ever be challenged by disproportional, cut IMAX versions of a film. Digital is just superior, and a lot more expensive and convenient too (no 600 pound prints).

-Cut scenes were jarring and ruin the quality of the film for anyone who hasn't seen it many times. You guys, as fans, may think it's all well and good because you KNOW what happened in the cut scenes, but if you are able to sit back and analze the movie with the missing pieces, you will find and realize just as I have that it is a much worse, more confusing film without those scenes. Just for one, how are we to believe Anakin and Padme's love with an entire scene cut out?!?! It was ALREADY really brief and we already had to fill in pieces and say, "Well, a lot happened off screen that we do not see," I always reasoned that with the normal AOTC print. Now with this, you're left to think that even more, so it just underscores the lack of a love story or development of it. Next, Jar Jar's scene is missing where he gets the idea to propose the vote, so you really don't get the idea that Jar Jar just screwed this up and you DO NOT get the same level of respect and awe for Palpatine's brilliant plan to make himself emperor. Instead, it just sort of happens.

To Lucasfilm's credit, what are you going to cut in a version of a film that is going to be seen 95% by fans who've already seen the movie? They went for cutting dialogue, not action, and that was probably the best move as we all already understand the dialogue and the plot and we just wanted to see the main action on this impressive format. So I will say the cutting was probably a well done as it could have been, and not too jarring at times, but even for me, at other times, the editing was very bothersome and just plain annoyed me. I can't wait until the DVD release. I like every scene of AOTC for different reasons, and I don't like having any of them cut...

-Domed theater is not especially good. In fact, it made me dizzy at times, the

13. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Okay, I'm watching the 4 o'clock one today. TIckets were sold out yesterday. Its in a couple mintes...should be great.

14. PunkJr

PunkJr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    Hey, if any of you guys have pictures from your event, let me know! We can get them hosted and link to them from Garrison Titan for the world to see!!

15. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I don't have any pictures. Then again, when I went it wasn't really much of what you could call an event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.